1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 won't play dl discs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by True Romance, Jun 14, 2005.

1. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,353
    my ps2 won't play dl discs (gt4 original not copy) and skips when playing audio cds. it will play single layer discs without a problem. i have put a new laser in put still the same, anyone come across this problem before?
    please help!!!!!!!!

many thanks,
    neil.

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Haven't come across it myself. Have you tried a dual layer DVD?

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    As you are probably aware the second layer is harder to read than the main layer. The laser has to focus through one layer of data to the next. If the laser has been replaced and its not reading such discs then either its faulty or been poorly setup. Repairs are often problematic so when you get an iffy console often its better cutting your loses and just getting a replacement.

My ps2 which is a very early model can occasionally play up. I modified it with a messiah almost as soon as I got it. I was thinking back along that its probably never actually seen a dual layer disc as most ps2 dvds are single layer in fact changing from one layer to the next is a slow process (hence why some dvd players have annoying pauses half way through films) and such a slow layer change is not ideal for games that might be reading a music track as well as loading level data etc so most ps2 dvd games are single layer. However from the sound of it newer games are starting to use the second layer and this means that many ps2 owners who thought their ps2 operated perfectly will now face problems.

While I have all three consoles, theres a certain appeal with the gamecube that has very fast loading and never any disc errors of any kind. The same can't be said of my ps2 or xbox. I've lost count of the times I've had to take out a disc and give it a wipe. One of the reasons with the xbox is I had an early xbox that used to slightly mark the discs. It was returned but some of my early games got a bit scratched and the replacement xbox would occasionally struggle with them if there was both dust and scratches in the same location.