1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Video Outputs?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by CounterWhine, Jul 12, 2002.

1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

I'm considering buying my mate's PS2. What video out options does it provide?

It'll be going into a Panasonic plasma so my input options are:

VGA
    S-Video
    RGsB
    RGBs
    RGBHV
    Composite
    Component

TIA,

D.

2. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for component.

3. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Thanks for the link.

S-Video it is then. The shared RGB/Component sockets are used by my DVD player.

D.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    component on PS2 is better than S-video IMO, but of course only any good if you have the spare inputs..

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Component is way better. You could always use a component switch box.

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    A plasma you lucky bugger

As zcapps57 correctly says go for component it will only be interlaced but it will be your best option from a pal ps2.

I do not want to put you off the ps2 mate but if I owned a plasma I would want to get the most out of it,so I would not buy your mates ps2,

I would get a import GC and xbox they both support prog scan and the picture on your plasma will blow you away.

Only my opinion but I thought I would just chip in

Happy gaming;)

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a prog scan XBox feeding into my Plasma and to be honest I am hard pressed to tell the difference between that and interlaced component.

I have also been told there is a hack to enable PS from a PS2. Don't know if it is true but will be looking into it.

Neil

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Messiah

another plasma owner I'll have to win the lottery or something.
    Is your xbox a import? as the pal xbox only displays a interlaced picture comparable to RGB scart.

The import xbox displays a jawdropping prog scan picture I witnessed this while in vegas on holiday and it blew me away.

I have heard nothing about a hack for the ps2 but there is only one game that supports prog scan anyway and that is Tekken 4.
    All the Xbox games will give you a prog scan picture of some description.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi fuzzybee

I have a UK Xbox with Enigmah fitted and using the Video Select CD. Once you set this to NTSC and connect the Hi-Def pack it gives the option in the Video setting screen for 480p, 720p and 1080i. I therefore assume that it is outputting a prog scan signal but maybe it just thinks it is but isn't.

I'm hoping to get a US XBox this week and will then know for sure.

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Messiah

As you say mate it should be displaying a prog scan picture?
    I am no expert in prog scan as sadly my toshiba tv only displays interlaced component but it is still a superb picture.

It breaks my heart when I turn on my import GC and on some games it asks me if I want to display the game in prog scan.

If I select yes the screen goes bloody blue(GUTTED).

Maybe I was blown away by being in vegas and seeing a xbox for the first time but from what I have read you should see a big improvement in picture quality?

I bet it looks fantastic anyway on your plasma you lucky begger one day I will have one???????????????????

Let us know how you get on with your import Xbox

all the best Fuzzybee
    :D :D

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed the only PS2 title that supports Prog.scan atm is Tekken 4, but component would be the best type of connection without doubt. As for prog.scan you should see a fair bit of difference since theres no interlacing.

The Xbox does prog.scan via hardware I'm told so potentially every Xbox title can output via 480p, but other games would need coding to achieve 1080i (Sega GT). Of course Sega GT isn't out yet so all of this data can't be 100% confirmed, but I'm about 75% sure of this data myself. I guess we'll all have to wait and see... Personally I'd opt for a chipped US Xbox since boot disks can be annoying.

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Neoblade

The boot disk is not the problem cos once you set it to NTSC using the Video Select CD is retains that setting until you change to PAL, no matter how many times you reboot, switch on/off etc.

Unfortunately my plasma does not indicate what type of signal it is receiving although it does show a scan rate of 31.xx Hz. I'll probably wait till I get my projector as that will definitely show the input signal. I'm guessing if I set the XBox for 480p it should be outputting it and I am not getting any red or blue screen or anything like that so I guess maybe my plasma is indeed displaying a non-interlaced pic.

The only other downer using component on the XBox (for me anyway) is that it displays a much darker picture.

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah, I think you posted that info before but other Xbox owners haven't posted anything like it yet... If its true though then I'll get a UK one, chip that and get the ISO.

I'm still waiting for my TV to test out prog scan so I can't comment on the darker screen, maybe its the component cables?

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well. I played a bit on a couple of US backups last night - DOA3 and Halo. The picture was absolutely AWESOME so I am assuming that maybe only the US NTSC games will be output in PS. BUT, this is from my UK XBox with Hi-Def pack, fitted with the Enigmah chip and using the Enigmah VS CD to set the box to NTSC and then selecting 480P in the Video settings menu.

Must say, that the UK discs look pretty good as well but, in my opinion, just not quite as good as those US discs.

Oh, and the brightness was just perfect as well. Don't know what I did to the set up but again it may be bacause of the US discs.

My advice, wouldn't bother importing a US XBox. Just get yourself a UK one, chip it and get the VS CD ISO. Gaming nirvana if you have a PS video device.

Enjoy :D :D :D

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, well I'm looking into the Xbox to complete the trio of next gen consoles but I won't buy the Xbox just yet. There are quite a few other things higher up on the list to get first. At this rate though I won't be getting one till next year which won't be so bad. Halo and Tekki are the only Xbox titles that interest me anyway since DoA is a mashers game IMO (Although its good when you're mates are around if they're not good at SFA3, Tekken, VF4, etc). JSR:F is sweet but I've hardly played the DC original.

Other Xbox games like Project Ego could be interesting as well as the DMC-ish Ninja Gaiden. ShenMue II is there of course but I've got that on the DC. So all in all, waiting until next year to buy an Xbox won't be that bad, by then it should have some better games.

17. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    How does one get component from a UK PS2? I have found an S-Video cable on-line but not component.

Cheers,

Andy trump

18. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Err anyone reckon this is one? :)

Andy Trump

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That would certainly do the trick. Damned good price too. I bought my Cable Logic oine from AV4U.co.uk but was totally done on the price. £49 plus £5 postage. I'm not too bitter though as I'm gonna do a price match on Barclaycard.

Order it, you will not regret it. I was absolutely amazed at the differnce between the PS2 composite/S-Vid output and componenet. far bigger difference in my opinion than the XBox Advanced AV cable -- >> HiDef kit.

20. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Cool, it's on the way. I only wish it actually said Component on the description. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll see when it turns up, the picture does show red, green and blue plugs though. ;)

Andy Trump

21. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yes mate that is a component cable but

I would certainly not buy that.
    It looks a bit on the cheap side compare it to the GC one and you will see what I mean.
    I would suggest you get the official one,they have them in HMV and they are about £20.
    With cables you get what you pay for.

:confused: :confused:

22. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    At that price I'll get it and see how it looks. If it sucks I'll look at a better one. :)

Cheers,

Andy Trump

23. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember if Messiah was looking for prog.scan from his PS2... Fact is that you won't. Simply using a component cable won't turn the image into prog.scan. However you would need the component cable for games designed with prog.scan in mind.. i.e Tekken 4 and possibly Robotech. Simply owning a component cable isn't enough, since I used to think it was.

However you will see a huge increase in quality over S-Video and (heaven forbid once again) composite. If you have an RGB scart lead though then the difference won't be major.

Just remember that for the PS2 and GC, the games itself must be programmed for 480p... For the Xbox though it does it internally via its own dedicated hardware so any game can be in 480p.

As for UK component cables, I haven't seen any on sale >_< Lik-sang has a 3rd party one on the cheap but I'll keep on looking. Well worth the cash though.

24. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yeah I know it won't be Prog Scan, I was just looking for the best way to connect my PS2 to my new projector which doesn't have an RGB SCART socket.

Cheers,

Andy Trump

25. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could have bought a 42" RP, but I didn't like the idea of screen burn and the low viewing angle, so I opted for a CRT. Still, RP can offer a decent picture if you sit at the right distance. Easily though component would offer a better picture for the PS2, all it needs now are more prog.scan capable games. I wonder if Gran Turismo 4 would be...

26. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have a 41" RPTV and have used it for a couple of years with consoles. I think if you don't leave it forever on a static screen and don't have the contrast too wild all should be fine.

But when I said projector I meant my Panasonic AE100 projecting on a 92" screen. Just to clear that up...... Muahahahahah! :devil:

Sorry, smug-mode disengaged. I still can't believe I have a projector. Hehe ;)

Andy Trump

27. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I wouldn't get a projector just yet. Purely because I don't have the space and cash for it. I would rather have a plasma though since image quality means a lot more to me than just the size of the screen. Plus I need another job >_< Either that or I can go back into education, extending my knowledge from what I'm learning from home already. Hopefully by the time I'm 30 or so I'll have the setup I want. As for now though I'm quite happy with my current setup, given my budget and room size into consideration.

Sooo much money spent on the AV rig and on my consoles... Things would be a lot worse if I owned a car...