ps2 wireless controller

ianlecompte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi all.
looking to get a wireless controller for my ps2.i,ve seen several but do like the air shock one from lik-sang(good price also)dont want to spend more than £30.anyone got the one from lik-sang?if so would you recommend it?
thanks for looking
ian
p.s are non playstation mem cards any good.

The only wireless Playstation controler I ever owned was the ( I think sony endorsed) Logitech one. Personaly I hated it, it was way too big (and I have large hands) and I found the d-pad unresponsive to say the least, also the sticks were too long. Hence I wouldn't recommend that one.
As for third party memory cards, I wouldn't recommend them. I'm going back a bit here but I once bought a joytech memory card (psone days) and was at what must have been near the end of the second Final Fantasy7 disk. Switched the PS on one day, memory card contains no save data:eek: :eek: :eek:
From then on memory cards are the one thing I always stick with the officials:laugh:

I have the Joytech wireless controller (£18 from Play).

I have had more expensive (£40) wireless controllers in the past, and returned them after they stopped working in a matter of days. The Joytech one has not had a single problem, feels comforable, and is excellent value for money.

That Joytech looks at least like a good controller, much better than most third party attempts I've seen in the highstreet. I'm waiting for my Gamecube Wavebird controller to arrive, so long as that restores my faith in wireless controllers I'll probably order one of the Joytechs for my PS2, and then maybe even for my Xbox (I see the Joytech wireless is for both consloles:) ).
Damn all these wires! :rotfl:

Wavebird uses RF to transmit a signal as opposed to IR which most wireless pads have used before the wavebird.

Trust me, the wavebird is 100% accurate, and is 100% accurate over HUGE distances, and through almost every object...I was testing mine when I first got it and it worked from over 30m away - through a solid door, through the ceiling/floor of my bedroom, through two brick walls and even out in the street:eek: :smashin:

I hate to say it, but I have had some problems with my wavebirds. I have 4 of them, but even when only one is connected I get very occasional "dropouts" when the receiver just loses contact with the pad. It doesn't last for long (just long enough for something to shoot you when you can't move out of the way....). It seems to relate to how long I've been playing (no problems in 1st 30mins, but maybe some in next hour, more likely in following hour)

This happens with all 4 of them, even if the other 3 are all unplugged. I have no other wireless devices turned on to interfere with them, and this still happens with new batteries (various types).

Having said that, I do seem to be in a small minority!

I've never had that problem, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else who has. And to have it on 4 seems very odd.

The only thing I can suggest is your GC is faulty (or maybe the ports are just a bit dirty). Have you tried the wavebirds on another GC?

I must confess I haven't tried them with any other GCs (but then again I don't know anyone else with one!).

Normal wired controllers always work fine, and I can tell it is the connection between receiver and pad, because when it happens, the light on the receiver goes out even when I'm pressing a button.

I'd just come to the conclusion my environment must be affecting them in some way. I use my GC with a projector so sit a reasonable distance away from it (about 15 feet). I know this is within the range, but maybe that is a contributory factor.....

If you know it's the receiver then have you tried changing the input number (that little dial at the bottom of the pad and receiver)?

It could be interference from something affecting that RF channel, and if you change the channel the problem might go away

Yep - I think I must have tried almost all of the available channels.

In fact, I feel like I've also tried just about every combination of joypad socket / receiver / joypad / channel number I can think of!

As I say, it seems to be very much related to the amount of time I've been playing. I don't tend to have such long GC session lately, so to be honest, it isn't a huge issue now.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Cheers,

Richard

My wavebird very occasionally does this.Probably about as often as the dog/kids used to trip over the wire though, so it doesn't bother me!

The Joytech PS2 controller is excelletn as well - I have 2!

Joytech from play.com is great - go for it

well i thought i,d let you know i went for the air-style from lik-sang.about £23 in total.gameplay with this pad seems fine,although i dont play for long at a time,but otherwise it seems great.happy gaming to you all.

ianlecompte,

£23, Didn't you have to pay the £5 delivery from lik-sang?

Also how long did it take to arrive? the last time I ordered from lik-sang it took about 3 weeks. And I noticed that these controllers are now out of stock till the 13/05/04.

hi led zep,cant remember exact cost but no more than £24 inc.postage.it took about 1 week to arrive.
cheers
ian

Cheers Ian,

After reading the reviews I think I'll go with the air-style. Pity they can't be had in europe, save me waiting.

ledzep

For info,

I've ordered an air-style from www.simplygames.com for £30 delivered. They say that most orders arrive next working day but can take up to 10.

I also got an Official PS2 double memory pack for £22.99 delivered.

ledzep

Give us your opinion when you receive it:smashin: right now I'm between the Joytech and the Air-style:confused:
Are there any decent Xbox wireless controllers aswell? wouldn't mind getting rid of all those wires now I'm at it.
Just ordered another Wavebird from Video Games Plus, good value at £18 something inc. delivery :smashin:

Service from Simplygames was great. Next day delivery.

The Air-Style is virtually the same size as the official one. There's a bit extra (for RF) above the d-pads but it's very well weighted. It makes it feel very sturdy. It's also more rubberized on the underside, which is better for grip and doesn't make your hands sweat quite as much.

The RF seems as good as Wavebirds. Virtually no lag or drop-out.
Its scans for a frequency automatically. No channel selection required. The range is also about the same as the Wavebird (about 10M).

The shoulder buttons are a bit softer and not as clunky making it feel more responsive and tactile. They don't feel as if they'll start to stick either like the Official ones do after a bit of Pro Evo abuse.

The dual shock is pretty good as well, more subtle than the official.

A mate's got the Logitech one (about £40), and after seeing the air-style he ordered one right away and put his on eBay.

I have a couple of Wavebirds for the cube and they're fantastic. This controller easily gives them a run for their money.

I'd totally recommend this to anyone. It’s worth the £30. Buy it mate, I'm sure you wont regret it.

Cheers for the review ledzep100, sounds like a good choice, I just need to decide if it's worth the extra £12 to the Joytech. At the mo. the AirStyle is sounding pretty tempting, especialy if it's almost as good as the Wavebirds, they're the best wireless I've ever come across by a mile!

Originally posted by ianlecompte
dont forget guys,this can be had for £22.53 from lik-sang.still out of stock though.

I decided to order mine from Simplygames in the end, felt a tad cautious of being hit by import duties as I think I heard some people have been from lik-sang. Also mines gonna be a birhtday present so the Out of Stock issue wasn't so good for me. All I'll be needing next is a wireless Xbox controller, but that's another story :laugh:

Lik-Sang are charging $10 (about £5.30) for delivery. So you'd only be saving sub £2. Not worth waiting for IMO. And if you get stung for tax you'd be paying more.

Let us know what you think when it arrives, I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

ledzep

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom