Ps2 prog scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bash, Oct 5, 2003.

1. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Anyone tried out the new model Ps2's for prog scan yet?

whats the quality of it like and does it do PAL/NTSC prog scan? Just wondering as I may upgrade for this to use as a dedicated dvd player on my Tosh 36zd26.

Thanx in advance

2. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I strongly suggest you look elsewhere for a DVD player on your wonderful TV, it deserves a lot better than a PS2. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS2, but that's because it allows me to play Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2. The PS2 produces a terrible DVD picture, even over RGB. It looks like there's som sort of grid superimposed over the entire screen.

There are plenty of decent and affordable (PAL) progressive DVD players out there, like the Philips 963SA, Marantz DV4300 and HK DV25/30. All of these can be had for less than 300 pounds.

3. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Thanx for the advice, but with all due respect the Ixos component cables bring out a far superior picture than with S-video/composite cables. Im assuming the new prog scan models will be even better on my TV.

Just want some feedback as no-one seems to have utilised this new feature yet. . .

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    bash,

From HCC news 12th september

And here's the rather depressing response from Matthew Fowler, a Consumer Services Assistant at Sony Computer Entertainment UK:

"The new model of the PS2 will have progressive scan for DVD's on the NTSC versions only. Nor will there be any component video outputs on the console itself. However, there is a Component AV cable (compatible with all models of the PlayStation 2) which gives you component video output."

Other revisions for the new PS2 (SCPH-50000)
    - Better DVD playback quality.
    - Support for DVD-R and -RW disks recorded in video mode and DVD-RW disks recorded in VR mode.
    - Including surround sound decoding.
    - Reduction in the PS2’s fan noise of a claimed 75 per cent.
    - Built in IR-receiver port.
    - New remote control accessorise (SCPH-10420) which now includes open/close & stand by.
    - Black £139.99 (already seen many bundles for £139.99!) Also comes in silver for £149.99 (includes 2 silver joypads).

I'm sure that you are aware that your Tosh only handles NTSC prog scan?

Multi-reg NTSC players up to £210 (loads of opinions on the majority of them, you will find both positives and negatives) if you decides to go that way.

- Panasonic DVD-S75 includes ntsc prog scan, dvd-audio, mp3, jpegs, windows media audio £115 (techtronics.com), £122 (cramptonandmoore.co.uk), £135 (multizonedvd.com)
    - Toshiba SD-520e includes ntsc prog scan, dvd-audio, mp3, £180 (richer sounds) now replaced with 530e which now includes Pal prog scan & jpeg's £210 (leconcepts.com)
    - Sony DVP-NS730 includes ntsc/pal prog scan, mp3 £136 (techtronics.com), £137 (dvdplayers.co.uk)
    - Pioneer DV-565i includes ntsc prog scan, dvd-audio/sacd, mp3, jpeg's, windows media audio £200 (techtronics.com), £210 (leconcepts.com), £220 (multizonedvd.com)
    - Yamaha DVD-S540 includes ntsc/pal prog scan, jpeg's, mp3 £110 (richersounds.com - but you can claim this price instore as well)
    - JVC XV-NA77 ntsc/pal prog scan, mp3, jpeg's £165 (digitaldirectuk.com), £180 (multizonedvd.com)

sr78, where did you find 963 & HK 25/30 multi-reg for less than £300?

Wasabi

5. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have it hooked up over SCART RGB, wouldn't think of what it looks like over S-video or composite...

The DV25 sells in Holland for €400, possibly less.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    ah yes, I remember now the Dutch prices.
    Thanks for the reminder.

wasabi

7. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SR38 - I used to have exactly the same problem as you. I bet you that you're using a non-Sony SCART lead. Get a Sony one. It's pricey, but it's incredibly well shielded and the picture is far, far superior. No more mesh-like interference. I had exactly the same issue until I borrowed my mate's Sony SCART lead.

That said, I agree with you that PS2's DVD playback is poor compared to a standalone player. Even with a decent SCART cable, it's nowhere near as good as a quality standalone player.

8. elaysian

elaysian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PS2 only outputs RGB for games!!!

Even if you connect it to an RGB scart input on your TV the best you are gonna get is composite over scart for DVD playback and this is why the picture quality is lame compared to a standalone player.

They disabled RGB output for DVD playback because of DVD copying issues at the time. Dunno if they have enabled it on the new version to backup the 'better picture quality' claims.

Jon

9. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    You still get 'green screen' on DVD playback on the new ones apparently.

Yes RGB is nice on games, but a good PS2 component cable like the monster or Ixos ones are far better.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Umm, just load up a copy of DVD Region X.

Not only does your PS2 magically become multi region, but it also removes the stupid green tint on RGB when playing a DVD. Voila, DVD playback via RGB.

Having said that I prefer my dedicated player (especially without the remote for the PS2, like I need another :rolleyes: ).

11. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This guy seems like a lost cause. He seems adamant to use a PS2 as a dedicated DVD player so I suggest we all tell him what he wants to hear.

"PS2 as a DVD player is amazing, go buy one now!!!!"

That said, imo, the PS2 sucks as a DVD player, regardless of what cable you use.

Oh, and as for DVD Region X, why bother with the hassle every time you want to watch a film?

12. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well like I said, personally I prefer my dedicated player, but the point was that you can get a higher quality signal out of a PS2 for DVD viewing purposes than composite.

At the end of the day, the option is there. Whether or not somebody uses it, is entirely up to them.

13. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used RegionX for about three months. Then I got bored with the disc swapping and terrible picture quality and bought a 'real' DVD player.

14. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Did you bother to read the title thread?

Im asking for feedback using a 'decent component cable' with the new PS2 outputting prog scan movies PAL or NTSC not the older models.

Please, if you cant be bothered to post with relavence to the my topic I'd rather you didnt bother thanx :D

15. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Having progressive scan on the PS2 doesn't make it any better of a player, it's still pretty poor. And as someone already said, only NTSC machines will have progressive scan, so I doubt you'll get PAL prog.

16. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I thought my early ps2 was reasonable for dvd playback until I connected it to my projector via a component cable. Oh dear.

17. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair, the newer drivers on the PS2 DVD playback have massively improved performance compared to the early PS2s. But even compared to a budget DVD player, it still sucks.

With regard to the new machines, Sony has made no announcement about PAL progressive scan support and considering their lacklustre support for the European market, I would be extremely surprised if they bother to include it.