PS2 Warranty

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by PJTX100, May 9, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I bought a slim PS2 for my son yesterday, he was nagging and the only place which had one in the vicinity was Gamestation - unsure if this is a big chain or not.

Anyway I asked about the warranty and was surprised to be told 1 month with them then 11 months directly with Sony - "be sure to fill out the warranty card."

Not only that - there didn't seem to be a warranty card in there, just something about onling gaming.

Any advice / views? ...PJ

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    Retailers are legally obliged to sell you something of satisfactory quality. If it breaks within a relatively short space of time (which is a different length of time for different goods, I would say for an electrical good this would be within 12 months certainly, possibly longer for some more expensive items than a PS2) due to no fault of your own, the retailer is obliged by law to replace or repair the item.

However, the warning here is that alot of retailers 'bend' the law to suit, as if they refuse to replace or repair the good, the customer would have to take action through the small claims court to get a repacement/refund. This puts alot of people off, and so the retailer often gets away with it, even though what they are doing is legally ambiguous.

If you have a look at the booklet at the Office of Fair Trading, the second paragraph says "If you have a complaint later on, it is the seller of the goods – not the manufacturer – who must sort it out."

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    All claims for faulty PS2's are dealt with by Sony themselves. You can of course return with your faulty PS2 to the place you bought it and they can deal with Sony if you prefer(but it takes longer this way). The procedure for getting a faulty PS2 sorted is to ring the Playstation Careline on 08705 998877 who will then send a cuorier to exchange your ps2 for a working one, in the case of a slimline one it will probably be a new one if its an old style one it could be a refurb.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    This is the problem with retailers these days, they just work regardless of the law. It would be more than possible for a reasonably sized store to provide a replacement immediately from their stock, but they don't because they want to neglect their responsibility, make it harder for the customer, and therefore easier for themselves.

It's the retailers responsibility to prove the item is not faulty, not the other way around. But they don't care about this because the law is weak and unenforced because people don't know their rights and let big companies get away with shoddy customer service. The way of the world today, unfortunately.

/rant

(Don't take this personally, Pooontang! I know you don't make the rules!)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Thanks for the info...PJ

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Having previously worked for a retailer who sold consoles, I would say that the hands of the retailer are very tightly bound by console manufacturers. There are many instances when a manufacturer will point blank refuse to deal with a retailer at all. Thus, if a retailer does exchange a console that is over 28 days old, the retailer is stuck with a piece of hardware that is no use to anyone at all. Even if the manufacturer then DOES take the console back, repairs it, and returns it to the retailer, they've then got to sell the goods as second hand, with the manufacturer providing no further guarantee on the goods.

I personally see NO problem in dealing direct with a manufacturer (and I mean this as a customer, rather than a retailer), as it generally allows me to get straight to the heart of a problem.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    The retailer can return faulty goods to a manufacturer, they do not get lumbered with it - I worked in a large high street music/DVD/games retailer for a couple of years myself, where I did my fair share of returns. I know how head offices encourage as few returns as possible, but it's often only 'awkward' customers (ie people that stand up for themselves) that get to return their product (if they are within their rights of course).

When in retail, I never had any trouble sending faulty hardware back to a manufacturer, so unless things have changed dramatically in the last 3 years, this should still be the case. The only trouble I got was from my boss for spending too much time with customers that weren't spending money, ie returning goods. Needless to say, I never really got on with the 'business' mentality and so now I work in a completely different field.

8. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Help!!
    My son's PS2 (out of warranty by 3 months!silver ) is no longer reading any discs (game, cd or dvd). I called sony and they want me to pay £55 to exchange for a "remanufactured" model.
    Does anyone have any idea what I might try to correct the malfunction (of the PS2 I mean :)!
    Thanks

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280

You could try one of the laser lens cleaning discs, however if the playstation is not even reading the discs this may be a problem.

try here

or here