PS2 unusable on new LG Plasma

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Locash, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys sorry to bother you, I just setup my new LG 42PX-11 with my PS2 and i have noticed that there is an awful delay between what you press on the pad and what happans on the screen, the worst example at the moment is GT4 which is unplayable due to the delay in seeing a response from the controller.

Currently i am using an S-Video lead for the PS2 and i have a component lead on order.

Anyone think this weird lag problem will be resolved by switching to component input or is it a TV flaw/fault.

I need to know so i can return the TV as i bought it primarly for consoles and at the moment all of them are unusable because of the lag.

Sorry for the questions but i am a total plasma noob and this has me completely baffled.

Thanks in Advance

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's true there is often a bit of lag in a system, you often hear of lip synch being an issue with TV on plasma, mostly sky. I have seen a system where the addition of a video scaler made the console unplayable, but never when directly connected to a plasma. Not that experienced with the LG in particular though, perhaps some of the LG owners can comment on their own screen's performance in this respect.

3. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ya its odd i am not experiencing any lip sync problems with any television programs, but the moment you try a console the delay in what you see is really noticable.

Driving games are un playable as the cars are impossible to steer and just fish tail up the roads as you are constantly correcting out of sync to whats happening on the PS2.

At the moment it looks like the tv going back as its unsable in its current state, just kinda odd as i have not seen this issue on my friends panasonic plasma.

Anyone else got any hints or tips that might resolve this problem?

4. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    dont you have to set the menu in the ps2, to tell it what connection ect your working off..something like that

5. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep you do but my component cable has not arrived yet, plus its affecting all my consoles the same. Gamecube, Xbox etc all have unplayable lag.

6. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    there was a post about this within the last 2 weeks on here, im buggered if i can find it, but if i remember rightly there was an answer that sorted it

7. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a search aswell and have not turned anything up. Am just hoping that company wont be a pain about returning the tv.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,648
    Not seen anything like this on mine with my Xbox to be honest. Connected via component, played Forza motorsport demo and it was fine, Incredibles was fine too.

Cheers
    Andy

9. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply ZAndy gives me a little hope that the problem might go away when the component cables arrive next week.

10. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    you buy an LG u get LG quality its simple, spend some more money get a better quality, got a PW5 works a treat no problems on S-video or component. I know the same for a friend with a JVC. Another has an LG and yes you see a difference. Thats why they are at different prices. I know still £1.5k is alot of money, but sometimes ask yourself why is it cheaper!

11. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all just thought i would update this just incase anyone with an LG has the same problem.

I phoned LG support and described the symptoms with the lag, the way AV1 has allmost no lag and the further you move up the AV chain the worse the lag gets.

They are sending an engineer out to upgrade the firmware on the tv to the .18 version as i have the .16 revision, if that fails then the tv is being swapped out as faulty.

At the moment it looks like the TV is faulty, maybe the firmware update will correct it if not a new one will be on the way.

12. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    bit harsh imo.

13. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree :thumbsdow

I've had my LG for a month now and never experienced any lip sync problems or PS2/Game cube delays....

And believe me, I've tested every cable/port combination for quality reasons.

Sounds like your LG is faulty.

The only problem I seem to have is a nasty rainbow effect when selecting a new car in GT4..... anybody else seen this ?

14. bananas

bananas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive got my Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 all hooked up to my LG and everything is fine. Have you checked all the settings and returned them to 'default' just in case you've enabled something in the various picture setting menus?

15. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i have my xbox connected by componant did use scart at first, all i play is driving games and have no lag at all on my lg.

perhaps when ur fishtailing on gt4 ur just rubbish at it and ur blaming the plasma lol :rotfl: :clap: :devil:

16. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have my ps2 connected via svideo to lg and never had any problems.

17. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya guys thanks for the flurry of replys :)

I have seen the rainbow effect when picking the car if you mean the colour banding on the background i get it all the time, doesnt really bother me though.

I have gone through all the menus and disabled everything, reset all the menus and factory defaults etc and the problem remains.

If it was just me fishtailing in GT4 i could put it down to my lack of skills ;) but i have had alot of friends over who have put the pad down in disgust saying its unplayable after just a few laps :(

18. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My PS2 is connected through composite ( which is the worst connection ) and I don't have any delay problems.

19. asix

asix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i tryed locashes tv yesterday and even the composite gave a small delay not as bad as on av5 which was unplayable but still some delay.

20. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Asix - what are you on about composite is AV5 !, and there is no delay at all on mine through this port.

21. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    my tuppence worth - I've had my xbox connected through both scart and component with no delay problems. I'm mostly playing pro evo and colin McRae until Forza arrives :) Know this doesn't help your situation but at least you know it's not an LG problem, most likely just your set (although it seems odd to me like)

Dan

22. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Locash make sure you keep us updated with your problem, it sounds weird and i am sure it is a faulty set but any sort of lag or delay in a TV sets of the alarms in my head. I own a projector and i have experienced sound delay as everyone has with a projector but most things are fine and when there is an issue it rears its ugly head with sky digital but it is usually fine but the fact that its different from channel to channel makes me think its more an issue with sky than my projector. If you are buying just for games i would recommend the h30 projector for less than £900. Can't beat it for image quality and images over 100 inch, it will change your gaming days for life so if your set is faulty try get a refund and buy the h30 ;)

23. tetrarch

tetrarch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kris,

I notice that on your footer you say "Kameleon 6 in 1 - movement sensor removed"

How do you do that and how then do you activate the controls?

Regards

Tet

PS sorry for hijacking the thread

24. zorg

zorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am running gt4 (ps2)with a component-in cable and have not noticed any lagg at all, must be your machine/set or cables??

zorg

25. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345

open it up mate, and slide! the circuit board out of the metal case.
    ul notice a silver rectangle metal case, around half inch long it will be marked sw1 on the board, just desolder/cut one end, leave the other end connected incase u decide to reverse the procedure and thats it! thats the movement sensor.

to activate the buttones just press anywhere on the pad and it will illuminate then press the button u want ;)

26. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Small update, still waiting for my local engineers to get back to me. They didnt want to upgrade the firmware as the latest version is just fixes to sound processing and wont help the video lag.

Odd thing is now the lag seems to be going away, allmost like it took the tv some time to settle after it was unpacked, or me an my mates are just getting used to it :)

27. Mykl

Mykl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a bit late but, after a 18 months of owning an LG RZ 42PX11 I hae tried to play golf, bowling and GT4 on my PS2 and cannot there seems to be a delay between what you do and what you see.

The frustration is massive and it is putting me off buy a Wii or PS3.

Any help would be great.

Mykl

28. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Turn off any picture engines in the menu, like MPEG NR etc.

29. Locash

Locash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to resurect this zombie thread, this issue was caused by all the old games using 480i and the tv lagging the signal when converting to 480p.

The problem is resolved by setting progressive scan on everything so the tv does less work.

I had to get a US version of GT4 in the end so i could enable prog scan and it was then perfect.

30. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

LOL, total garbage!!!!

I have four consoles through an LG and they all work flawlessly.

You blast LG and then own up to having a 'friend' with a JVC :rotfl: