1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 outputs pcm not prologic II in game

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Turb007, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Hi

I bought a PS2 ( the new slimline one) Friday and have it hooked up to my marantz sr5400 via optical.

When i choose prologic II in game my amp detects it as pcm stereo. i was under the impression the PS2 would output DD or something else. (my amp manual says it will detect PL II as DD 2 channel)

it seems i'm getting pcm and the amps doing all the decoding as if i choose stereo in game and use the amp to decode to progic it sounds exactly the same.

any idea's ?

TIA

Turb007

oh by the way any comments like "should have got a xbox" are not need cos i have :)

2. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've only tried Soul Caliber using the optical out on my ps2 (old style) and that was DPL. It said so on the back of the game as well.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    have exactly the same thing with GTA san andreas,select pl2 and the amp doesnt even see it.

4. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    well this is what is dolby have to sy on there website.....

Sony’s PlayStation® 2 is capable of several different kinds of audio formats. The two most commonly found are Dolby® Digital (5.1-channel) and PCM (two-channel). Dolby Digital is used during cut scenes on some games, such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and The Bouncer. In most games, however, the PlayStation 2 outputs PCM audio, which is an older stereo audio format used on compact discs. Because it requires a tremendous amount of processing power to create Dolby Digital during game play, the vast majority of PS2 games still use stereo. However, a new technology, Dolby Pro Logic® II, allows five-channel sound to be transmitted using two-channel stereo. Pro Logic II is based on Dolby Surround, which was only capable of transmitting four channels. Now, Pro Logic II enables your PS2 to use all 5.1 channels in your system

I read this as its pro logic but only because of the amp and it dos'nt matter if you select stero or pro logic in game as the amp will convert it what ever.

if you look at this through the glass is half full window then all games in stereo will be pro logic :D

if you look through the glass is half empty window then they are selling a new feature of the game and doing nothing for it. :(

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i read it as sony cant be arsed and will happily let your amp do it all lol.to be honest if its not 5.1 then you might aswell stick to pro logic and get the game out quicker as the amount of people who own a pl2 amp opposed to those just using a tv is very low.

7. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The amp is the decoder not the PS2, it encodes stereo and pro-logic 2 is created by the infomation from the 2 channels, it is not discrete and is just pro-logic2 optimised stereo, if the ps2 did the decoding there would be 5.1 analogue outputs.

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    fair enough but why have the pro logic 2 option in the game ?

as i said before the sound is no different if i choose stereo or pro logic 2 ...the amp decodes it to pro logic 2 and the end result is the same.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    The only difference i've noticed in selecting PL2 over stereo in GTA:SA is every now and then an 'effect' can be heard in one of the rear speakers, this is especially auidable when purchasing something from Ammunation, but other that trivial things like that i haven't heard any difference. But i usually have my amp set to DTS:Neo6 anyway

10. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Emailed Dolby this is their reply

During game play, the audio coming out of your PS2 console is always PCM stereo. If the game's box has a Dolby Digital Pro Logic II logo on it, the stereo PCM has been encoded in Pro Logic II specifically for five-channel Pro Logic II surround playback. So switch your playback system to PLII to take full advantage of the surround encoding. Note that your playback system cannot automatically detect when the PCM soundtrack has been encoded in surround, so you have to switch to PLII manually.

You may also find the PLII surround decoding effective on regular stereo games, just as it is on music CDs and other standard stereo sources.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is a separate story. Only the cut-scenes (i.e. no active game play) on some PS2 games have discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Interactive Dolby Digital 5.1 audio requires an additional technology which we now call Dolby Digital Live (we used to call it the Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder, quite a mouthful). This real-time Dolby Digital encoder, necessary as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding for interactive Dolby Digital 5.1 audio during game play, is available only in the Xbox console and software for PCs.

hope this helps