1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 to TV/Amp - best connection?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Phil.LFC, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I want to connect my PS2 to my TV with RGB and also to my DD/DTS amp. I've got an old PS1 scart lead that accepts RGB and the picture looks stunning but it has no audio leads so I just get sound from my TV. I could run audio leads from my TV to my amp but I currently just run them from my Skybox as it sounds better. Does the PS2 output S-Video as this could be another option?
    Is there a lead available which would support DD 5.1?
    Any suggestions welcome!
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 does support SVHS via an optional lead,the offical one costs £20 but cheaper can probably be got.
    The offical lead has a SVHS plug and two phono connections for the audio on it not a SCART.
    The only way you will get any DD/DTS from the PS2 is to use the optical port on the back,you should also be aware that the only proper DD/DTS (5.1) used in PS2 games is USUALLY in cut scenes/intros etc and not in the game itself.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    my ps2 is connected to my projector and i connected an optical lead to my amp to get the souns

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the info.
    I've bought a PS2 to S-video connector with 2 phono leads for £7 from Game. I've connected the S-Video plug to Ext4 S-Video socket on my TV which happily is at the back. Seems on a par with RGB so I'm happy with it. I'll probably get an optical lead later, perhaps when the games start using DD/DTS a lot more.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO You're better off using the RGB Scart cable and an optical cable for sound. S-Video doesn't offer a great picture for me but it varies. As for 5.1 sound on the PS2... You won't hear any real time effects anytime soon. I've heard from someone on this forum (soz mate, forgot the name!) that EA have struck a deal with someone so they can use 4.1 in their games. As for true DD5.1 its not going to happen for the PS2. The best alternative would be Pro Logic II which is pretty good.

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Someone made a similar comment at the recent projector shootout too. But SSX Tricky (which has obviously been out for some time) encodes the soundtrack in DTS in real-time (DTS-interactive) and sounds great. :) And no it isn't just cut-scenes or whatever it is in game sounds.

It makes sense to use DTS over Dolby Digital for games really as (theoretically at least) DTS encoding would take less CPU time than Dolby Digital as it is less compressed.

Andy Trump

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Andy

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but SSX tricky is only DTS 4.0 not 5.1 and there is a big difference.
    As for comparing DTS to DD you would need a very high end system to notice any difference in the sound decoding.

:D

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Burst away! :D

Hehe that's interesting, is DTS 4.0 no centre or monoaural surround? All I know is it sounds great and kicks Pro-Logic II's ass.

I agree, my point was that I was expecting to see Dolby Digital on games before DTS. But when I sat down and thought about it (I probably should get out more) the CPU usage thing kinda made sense to me.

Andy Trump

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Andy

You are right mate DD5.1 would be to much for the ps2.
    As for pro logic II
    Have you heard RL on GC it is absolutely amazing and certainly sounds better than SSX Tricky IMO.

:D

10. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I saw it at the recent projector shootout but only via S-Video and in stereo I think. My son is getting RL and a GC for his birthday next month (whether the little bugger likes it or not :devil:) so I'll see.

Does anyone know of any FAQs online about the pro's cons of import GCs versus Euro ones? I'd like prog scan for my projector but am a bit hazy on whether this can be achieved with Euro models. I've yet to read up on it all really.:rolleyes:

Andy Trump

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO Pro Logic II is pretty sweet and since it will be the standard for Gamecube games expect the technology to keep on improving. With RL it really works well, IMO its best to turn down the music a little or turn it off completely so you can hear the PLII magic at work. Theres even an audio test screen for you to try out.

---------------------
    Pros for import GCs... Progressive scan, software will come out a lot earlier than in Europe, full screen, full speed, cheaper software, most will be modded to play Jap and USA games.

Cons... Not RGB ready out-of-the-box without a modified component/DVI cable. Won't matter if you plan to use component anyway.

Pros for Euro GCs... Er... It uses component but the image will be interlaced. RGB enabled.

Cons... No guarantee of full speed, full screen gaming, although some games do offer a 60Hz option. Games are more expensive and the release date is a joke (same goes for all consoles mind). No progressive scan.
    -----------------------

The Freeloader disk will be out in Aug.. This will allow for multi-region gaming on ANY Gamecube. However I do not know if it will enable the PAL 60/NTSC signal if you play an import on a european console... Which again will allow for full speed, full screen gaming. The disk will be useful for us importers though since we can rent some games.

Would it enable prog.scan on a european console? Not sure... For the Gamecube, the game itself must be programmed for 480p.. For the Jap/US Xbox (I think...) any game would run in progressive scan since its done via hardware. A modded Euro Xbox can be enabled to output prog.scan via a boot disk.

Hope that helps ^_^

12. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't remember seeing an optical port on my PS2 - where is it?

What cable do I need to connect from my PS2 Optical Port to my Sony STRDB1070 amp? I'd like to get one today after work without going home to check the connections first.

Many thanks

13. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's on the back - has some sort of dust cover (may be a flap I forget) but its definitely there.

If it weren't for an optical out it wouldn't be DD5.1 or DTS compatible as the logos on the top suggest.

It's just an ordinary optical lead you want - TOSLink - one that looks like the second one down on this page
    http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acatalog/Digital_Interconnects.html

I have all my PS2 sound coming through the optical out.

14. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry but how do you figure that - when you buy an import you have to pay duty - A new game on import will run to about £50. When the game has been out a while the price can drop quite a lot but every site I have seen has imports at around £50 as opposed to the £35-£40 you will (eventually) get the Euro release for.

15. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the cable info, but I can't tell from the picture - it's not the 'coax' type is it? My amp only has one coax type input and my DVD layer is using that. All the other digital inputs are of the 'square' type.

16. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, its the square one you need - that pic wasn't 100% clear but I couldn't be bothered to trawl the whole WWW looking for one!
    You can pick the leads up anywhere as they are commonly used for minidiscs and connecting DVD's, CD's - even Argos has them - its just optical to optical also known as TOSLink. I think you need to go to the system setting to tell it you have dolby digital (some games have cut scenes in this)

17. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - very much appreciated!

:)

18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose I'd better sell my Resident Evil off for £30 since that was the retail price I bought it for... With no tax/customs charge. It purely depends on the place you buy it really. If you buy anything from HK then of course you'll get charged to death. But if you order elsewhere (esp. with free shipping ^_^) then its not so bad. On average my NTSC GC games have cost me £30 new and the most I've paid for a game for my next gen console was £50. Imported from Japan - Final Fantasy X: International.

Remember, HK isn't the only place that you can buy import titles. Check out http://www.tronixweb.com/ as an example of one place.

19. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sites I've been looking at were UK based - videogameimports.com and goblingadgets.co.uk - obviously they add on the duty to their products - I have never been charged duty on orders from amazon - usually I ask the company to declare the product value at $1 so customs don't look at it - always works :)

20. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol nice one 2many ^_^ Do they take longer to deliver if you've valued them at $1 though?

VGI is a decent site since they have rare products but their prices for imports are far too high, which is why I look elsewhere. Lik-sang has some interesting stuff but you do get charged a fair bit. Still there are quite a few sites out there to try out, all thats needed now is more cash...

21. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it from this that, regardless of whether a game is encoded in DD, the digital optical link passes all sound and there's no need to connect the stereo PS2 output as well?

22. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is indeed correct plasmattack, the optical cable will handle all the audio output so you can leave the stereo cables alone. Also many games now are supporting Pro Logic II so if you have an amp that supports it, by all means use the DSP. It will make a difference to any stereo source and to games that use it.