1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 v GC v XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by icequake2000, Mar 26, 2002.

1. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which system has the best games. I am not so worried how smooth the graphics look I am more conserned with the game play.

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    If it's pure gameplay you want, the answer is easy: Gamecube. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of my N64.

RDB :)

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. So many ways to answer that question.

OK, PS2 has a large catalogue (even larger back catalogue if you take PS1 into account) conventional wisdon would therefore say that it MUST have the best games by dint of the sheer number of titles. Gamecube and XBOX are relatively unknown quantities as yet, they haven't been around long enough to have a history to look back on however NEVER underestimate Nintendo, they know exactly what gameplay is. XBOX is a gamers machine and, judiging by the quality of the launch titles and some of the upcoming second wave, it will quickly have a very rounded choice of game styles. If Halo is anything to go by it will be easy to hold its head up in Sony and Nintendo's company.

I actually bought an XBOX myself but based my choice on the potential of the format. PS2 looked very good but I didn't see much of an improvement over the Dreamcast in terms of graphics, I believe gameplaywise the DC might still have the edge! What little I saw of the XBOX made a bigger impression, graphically it was visibly better than anything I had seen before. I saw my first Gamecube yesterday, running Wave Race, and I must admit it was hard to see much of a difference compared to the N64. I realise a comment like that will probably get me flamed big style on this forum but it is my honest opinion. I hope I'm wrong as I believe an even playing field will benefit everyone.

I suppose the simple answer to your question is PS2, but the GC , whilst graphically challenged, will pile on the gameplay as only Nintendo know how. If you had to take a risk on a format it would have to be XBOX, there is sooo much potential there and the graphics are flying already.

Take your pick.

4. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chicken balti,

you should see Biohazard (Residental Evil) on GameCube.
    It does look better than any games on XBOX. :D
    Most people say, it is the best visually looking game up to date.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a PS2 about 5 weeks ago and have not regretted it for a second!

The games I've bought are:

Wipeout Fusion
    Devil May Cry
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Gran Turismo 3
    Red Faction

Every one of them is a classic (IMHO).

I would seriously recommend a PS2!

Lex.:cool:

6. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Wait for Taz's subjective and impartial review of these consoles.

He has all three (along with a stonking PC) so is in the best position to comment.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have all three - since their respective release dates in Japan so am in a good position to comment. However, it's a very individual choice as to what games you enjoy playing.

As for the Gamecube being "graphically challenged", this is complete rubbish. The fact is, the PS2 cannot touch the Gamecube in terms of graphics power and effects. You might say the PS2 can shift more raw polygons but this means very little in reality. I'm sure Taz will agree with me on this point. Waverace, while very similar to the N64 version, is leaps and bounds away in terms of graphics. I have yet to see any other console (or coin-up for that matter) being able to replicate the water effects to such a high degree.

The PS2's huge back catalogue is precisely it's falling point in my opinion. Since I've owned it, I have been extremely underwhelmed. That was until Metal Gear 2 came out which is simply stunning and worth the price of the PS2 alone. Many don't have the luxury of purchasing a console for the purposes of playing one game but I can honestly say that this is the only reason you should even be considering a PS2. As an example, I would say the first four games released for the Gamecube have gave me more enjoyment than the the entire PS2 back catalogue. On the other hand, Metal Gear 2 is better than any Gamecube games yet released (with the possible exception of Pikmin but comparisons are hard as Pikmin is the very definition of original).

Which brings me on to the XBOX. It is graphically superior to the aformentioned consoles and has Halo. Halo is stunning - in it's own way as good as Metal Gear 2. But at this moment in time, Halo is the only reason that makes you shout out "BUY AN XBOX."

When it comes down to it though, you will only be able to play Zelda and Mario on Gamecube. If the history of these titles is anything to go by then these will be two of the best games you will ever experience - and you won't experience them anywhere but on the Gamecube.

If gameplay is the deciding factor in your decision, it's not a very hard decision to make. The XBOX is very nice though and has a lot of potential.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I simply have to disagree with that comment - there are many more reasons to buy a PS2 other than MGS2. Of course it all depends on what type of games you like, but the PS2 probably has the widest variety. It IMHO has by far the best controller in the Dualshock2. It also has the best driving game in GT3. It is also the cheapest option at the moment as well as you can get many games for far less than XBOX or GC (I have not payed more than £29.99 for any of my games so far). It is also the best looking piece of hardware!!;)
    And Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid etc are all exclusive to Playstation.

Personally I have nerver liked Nintendo consoles - for me they have always been more of a kids console. I know they have Resident Evil etc but the look of the graphics always seems to have that soft cartoony feel to them.

It is all personal preference I suppose and I respect anyone's opinion on the matter, but to me it has to be the PS2!!

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Indeed it does have the widest variety. I have 32 games for my PS2 (all originals). Compare this to the N64 which I owned for 4 years and only amassed 20 titles. All were triple A mind you.

The Dualshock is a nice controller but please please please do not say it is better than the Gamecube controller. The Gamecube is widely regarded throughout the industry as being they most comfortable of them all. Have you played with one?

GT3 is a brilliant driving game but it doesn't offer much over the the original GT game on the PS1 (which was also brilliant).

This is not an entirely fair arguement. The Gamecube is not available yet but if we are comparing the two, it must be on an equal footing. The Gamecube will retail for less than the PS2. Therefore it is the cheaper option (when available). I do not pay more than £30 for any of my Gamecube games though I am buying imports which is not really a fair comparison to PAL buyers. OK, I'll give you this one - Gamecube games are likely to retail for £35-£40 though I am sure the likes of Play247 will be selling for less. Best Looking? That is entirely objective.

Wipeout and Tomb Raider have appeared on numerous formats over the past few years. I adored the original Wipeout on PS1 but none of the subsequent sequels have equalled it in terms of playability. What use are exclusives when they are simply tired derivatives. Pikmin and Zelda are the type of exclusives worthy of the name. Sony imitate, Nintendo innovate.

I cannot believe you have said that. Nintendo games have a depth of playability unmatched by any other software design company. You should never base your buying decisions on graphics alone. You have missed out on some of the most creative and fun gaming experiences ever created my friend. With that attitude, you will continue to do so.

Please don't take my comments as retaliatory strikes. I completely respect your opinion. Everyone's an individual and everyone likes different things. It may seem like I'm dissing the PS2 but my comments are coming from a sorely dissapointed gamer in the lost potential of the PS2 compared to PS1. I own one, remember, and I have 32 games I obviously thought were worthy of purchase. In all honesty though, not one of them even comes close to Goldeneye or Zelda:Ocarina of Time on N64.

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid i have to agree with the previous comments on Nintendo graphics. Whilst I can appreciate the quality, I just don't like the look of them. It's a personal opinion and in no way a critisism. For me, the Xbox looks simply fantastic and is the one I will go for. At the mo, I still have a PS1 so I'm a bit behind the times but have been spending a lot of time in game shops and hunting down demos in order to make my choice of replacement. I like the look of GT3 and GTA3 on the PS2 but it's just a little past it if you ask me, I wonder what Xbox and GC games will look like in 12 months time once they have it sussed.

S

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you played Wipeout Fusion? Personally I think it is a thousand times better than any of its predecessors. The ships have genuinely individual handling characteristics, and the courses are superb. And then there's the graphics!

The new Tomb Raider game (Angel of Darknes - see my TR thread) looks absolutely stunning. And it will be exclusive to the PS2.

I haven't missed out on any of the games as you suggest - I used to own an N64, but I never liked it. As I said before I just don't like the Nintendo style.

Whilst I seriously love Halo and Munch's Odyssey on the XBOX, I have yet to see any game which appeals to me on the Gamecube. Games like Pikmin and Zelda are, for my tastes, a little too immature - I don't mean that offensively, I am just trying to express that for me the GC is more for kids than adults.

As for the price - I know that the Gamecube console will be cheaper than the PS2 - But because the PS2 has been around that much longer you tend to get plenty of bargains/Sales etc for the games (plus the new platinum range).

I definitely do not think that the PS2 is 'past it' - It has just as much potential for great games in the future as the other two. (Just look at how PSX games progressed/evolved during it lifetime).

Sony are also releasing LINUX kits for PS2 this year as well so that us mere mortals at home can start creating our own games! Sounds great!

I am sure that whichever of the consoles people choos they wont be disappointed - they all have great potential. I just wish all three of them would bring their prices down a little, especially in the UK. I believe the consoles here are just about the most expensive in the world!:(

12. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The truth is that PS2 cannot shift more polygons than GameCube.
    A lot of hardware manufacturers publish their hardware spec in theoretical terms. But Nintendo didn't. They published GameCube's spec on real life pratical basis unlike sony and M$.

PS2 has 4MB video memory, and does not even support hardware texture compression. Every compression has do be done in software level. And this causes big hit on the hardware processing power.
    While GamesCube does support 6:1 S3TC (S3's Texture Compression) in hardware level. - let texture data be shrunk to one-sixth its original size, with no appreciable hit on the hardware.

Simple logic. How can PS2 possiblly throw more polygons than GC with inferior CPU/GPU/cache/memory/hardware ?

A lot of hardware professionals/enthusiasts reckons that one cannot possibly judge if XBOX is capable of more processing power than GameCube.

Well it is 100% known fact that IBM's PowerPC based Gekko running at 485 MHz is faster than Intel's 733 P3. Plus the Gekko has twice the L1 and L2 cache than Intel's.

Plus, the S3 texture compression, the GameCube is able to display eight simultaneous textures per object, compared with the Xbox's ability to display just four in hardware. And GC's 1T-SRAM embedded in Flipper has higher bandwidth than XBOX's DDR memory. You can think of GameCube has no memory/RAM at all. Instead L3 cache. - It is designed this way to minimise the bottleneck caused by memorys.

Does anyone know how many polygons that the DOA3 for XBOX throws ? It throws only 9 millions of polygons per second.
    Still XBOX might be able to throw more polygons when it's maxed out than GameCube, but GameCube can get around this by throwing more textures.
    Yet, noone know unless there's gonna be a reference benchmark software running on both systems.

13. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thanks groundy.

Interesting reading. I do believe that it had been acknowledged by several games magazines that Wipeout Fusion is not a patch on its predessesors and is also very likely to be released on XBox and GC (possible tweaked in light of the criticisms levelled at the PS2 version).

14. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you guys above.

There you have it, no clear answer. Whilst the 'my games console's better than yours' debate may rankle with some it should not be dismissed. In absolute terms it is generally irrelevant because of the many comments made above BUT it is entirely relevant when a personal buying decision is being made. I looked at Gamecube, PS2 and XBOX and chose XBOX because I think it has a lot more to offer than the other two. Case closed..

Eric's technical knowledge of the various formats is formiddable and he is obviously defending Nintendo's corner, that's great but GC doesn't do anything for me personally, likewise PS2. It seems to me that some of us are already falling into the trap of criticising software based on the hardware performance of a particular system. If XBOX has the technical muscle to take us into new game styles and advanced levels of graphical finesse it will all be worth nothing if the softco's don't get their act together. We cannot therefore make legitimate comments on the specific gameplay merits of a particular type of game and tie it to the merits (good or bad) of the relevant hardware. If that was the case the Gameboy would never have taken off!

You make your own choices and stand or fall by them. I didn't make my decision based on the specs, I looked at what was available and considered the future. XBOX won. I am still blown away by Halo and DOA3, not bad for the first wave eh?

15. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many good comments above. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste. A particular console will always be better for one person and worse for another. I'm off to Austria for a week skiing now and will certainly not miss playing any of them.

16. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am fortunate enough to own all three consoles (UK for XBOX and PS2, Import for GC) and have no bias to a particular console.

One of the first questions to ask is whether you want the DVD capability? If you do, rule out the Gamecube straight away. Also, are you going to be interested in online play? If so, the XBOX looks the best bet as the broadband capability is built in.

In my opinion, the XBOX has had the best launch. I was underwhelmed in Nov 2000 when the PS2 came out and I was even more underwhelmed with the GC launch. I don't think Wave Race is as good as the N64 version and Luigis Mansion is no Mario 64. Rogue Squadron looks incredible but the gameplay is lacking. The only game I have really played much is Super Monkey Ball. However, my two favourite games of all time are GoldenEye and Zelda: Ocarina of Time so I know the GC is worth having. They will deliver. Those that questions the GC's graphical abilities are wrong - take a look at Rogue Squadron or Biohazard. I don't believe that Halo is the only good launch game on XBOX. I have played Amped and Rallisport Challenge just as much and JSRF is waiting in the wings. It was also interesting to play Max Payne which ran like a dog on the PS2. The XBOX version is in a different league. It also has DD5.1 out of the box which for me is a big selling point.

The PS2 now has a number of great titles - GTA3, MGS2 (I was a bit disappointed actually but that's a whole other thread), Devil May Cry. Pro Evolution etc. You can also get some good deals at the moment and you know it is around for the long term.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you like. One of my girlfriends colleagues just asked me for some advice on which console to buy. He said he loves FPS and online play so I told him to get an XBOX and Halo. (Before anyone says, he didn't want a PC).

17. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't trying to defend Nintendo's corner.
    There seem to be pretty many people with a bit of misconception that GameCube is inferior hardware than XBOX or even PS2. I was trying to help them. :D

There are a lot of hypes with hardware manufacturers.
    For example, I bought the Playstation2 on the launch day in Japan. (It was March 2000) Sony had said that the hardware is 1000 times more powerful than PS1, it's processing power is very comparable to today's most advanced worstations, etc.
    Now what is it.... most people admits that PS2 does not even have a processing power to make games look better than Sega's DreamCast console.
    Well, I must admit that PS2 is the worst console I've purchased.

The answer to this thread this simple.
    Ask youself. Why would one buy a Game console ?
    To play games. There is no doubt that this is the prime factor.
    Buy a console that has games you like.
    Don't decide on hardware's power.
    I've always been buying most( if not all) of consoles in the market, and it is the games that makes the use of hardware, not the hardware itself.
    I also admit that I'm going to end up buying an XBOX as well, but at this moment, I cannot see a single game that I'd want to play on XBOX.

18. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thank for the advice. I think I am going to go the ps2 for now because of the price and for the better choice of games.