1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 unlockable for px11?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by LEEMJONES, Apr 30, 2005.

1. LEEMJONES

LEEMJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

might be a stupid question but I have noticedd that a lot of people are saying they have modded their xbox to output at a higher res so therefore achieve a superior picture quality on the plasma when using component cables. I was wondering if something like this is achieveable for the PS2. I think that the PS2 is 320x200 but I am sure I once saw a vga disc that took it to 640x400. Any advice would be appreciated or is it just a case of wait for PS3 in 2006?

Cheers

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use component cables for my PS2 and there is a setting in the ps2 dash for changing from rgb to component output. Quite what it outputs I couldnt tell you.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It outputs 576i, no other signals are possible from a PS2

4. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, but the US and Jap versions are HI-def.

As usual the British version is stuck at 576i....

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on game support - ie. 60hz, or even progressive display (Soul Calibur for example)

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep,

US & Jap versions of Gran Turismo 4 can output a 1080i picture when using component output as usual the Euro PAL version has had this ripped out.

I'm pretty sure that the UK PAL PS2 can only output 576i as MAW suggests.

Not sure about the Linux pack with VGA cable though.

S.

7. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    no UK version is hi-def compatible....and pro-scan neither

US and Jap versions have a prog-scan option in the main menu and could output 1080i

BUT.....

only SCPH-50001 models and newers
    so if you have an NTSC older version you're screwed anyway, also there's nothing to unlock with the Sony crappy machine

if you need some further info, go here
    http://ps2newz.net/forums/index.php?s=

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for that BigGanga, knowlegeable backup at last. So it's 576i/25Hz only.

9. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem... I HAVE Soul Calibur II (UK/Pal), and a UK spec PStwo, along with the official Sony component leads, and I can assure you that it DOES allow you to do 60hz progressive scan (480p). This can be confirmed with the OSD/options of the display.

As I said, this is entirely up to the game - unfortunately I don't think there are too many others apart from SCII that have the option :(

10. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So your not going to apologise for being only half right then, what's new... :rotfl:

You really are MAW, the unhappy chappy from the film :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    MAW....welcome :D

well yeah, I forgot to mention it
    anyway PSTwo is a slighty (I'd say even worse) different console and I think LEEMJONES was referring to the "traditional" PS2

yes and no
    honestily...can you see any major improvement whe pro-scan is ON?
    on the other hand switching from 50Hz to 60 is noticeble

IMHO PS2 is the most useless piece of junk EVER. Before being released I remember how the higher ups at Sony described it as a revolutionary machine
    matter of fact is It's a delicate, crappy, hard-to-program device that can't even handle anti-aliasing
    much worse than good ol' Dreamcast

In that link I gave in my previous post there's a big thread about granturismo4 and the fact It looks identical in 480 or 1080

now if some of you weren't aware of it GT's creator (Kazunori Yamauchi) is widely considered the most talented programmer of the last 10 years, the only one who was able to use 99.9% of old PS1 potential with the first GranTurismo
    I think programmers around the world just don't wanna bother dealing with a complicated hardware getting poor results

12. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PStwo is slightly different, but not in it's 50hz/60hz/Pro Scan support (AFAIK).

Although from what I've read, it may be the case that you need to go into the console settings and as well as setting component to Y Pb Pr, set the display to widescreen. That's how I had mine set anyway :)

And yes, the Pro-Scan is significantly better. If only there was more support for it (or the ability to set it universally).

Although I think your PS2 comments are a little strong. Sure, it's not easy to program, but it's a pretty damn capable machine. I have a real soft spot for the Dreamcast, but that had it's own programming issues as well (lack of raw fill rate).

(I was a fan of PowerVR, especially when the alternative for PC rendering was 3dfx's pass through cards - but it needed specific support to get the performance. A real shame).

13. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    sorry, but I honestily admit I hate it :D
    too bad I'm "forced" to own one since I only play RPGs and shmups, with few exceptions such as WE, MGS, SH..
    what I hate even more (although this may sound childish) is what Sony has turned into. "style over quality" thanks to Kutaragi and Idei. Side note: both of them have been removed, now a welsh-american is the new CEO

and yes I confirm PS2 is a piece of junk, same as the PSP (according to gamespot.com, over 40% of PSPs shipped around the world are faulty...and I'm not only talking about the dead pixels issue)

as I said though, the difference between PAL 50Hz and NTSC pro-scan 60Hz is, obviously, significant
    but the difference 60Hz-60Hzproscan is near to nothing, at least not as significant as with a GameCube
    not to mention the pretended 1080i compatibility......
    however this my impression running GT4 at my mate's house with a PSTwo

If this seems too strong I invite you to do a comparison:
    try Dead Or Alive 2 and Shikigami no Shiro II on both DC and PS2. You'll find the difference is HUGE, especially in case of SnS II: on PS2 (due to its poor graphic card with half the ram of powerVR) It "loads" before any final stage boss

There's also a reason Capcom chose the gamecube for RE4, stating that the PS2 version (IF there is one) will look like ****

about DC, yes I kinda agree with you.
    anyway people at Sega have always demonstrated they're great when It comes to hardware/software but RETARDS when It comes to marketing strategies and businness in general
    also the fact they relied on Genki for porting their most succesful games (such as VirtuaFighter 3) is still a mistery
    On the other hand, third parts companies still love and support DC. Trizeal has been relesed just last month. Ther's still a lot of potential to discover

P.S.
    my english still sucks after 2 years, and when I write longer posts It sucks even more
    :hiya: