1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Sound & Vision Question

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Sly Fly, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    This is the setup I will [hopefully] soon have :

TV : Toshiba 36ZP48P - Progressive Scan, Component Input, 100Hz.
    Amp : Denon AVR 1905 with Digital Optical Input.

My questions for any helpful people is basically, what is the best audio and visual setup I could have here?

My guess is that for sound, I should run an optical (Toslink?) cable from PS2 to the Denon Amp. I have read that not many games use 5.1 sound, but, I'm also guessing that the optical cable will revert back to Dolby Pro Logic II if it can't use 5.1... right? :confused:

I'm slightly confused as to the visual side. I'm assuming that the best option is to get the lead which has the funny AV PS2 connector one end, and the five component outputs the other. I know where the three Red, Green and Blue (Y, Pb Pr?) connections go on the TV, but there's another two red and white connections left over. Are they just standard red/white audio cables that I won't need to plug in because I have the audio covered by optical (as mention above)? I need help in that aspect.

If anyone could clear this up I'd be most grateful.

Cheers.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I personally have my PS2 hooked up using RGB scart and an optical conection to my AV. As far as 5.1 or pro-logic II goes, to be honest it does not really matter to me as through my system it sounds superb. As long as your AV input is set to auto it should provide you with surround sound that will beat any TV speakers hands down. I'm far to busy playing the games to worry about which format the sound is in anyway. I keep my component video connections free for my DVD player.

3. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Thanks.

Looks like the sound via optical is the way to go. I think I can change the AV input to anything I like on the optical inputs (DVD / CD / AUX etc...), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Question : Where can I get a good, yet relatively cheap optical cable from? Any particular brand or make I should look out for?

With regard to the visual side, you throw up an interesting point. My current DVD player does not support either Progressive Scan or Component Outputs, which I know I will have to correct if I am to get the best out of the TV. The RGB Scart I understand, but a question to the board :

Question : Will I be able to notice the difference in hooking the PS2 up to the TV via Component / RGB Scart? Is there a "Wow that's amazing" difference, or just a "Maybe a little better...?" difference between the two?

Question 2 : Best place / make to get PS2 > Scart or Component cables?

Thanks again.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Sly Fly,

Q1: I think the difference between the RGB SCART and component is very noticable, or at least it is on my plasma. I have both leads. I use the SCART connection at the moment as I only have two component inputs, and the DVD and Xbox are higher priority for me.

Use component if you can.

Q2: I have this Ixos SCART lead:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XPP01.html

and the official Sony Component lead which I bought from the Playstation site for £17.99 (sorry can't link to that site from work!)

There is also an Ixos component lead, but I don't think it can be any better than the Sony one:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XPP04.html

5. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Cheers dave, appreciate the links.

I was half-guessing the component would be better. Now I have to figure whether regularly swapping the DVD and PS2 component inputs into the TV will get on my t*ts. :)

I have two or three sets of component inputs on my Denon AV Receiver, so maybe I can stick both in there, and then have just the one set of component leads going from the Denon into the TV. God knows how I'd swap between them though.

Many thanks! :beer:

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Unfortunately, if you do use the PS2 a lot, the constant changing will get very annoying - that is why I am back on SCART!

Your Denon amp has input switching, but it will convert the signal to S-Video or Composite, both of which will be inferior to RGB SCART for the PS2 and disastarous for your DVD player.

Currently, it is only the very high end amps (Denon 2805 and above iirc) that offer true component switching.

In your situation, I would suggest going for the RGB SCART lead. You will lose some quality, but it will still look good, and will save a lot of hassle.

7. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Hrm. Looks like my TV connections are going fast eh? :)

Component = DVD
    RGB Scart 1 = Telewest
    RGB Scart 2 = PS2
    Scart 3 = Video (or perhaps S-Video at the front).

Can anyone recommend me a good and relatively inexpensive optical cable?

Cheers again btw dave.

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
  9. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Cheers Dave. May well go for Profigold, as I use them for most of my other interconnects.

Last thing for you (or anyone) is the component question. Five cables. Red Green Blue for visual, right? and the remaining red and white are for stereo sound? (which I will not need if using optical). Is that correct?

Thanks in advance, and I suppose I better get back to work now. :D

10. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    That is right, no need to connect the red and white sound leads as you are using optical.

11. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Cool.

Checked the back of the PS2 last night to see it was a 30004 model, so it can't take component anyway. :suicide: (I read that only the 500XX upwards models can handle component).

So... uh... when is the PSX out? :D

12. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    I found S-Video to be much better than SCART. I had been using an upgraded SCART with the PS2 on my old 25" Sony and the picture was great, but after upgrading to a 32" Widescreen (another Sony) I found that the lap times of GT3 weren't readable - swapping to S-Video made everything pin sharp again. :thumbsup: