1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2: The Component looks worse than the RGB?!?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by greenlocus, Jun 24, 2005.

1. greenlocus

greenlocus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Was all excited: just got the Samsung 30" slim fit HDTV and hooked up my PS2 via the composite in order to program it to send component, then hooked up the component cables (sony PS2 brand) and the picture quality is way worse (pixelated / jagged).

If you have HDTV, is composite the way to go. I always heard that Component was superior... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:suicide:

2. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I have never heard of anything like this before. Was something unplugged or loose? I have had the same problem with my HDTV and DVD problems and some cables got a little loose.

3. greenlocus

greenlocus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nada_ I checked all the cables to make sure they were good and tight. One thing is that the TV is labeled as HDTV 1080i and I don't think the PS2 is made for that type of resolution... But really, I don't know (at all) what I am talking about when it comes to HDTV resolution, etc.

4. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    same thing happend when i tried my xbox on lcd. I think these screens show bad graphics up somehow which crt's 'mask'?????

I find some games are fine where as others look pants.

roll on next-gen!!!

5. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me like the composite signal is introducing general noise and inperfection into the picture, masking the low resolution and jaggies in the original console image - giving you a picture very much like you expect a console gaming picture to look. The component signal will, however, give you a much better representation of the output from the console, showing the imperfection and making it look worse.

Hopefully, once the XBOX 360 and PS3 are here we'll have a much higher quality signal and component connections will start to look great!

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I have my PS2 hooked up to my PJ via component and the picture is great - much better than RGB or Composite.

7. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No no no your all missing the point! the ps2 looks ugly through component not because of analog signal noise! but because the few ps2 games that support progressive scan will reveal what most people have known all along about the ps2.

That it has has ugly texture mapping i.e. 4mb vid ram is not enough, no pixel shading.. poor anti aliasing on most games, topped off with poor colour bit presicion.. put simplt the ps2 is one ugly graphical mother fudder!

8. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you could always try a good quality DVD and see what the PQ looks like?

9. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I've always been more than happy with RGB with my PS2, especially through the IXOS range of cables.

10. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What games are you playing greenlocus? Because some games support Progressive Scanning (480p, 720p or even 1080i) on the PS2, check here http://hdgames.net/ If the game can support it then you will get a much better picture through Component. The PS2 is by far the worst for graphics compared to the Xbox and Gamecube - most of which games for these consoles support progressive scanning as standard. I was stumpted recently with Burnout 3 Takedown which I finally discovered how to enable progressive scanning (see website above) Also if you have Gran Turismo 4, you can enable 720p or 1080i !!!!!

Hope this helps, Mark.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Just 480p & 1080i on GT4 - no 720p unfortunately.