PS2 or XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by driscolp, Apr 11, 2002.

1. driscolp

driscolp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having owned a PSX for some years now I thought it was time to upgrade. I am thinking of either an XBOX or the PS2.

What do people think ?

I can see the benifits of the PS2 as I will still be able to play my existing games on it but is it worth choosing this over the XBOX purely because of that ?

If I do get the PS2 how many of the peripherals from the PSX (memory cards, joypads, etc) are compatible with it ?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I've got both.
    Personally I like my PS2 ( GTA3 is great and I liked Balder's Gate and Ace Combat 4)

However I bought an Xbox purely on the basis of Halo and I have to say it is the best experience I have ever had involving an inanimate object. I can honestly say if they never make another game for the Xbox I'll be happy knowing I've got one just for Halo.

I know that the Xbox still has a bit of a question mark hanging over its success but if someone told me I had to chuck out one of my consoles it would be the PS2 not the Xbox. I know I'll be playing Halo for years.

I know this doesn't make much sense but you'll probably find a lot of people with Halo agree with me.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    What about the Gamecube?:confused:

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    The mass market is unaware of the Gamecube unfortunately.

RDB :(

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree completely with Mr D (about Halo that, is not the PS2). Can't stop playing Halo. Wasn't like that at first though, I was really enjoying Rallisport,Amped and JSRF in particular but once Halo clicked that was it. Finished in Normal mode Sunday and tried to get back into Oddworld but just felt like throwing grenades at everything so started Halo again instead. I have the 3 nextgen consoles and would happily ditch my PS2 to be honest. Gamecube at the moment I could also easily live with out but once Mario and Zelda make an appearance that will change. So personally I would say Xbox and later you might as well pick up a Game Cube (it's dirt cheap anyway). With those 2 you should have the vast majority of AAA software. Sony have the least exclusive titles that interest me and most multi platform titles will be better on the other two. The biggest question you need to ask yourself is which console has the most exclusive titles that whet your appetite as most half way decent games seem to be coming on all three

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have all 3 as well and the PS2 hasn't been switched on for ages... oh! apart from when Emma dusted it and switched it on by mistake!:D

Taz.:cool:

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Well I've got a PS2, few goods games available, but maybe not as many as there should be.

When it came to Microsoft and Nintendo I knew I'd always be in the Nintendo corner whatever....that was until I was walking past Curry's a couple of weeks ago and they had this FPS shooter demoing on the Xbox.

Yep you guessed it, I've been enjoying Halo (and Oddworld) for two weeks non-stop and I mean really enjoying!

Haven't touched PS2. I think you can guess which I'd go for!

Still want a Gamecube though!

8. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220

**cough** :p

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Finished Normal the other week . Then I went on to legendary and gave up after the second level! ( I was getting post traumatic stress syndrome so horrifically tough it was : I had nightmares of being backed into a corner with impotent weaponry as unstoppable covenant hordes came screaming for my blood ... I hasten to add I'm happily married with two children). Strangely the "other bunch" didn't seem any tougher than they were on normal. ( I did the maw on legendary as an experiment and it was actually not much more difficult than on normal)

Having great fun now on heroic and wish I'd played it initially at this level : and taken more notice of the seemingly mundane but now indispensible basic pistol .

When's Halo 2 out !!!!???
    or Half-Life 2 for that matter.

10. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a PS2, and, not being rich :)( ), can only afford one console, so I sold the PS2 and brought an xbox and have never looked back. HOWEVER, the game that has gripped me the most on the x box is Tony Hawkes Pro Skater 3, which, apparently is better on the PS2. How? I don't know. The craving to achieve high scores has never been so high and sleep is being lost.

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Incredibly tough choice.
    I've never been able to decide on just one since the SNES days.

All the following games are great
    You just have to decide which tempt you the most

This may be over simplistic but I would just choose the best game from each and decide between them. Ie for me it would be
    GT3 vs Halo = Halo = Xbox

for others it might be
    Metal Gear Solid vs Halo = mgs = ps2

There's so little to choose between them that this is how I'd do it.
    I chose all 3 but I'm still waiting for the xbox price drop.

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    i wish i had the option of selling my ps2but the xbox doesnt have pro evolution soccer.so looks like me an mr visa might have to have a spending spree lol.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree about Halo. In my opinion it's the best game I have ever played on a console. The only downside is all other games seem to be a bit lacking in the quality department after Halo. Pretty much every aspect of the game feels 'just right'.

The only game to come close was Half Life on the PC. I also have a PS2 and I just can't see it being capable of running a game like Halo, which makes me hope that the second generation of Xbox games are going to be ever better, as seems to be the trend with most consoles.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved the ps2...especially Grand Theft Auto and Baldurs Gate...but after buying the X Box...well there is no comparison. The ps2 is never going to compete....it has been out a fair while...and the games dont look anynear as good as X Box....and these are first generation X box games.
    The offshoot....have traded my ps2 in for a pre-ordered Gamecube....i loved my N64...miss my old Nintendo games :(
    ps Grand Theft Auto 3 and Baldurs Gate are both coming out on X Box...but enhanced versions :)
    By the way...Obi Wan on X box is lovely too.....
    best regards
    LittleT2

15. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I borrowed my mates' PS2, and played about 9 levels of james bond under fire.
    last week my mate came over from US, with an xbox under his arm, and a copy of halo. Can't believe I wasted playing james bond so much, Halo makes it look like a PS1 game.
    I realise this isn't offering an apples for apples comprison, but if FPS is what you want, buy xbox for Halo alone.

16. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I bought my xbox after selling my PS2. I have Halo, PGR, Rallisport and NHL 2002.

Aside from the awesome graphics and surround what has impressed me most is the sheer joy and gaming pleasure that I get from the thing. PGR feels very right indeed and Halo is very immersive. NHL is a lot of fun.

And that is my point. Apart from GTA3 on the PS2 I never felt like I was having any fun. I do now and I have no regrets about it. I even like the controller!

17. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is so much conjecture and what is better than the rest.

I have an X Box and love it to bits. My mate has a PS2 and loves his to bits but he concedes that the X Box is way out in front in most areas except available software and that is not really a fault at this early stage.

The proof in the pudding must be all you guys that own PS2's or have traded in or swapped. Your feedback is very encouraging for those thinking of buying.

Me saying it is better than a PS2 when I don't have one is a bit rich. From you guys it's very measurable indeed and hopefully will mean a successful future for the X Box.

Regards

18. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Can I be the first to jump back in now and say:-

Xbox - £199
    PS2 - £199

Absolutely no contest at all.

19. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that would be nice;)

As an original PS2 to XBox convertee, I can honestly say that the XBox, at the moment, is not BETTER than the PS2, but DIFFERENT.
    IMHO, in the long run, it will turn out to be better, and if you can pisck one up at the price qouted above, even second hand, then do so.

20. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Army Bloke 2,

I take it you haven't heard the news yet then!!

21. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Army Bloke,
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    You have just been elected to recieve a 2 free xbox games and an extra official controller.
    You lucky devil you.
    Claim your prize at http://www.xbox.com/uk (top right of the page)

Enjoy!
    Alex

22. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read the post!!

brilliant news for all non xbox owners and even better news for us already own it people.

What games will you have? I already have Halo, JSRF, THPS3 and PGR. I think I might wait until mid June and see what's on the horizon.

23. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn you Microsoft!! I was happy with my PS2. Content to bang on about the "rip-off" X Box. Now I think I need one. What with the Gamecube being about £170, I think I'm in BIG trouble.

24. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    yep by the time you've got games/controlers/mem cards it's near enough a grand for all three.
    Crikey!
    Xbox is the only one I'm missing but I'm starting to cave!

25. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Halo Halo !

I didn't buy an Xbox I bought Halo for 340quid the Xbox was free.
    I consider it money well spent.

(actually I used my goldfish vouchers it was nearer 150quid)

26. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean you spend £15k on your Goldfish.

I like your style !!

Regards

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    think it was £14750 but that was over 4 years !