1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2-Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daveb975, Jan 25, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Could anyone recommend the best input to use for connected my PS2 to my Panny 6?

I am currently using the SCART input, but I don't think the PS2 outputs RGB, so I am probably getting composite and it is not very good.

I have the option of SCART or S-Video inputs ( I would rather not use component as I need to save this for DVD)

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm pretty sure it does output RGB but it also outputs component which I understand may be better.

It may be that you are not using the right lead to send RGB. You may wish to check this first.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    PS2 definitely outputs both RGB and component.

You'll need to check a few things:

1) The PS2 cable you are using is RGB. The standard cable in the box is composite. An RGB one is about £10 from Game etc

2) The PS2 is set to output RGB from SCART. This is the standard output, so you shouldnt' need to change it.

3) The SCART input on your plasma is set to receive RGB. Don't know about your set, but you might have to set something in a menu, or cycle through several inputs for the same socket.

PS2 doesn't have a great output, so use the best option you can. RGB should be fine, as there isn't a lot of progressive scan stuff on PS2.

4. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your best bet is to get ahold of a proper VGA adapter for the PS2 (they come with a linux kit, but it might be possible to get one elsewhere - it's a very cheap cable). Then hook that into the VGA input on the panny and set your PS2 to output *component* video (not RGB!). If you do this, you can use games which support progressive, and those that don't, without having to change any settings or cables, and you'll get a top-notch picture from it.

The alternative is one of the unofficial VGA solutions, which will gave varying quality of output - but do actually let you play more titles in progressive scan. Not sure how well they do pass-through, but if they allow that without messing up the signal you can have the best of both worlds.

I'd suspect that SCART or S-Video will give much the same (slightly muddy) picture as each other on the panny-6, the SCART RGB in seems a bit crippled. You also won't get progressive scan working, which would be a shame given the increasing number of titles that support it...

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    S-video is actually pretty good! The Game rgb adapter is terrible, component is the best.

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What's wrong with the official PS2 component video cable? I've been using it for nearly a year and it's great. It cost me about £15 from the Playstation website.

7. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nothing wrong with it at all - but the original poster wanted to avoid the component connector so an alternative would be to use the VGA. Just depends what connectors are free...

8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Thanks for the replies.

I currently have the VGA and S-Video connectors free on the screen - so would prefer to use one of these.

I will try and hunt down the VGA lead and see what it looks like as it would be good to use prog scan on PS2 if this is available.

9. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-video is not bad, but if you want the maximum you have to try component leads and try SoulCalibur2 via progressive scan.
    I've seen it's the best PQ I've ever seen on my plasma.

Unfortunately I've got some nasty noise on my component lead if I dont use progressiive scan mode. (IE with PES3 I've seen some nasty artifacts above the picth when the camera is panning... Not sure really what it is...)

But be aware that cheap component cable can be quite messy, in fact, if Im not using progressive scan, I prefer playing with an S-Video outout. Must be just the cable anyway, so buy a decent cable.

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Ooh, ooh!. Me want.
    Where can I get this VGA converter?
    That would eliminate the problem with the shared AV3 input on the Pio media receiver then...

Edit: Found this: http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=345
    Looks like the product that's being talked about but can anyone confirm if it will work with a Pio 504 and is the quality as good as component?

11. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PS2 is actually a bit funny with RGB

Assuming you have the RGB scart cable RGB for games is excellent. However Sony decided to only transmit the green part of the signal for DVD playback. It was meant to stop people copying DVD's to video tapes I think. Or maybe they just thought it was funny.

Anyway, RGB scart isn't a good way to go if you ever think you might use the PS2 as a DVD player, unless you like green.

Nick

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oddly enough, the green signal doesn't apply in component! It gives really nice DVD playback via component out, yet with RGB Scart you get the nasty green screen.:laugh:

13. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Brogan,

Checking around, there are quite a number of these converters available, most with very mixed reviews!

The Blaze one (around £25) seems well rated, but only has a resolution of 640x400 (not 480). I am not sure what this means for a plasma!?

I think I will use S-Video for now, and upgrade to VGA as soon as I have found a decent converter.

Let me know if you find a good one!

14. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The "green" signal *is* component. The PS2 forces component mode when playing DVDs. If you use compenent mode all the time (or don't play DVDs) you won't be affected and all will be well.

If you have a modded machine with the "RGB" fix (like many modchip installs do) you'll probably find you can't do component output any more.

I'd avoid the 3rd party VGA converters as they tend to be dodgy scan-converters that introduce all manner of weird artefacts and may not work at all for component signals or pass-thru for progressive supporting games.

IIRC the blaze adapter does things by patching software (if necessary) to output real VGA and the hardware is there to convert the composite sync from the PS2 into a rather more compatible H/V sync.

I don't know what it would do for games which can't be patched or output native progressive signals, nor what it would do with a component signal.

All you really need, is very simple cable - in fact, the simplest option might be a scart or component -> D15 converter (I assume these must exist somewhere) and a matching PS2 cable...

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  16. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Heh - I was about to post the very same link. That's exactly what you want. Sadly it's unavailable right now...

Easy to knock one up if it wasn't for the lack of PlayStation connectors.

I'm not convinced that's an official product, because the PS2 doesn't really connect to many monitors and not many titles support progressive scan.

A similar (but cheaper) cable comes with the linux kit and that carries all manner of restrictions and problems. However it *will* work when connected to a panny plasma and the PS2 is in component mode. Doesn't seem to be available seperately though.

17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe play-asia or someone like that would have one in stock.

18. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful also if you want to connect your PS2 to a monitor via VGA cable/adaptor you'll need to have a monitor supporting "sync on green".
    No problems on plasmas btw, AFAIK

19. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The PS2 won't supply sync on green in non-progressive mode - that only applies in VGA resolutions.

Thats why I suggest running it in component video mode.