1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 - RGB or S-Video

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by richjthorpe, Mar 16, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I know that RGB and S-Video are on a par with each other regarding Picture Quality but how does a PS2 handle S-Video compared to RGB Scart ?

Cheers,

Richie.

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Haven't tried s-video, but i changed from rgbscart to component last night and the improvement was quite dramatic, it also handled 16:9 much better than scart.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    RGB Scart is always generally better than S-Video and this is the case with the PS2. The PS2's RGB output is great so if you don't have the option of a Component connection then this is the one to go for. :thumbsup:

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Interesting. Reason for asking is because I have an AV amp that only takes s-video and wondered if it was worth going through s-video to take advantage of the video switching. I think I'll pass it though the Freeview Scart instead.

Is there anywhere to get cheap PS2 RGB cables from ?

Thanks,

Richie.

5. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. vgopal

vgopal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im having trouble with my ps2 outputting via component cable,
    im not using the official cable, which cable you guys using,

ive tried changing the settings in the menu to component rgb and y cb pr etc, but when ever i try with component i get no signal.

if i go in a game, say tekken 5, goto progressive scan and enable it then plug in the component cable it works but the colours are all wrong , i assume Y is the sync, and red and blue is the only colours im getting on screen,

am i doing something wrong or is my cable duff?

which cables are you using, im thinking of buying ixos ps2 component cables.

btw tv is 32pf9976

7. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I bought mine off ebay for £9 and its great. My ps2 is outputting on y cb pr and I have no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8175785345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

It sounds like the input / output (console and tv) are set to rgb somewhere. Also check that the right colour cable is in the right input - I did that and got a bizarre screen!!!

8. vgopal

vgopal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what a coincidence!

i have exactly the same cable! problem is now i have tried it on a projector with component input and i get exactly the same problem, so i figure its not the equipment, it has to be my cable or ps2 settings wrong, going to try another ps2 tomorrow and see what happens.

9. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Do you have the ps2 set to "component y cb pr"?

Do you have your projector set to accept the same? Perhaps you have to fiddle with the progressive/interlaced setting on the PJ.

Other than that I'm stumped mate!!!

10. vgopal

vgopal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep fiddled with all the settings, both on ps2, tried as rgb and y cb pr, changed settings on projector and tv, nothing works, i can get a close image by reducing my hue totally but obviously that isnt right , the only colours i am getting on the screen are red and blue.

11. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I reckon your cable mustb be dodgy. It seems like part of the signal is just not getting there. Try another (if poss) then send knackered one back if thats the case, otherwise its a total mystery!!!

12. vgopal

vgopal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still having weird problems with component output, i bought another component cable, this time the image is clearer but still the same problem, ive checked it properly and its not showing white colours, they all come as pink.

weird as i have tried 2 ps2s, 2 different cables, different games, even projector and tv have the same problem,

is the menu of the ps2 supposed to show via component?
    if i plug the ps2 via component and start it i get no signal, i have to go into the game with svideo then select progressive and switch cables. surely this isnt right?

im stumped.