PS2 Q's, quick reply needed. :-)

Pulsar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have spent the last 3 hours searching this forum and the internet for the answers to the following questions. I am about to buy a PS2 and would like to know the answers to the following please.

If I buy a UK PS2, and output to my pc, use Dscalar then output to my projector, will the image be true progressive scan?

My projector is a Sony HS10, and my PC connected via DVI. I have a capture card with s-video inputs.

I have the opportunity to buy one of the following PS2's.

A second hand one from a shop with 1 months warranty for £120, or a pre-modded PS2 with a messiah 2 chip fitted with 12 months warranty for £195.

What are the benefits of the chipped machine other than playing games from the US/Japan?

Which would you go for?

Cheers

Rob

I will answer my own question, I got the second hand PS2. For now I have just hooked it up directly to my projector through s-video, the picture looks OK but I want to get rid of those jaggies.

As mentioned earlier, I have a PC with s-video in, connected to my projector through DVI, and Dscalar. What settings should I use on Dscalar to get the best picture, hopefuly progressive if possible.

All help is appreciated.

Rob

You have a SONY HS10?!?! Damn you! lol I want one of those babys... Anyway, using Dscalar will not produce a true prog.scan image in the strict sense. Something like iScan will take any video signal and de-interlace it on the fly and I assume Dscalar does the same. Some games do support prog.scan natively like Tekken 4 but support has only just began.

I would personally use a component connector from the PS2 and use it directly to the projector... If your PC can accept component/VGA connections then use that so you don't loose any quality. Doesn't the Sony HS10 have an internal de-interlacer anyway?

As for the console... I would go for the Messiah 2 chipped one then you can buy videogames from the US and Japan a lot sooner and cheaper than over here. Plus there will be no slower gameplay and it'll all run in full screen. Other benifits of a chipped PS2 is the ability to run unsigned code... So you could run emulators, programs etc from your PS2.

Originally posted by NeoBlade
Other benifits of a chipped PS2 is the ability to run unsigned code... So you could run emulators, programs etc from your PS2.

Are there any emu's avaliable for the PS2?

I have a DivX disk (on my chipped PS2) which lets me watch DivX movies on it. Not a emu as such, but worth it as it is only the price of a disk. Likewise, the quailty is not cystral clear (this will also depend on the DivX movie quailty) but its not bad. I have LOTR on DivX and its very good quailty.

Jay

I use Dscaler for both a PS2 and Xbox to my ae100 and on the whole it works well especially with the newer capture cards (xcapture flyvideo more on HTPC forum).

The advantage to me is that I've got a nice straight forward input path for the consoles and my gondigital box. Flick a switch and they all go to the TV as RGB : flick it back and they all go through an RGB to svideo convertor and then onto the HTPC.

Dscaler is pretty impressive for deinterlace quality and you get one or two added benefits over a stand alone box: decent adaptive noise reduction /deinterlacing , sharpening , user definable parameters, good calibration ability.

Mr.D,

Thanks for the reply, At the moment I am bypassing my HTPC and using s-video straight to the HS10. The picture is acceptable, but could be better. One of the things I find with Dscalar is that it reduces the picture size, when compared to my desktop. I have looked at all of the settings, and can't find one to change this.

What would be the best input path to the HTPC? Is it direct s-video, or RGB, converted to s-video?

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Deoedns on how good the deinterlacer and scaler are inside the HS10: also how clean the input signal path is.

The smaller picture size with the HTPC is symptomatic of its resolution not being set to that of the panel inside the HS10: 1:1 pixel mapping the beauty of HTPC. Or its down to dscaler having less overscan compared with the HS10 and the PS2 picture normally being slightly padded. Dscaler can easily modify the picture using the variable overscan setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom