1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2: RGB vs. Component cable

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by kebabek, Jun 22, 2005.

1. kebabek

kebabek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Would you recommend a good RGB cable or a component one. I was going to buy component, but our local dealer said, he has great RGB cable which gives better results than component. Is that possible??

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    A good RGB scart can produce a better picture than a component one, if the component cable is the one sold in GAME or the Gamester one thats available. but a good component cable is the way to go, in particular the offical sony one.

3. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ive got a 26" LCD and the difference between Scart and Component was staggering.

Scart doesnt compare with Component in my experience. I bought a PS2 component cable off ebay for £6 I think it was and the difference was like night and day.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Yes but was it RGB scart or composite scart that you were looking at.

The lead which comes with the ps2 is a composite lead that has a scart adapter. (or it was when I got mine a few years ago) :D
    I bought an RGB scart lead which is switchable to allow movie watching with out the green screen effect (although all this does is set the scart back to composite avoiding the rgb green screen effect altogether).
    I have found that a good RGb scart for the ps2 gives great results.
    However, some ps2 games can be played in progressive scan and the only way to do this is with a component lead.

5. kebabek

kebabek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so the best thing is original sony component cable.

I started thinking about component cable because of progressive scan but then I read on this forum, that ps2 doenst actually support prog. scan so I was not sure what to buy.

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272

Well I know that Teken 4 and soul caliber 2 both have the option for progresive scan. Not sure what other games offer it but I am pretty sure there are more.
    If you use a componenet cable make sure you switch the PS2 from RGB to this mode. It will be listed as y/pr/b or something very simular in the user options of the PS2 menu.

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    These are the games that I now know that have progresive scan

Gran Turismo 4
    , Tekken 4,
    SOCOM US Navy Seals
    , SOCOM II
    , Jak II,
    Burnout 2,
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter,
    Jak III,
    and many others. Remember that progressive-scan must be put in by the programmers, so not all games have it. Many game companies feel that not enough people own HDTV's, so don't bother with progressive-scan.

8. kebabek

kebabek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Destroy all humans" is also made for prog. scan.

What about DVDs??

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Not sure about DVDs. The progresive scan feature has to be programed in on the games and then you switch it on once the game has loaded. I dont think there is any option on the playstation 2 to activate a progressive scan feature for DVDs.

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I found significant improvement when I upgraded from an RGB SCART cable to a component cable. As a bonus you don't get the DVD green screen effect either. :thumbsup: Made me wish I had changed much earlier than when I did. Don't get me wrong, RGB SCART is good but I found that component gave that bit extra quality to the picture.

S.

11. kebabek

kebabek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great I am getting component cable TODAY! :D

Thanks for everybodys help!

12. kebabek

kebabek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought component cable (original Sony) and the picture is better than RGB. Progressive scan is available both with games and DVDs. DVDs in prog. scan mode look great, but games are not as good. The text in games is not sharp and there some other defects during game play.

I would recommend progressive scan for DVDs and normal mode for games (use prog. scan fro games only if you sit near TV screen and horizontal lines really bother you).

13. PowerDude

PowerDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a general rule RGB > Component.
    RGB is the purest signal that can come from any video equipement.
    It is the signal used in all Arcade Cabinets.

However, I live in the US and my WEGA doesn't support RGB so I am forced to use component. I use the Monster Gamelink Component cable which offers superior image quality over ANY other component cable. It's the closest thing I can get to SCART and it looks absolutely stunning.

It doesn't look stunning because of the cable alone.
    33% of your image quality comes from the type of connection.
    67% of your image quality comes from proper TV calibration

Purchase a Digital Video Essentials DVD and go through your TV setting up everything as perfect as you can. Sony WEGA's allow you to make adjustments via the user menu and the service menu.

Turn OFF Velocity Scan Modulation
    Turn OFF any type of Image Sharpening
    Correct your Geometry
    Correct your Black Levels
    Correct your Saturation Levels
    Set your brightness properly
    Set your colors as best you can with a Blue filter

All of the above will give your PS2 image quality that meets the other current generation consoles. And yes there are tons of games on PS2 that support progressive scan, GT4 even supports 1080i... ;)

14. marc.williams

marc.williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, let me clear up the debate.

Component (YUV) is exactly the same information as RGB. Hold on a minute before flaming me!

Progressive Scan will run across a component input and this is de-interfaced and upto 4 times the resolution (change your pc monitor between 640x480 and 1024x768 to see a similar difference).

The old PS2 DOES NOT support Progressive Scan - neither does PAL X-boxes or PAL Gamecubes Progressive Scan is an NTSC standard and not PAL. The last fat PS2s and the slim ones do support Progressive Scan but only a few of the games, Tekken 4 (not 5) for example.

If using in component signal (YUV) watch out for 50-60Hz issues when converting back as many titles only support 50Hz mode and this can lead to removal of the bottom 50 lines of the screen. This is true for X-box but less common

To settle the arguement stick with a good RGB cable on a good 4:3 (!) TV as this will give THE best colour and clearest picture. Hope this answers your question, Marc.

15. darkhelmet

darkhelmet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starting from which version of the PS2 does it support Progressive scan/HDTV?

16. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    I'm confused.

I'm using the Official Sony S-Video leads - are these the component leads you're talking about?

incidentally I have the PS2 set for RGB output.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    Unfortunately Marc that is not actually correct.

Component provides the best signal because it enables progressive scan and higher resolutions to be a possibility. In an RBG feed the luminance is sent 3 times (once with each R, G, B colour), in the component lead it is only sent the once therefore saving bandwisth for other information (such as higher resolutions or sending the whole image at once...i.e. progressive scan).

All PS2's can output progressive scan when connected via component and whether they do or not depends on the game. For example my old PS2 outputs 480p (as well as 1080i) on GT4. As quite a few PS2 games (you usually have to buy the NTSC versions) output in 480p then component is the best connection to go for if you want the best picture. For a list of 480p PS2 games see here :smashin: .

Nope this is an S-Video lead (i.e. just one circular din plug that connects to your TV). Component leads are 3 separate video leads (blue, red & green jacks) and often 2 audio leads (red & white jacks), see here.

If your PS2 isn't modded to run NTSC games then there isn't much point using component as most PAL games do not support prog scan.

I hope that helps!

18. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Cheers mate - my PS2 is unmolested so the S-Video will do me fine - not sure my TV accepts component anyway!

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    RGB scart will give a better picture than S-Video, if component is out of the question. :smashin:

20. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Will have to disagree with that one.

On my old 25" Sony I used the Official RGB SCART and I was really happy with the picture but then upgraded the TV to a 32" Widescreen WEGA and got a lot of pixelation - GT3 was especially bad as none of the lap times that appear in the top right of the screen were readable. Borrowed the S-Video lead off a mate and the screen quality is superb - I'd even go so far as saying that it looks better than the XBox does through RGB SCART.

All IMHO of course... :)

21. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I've used most various flavours of cable and CAS FAN is right. In terms of pic quality, there is a significant visible difference...

Component > RGB SCART > S-Video > Composite > RF Aerial.

The only type I haven't used is VGA monitor output.

Using RGB SCART on my plasma TV can exhibit colour banding whereas you get smooth colour graduations when using Component. The other advantage of Component is that watching DVD's does not produce the dreaded green screen that RGB SCART does. S-Video can produce pretty bad colour seeping especially on bright reds and the picture has a washed out feel to it. Obviously Composite and RF aerial are utter pants with respect to PQ.

S.

22. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVD discs are masterd in component. No mater what signal is feed to your TV it is converted to RGB.

As a connection Component offers less degredation of the signal and even has the bandwidth for 720p or 1080i signals.

With HDMI you can choose RGB or YUV as the signal type, by doing this you alter which one perfomrs the component to RGB conversion and see which one is better. Not worth trying with SCART against Component.

23. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    It is my understanding that RGB SCART does give a better picture than the S-Video leads but it doesn't seem to be true in my case... like I said, SCART gies me bad pixelation that I don't get with S-Video.

Could it be a setting on the TV? It's a Sony KV32FQ75 if it helps. (one of the 100hz DRC models)

24. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,714
    Sorry to go slightly off, but if using a PAL Gamecube with a projector (buying one very soon :D ) Would the official component cable give superior picture to the official RGB scart, or would it only benefit NTSC Gamecubes?

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    Component would be best :smashin: as you can run NTSC games on a PAL GC in prog scan (as long as you have freeloader that is ;) ).

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    I have a Sony KV32FX68, which is a 100hz set. I have a pretty cheap (about a fiver) RGB Scart for my PS2 and it gives a great picture on my TV. I use a component lead for connection to my PJ. I unfortunately don't have an S-Video lead so can't compare that. I do have an S-Video lead and RGB Scart for connection of a DVD player to my TV and whilst the S-Video lead is OK, the Scart lead gives a better picture.

27. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Can't agree with that. I have an unmodded ps2 using a ixos component lead and it is definately worth it. General picture is best i can get and when the prog scan option is available in games (which alot of new ones do) it gets even better.

Paul_T, are you sure that the pixelation isn't just a better cable displaying a more *honest* picture?

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    No that's fine, we agree 100%. Personally I find the general picture better via component (although a good RGB scart lead should in theory provide a very similar picture). The main benefit of component is the reduced bandwidth that it uses (allowing Progressive scan and higher resolution info to be transmitted) and if moden PAL games (can't say I buy PS2 games these days - just X-Box) are Prog Scan then it's a no brainer (as long as your TV accepts component - which sadly it seems Paul's does not anyway).

The order of quality is as Steve_P mentioned... :smashin:

29. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    throw my 2p in here. i had a RGB cable a really really cheap one and it provided a decent picture. then i upgraded to component when i bought my Projector, and the pic is fantastic but no where near as good as my xbox. i then got a better RGB cable for the tv and it was a 100% better than the one i had before. component does have the edge for me on this on im afraid but RGB is no slouch

30. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +765
    TV does not have component inputs unfotunately. :thumbsdow

I'll see about taking some pics over the weekend to highlight the pixelation.

Not sure what the "more honest picture" is supposed to mean. :confused: Both cables are the official Sony leads - so not sure why a dishonest picture should be better. Anyway I'll take some piccy's with my digi camera and post them up - hopefully they'll answer a few questions.