1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 or X-Box?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Darren Blake, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Asking on behalf of a friend who wants to buy her other half a console for his birthday.

Given that I know nothing-naaaathiiiing about gaming or consoles apart from my 1980's Atari VCS, the question is simply:

Which is better by today's standards? X-Box or PS2 (or any other for that matter).

Criteria are number and quality of games AND use as a DVD player.

Sorry if its a dumb question, but thanks in advance.

2. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its not dumb at all its just that its THAT question lol

all the people with ps2 will say ps2 and all those with xbox will say xbox .

Ive had both and for me personally xbox would be the one to go for .
    Its much more powerful but games are whats important and xbox was lacking but now it has some great titles and obviously xbox live .
    and the big title every xbox fan is waiting for Halo 2 isn`t far off now .

3. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its quantity youre after buy a ps2
    if its quality youre after buy a x box
    ps2 dvd is crap
    xbox dvd isnt much better

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Buy the console which has the games he wants to play. And try both controllers for size.
    Personally I struggle with Dual Shock 2 and the Cube pad gives me cramp in my left hand.
    There are loads of games for the PS2 but most of the good stuff never leaves Japan.
    There isn't the same range of titles for the Xbox but then again how many games does your average punter buy?
    I've never owned more than 120 games on any format.

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you're really feeling brave, do a search on these forums for either. There are umpteen old threads that debate the advantages of all 3 consoles. A lot of fanboyism in there, but there's some real info if you look hard enough.

Speaking of fanboyism :), the XBox is exactly what I'm looking for in a system, and I'd never go back to the PS2.And if you look at it at a purely hardware-for-your-money perspective, XBox is a much better deal. (built-in hard drive/ethernet, no memory cards needed, no multi-tap needed, higher spec for less money)

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd say a PS2 for all-round games if you don't know what he'd like. It seems to have pretty much all the bases covered

Almost the whole archive of console threads are gone since the mods have cleared them out. The console forum only goes back a month now. Shame really, since there was a lot of useful info in there. Plus the fanboy threads were great for a late-night chuckle :D

7. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Pretty balanced so far...

She's buying it for him as a surprise so I don't think he'll be able to try before he buys. He recently borrowed an X-Box so I'd guess he's biased towards those at the moment.

Should have mentioned, I did do a search and was surprised at how little it turned up. Hence the question. :D

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I have to say that out of the 3 consoles I use the xbox the least.

I really wish there were more games on the xbox that I wanted to play, I end up trying to play titles because of the hi-def available but they dont hold my interest.

At the moment the PS2 is getting most of my time, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, quite simply the deepest and best fighter ever, (coming on xbox I believe), Ridge Racer V and absolute classic that really got overlooked, Kingdom Hearts (great action rpg), and out on import over the next few weeks are Initial D (wicked one on one racer from sega), R-Type Final, Metal Slug 3 and Gradius 5.

But we also have on the Gamecube :) F-Zero X, 1080 white storm, Wario world (by treasure), Viewtiful Joe.

Looking forward to Halo 2 (autumn 2004) on the xbox, star wars online mmrpg (oh no, that has been canned on Xbox), but there is um, er ................ well Halo 2 is worth keeping the xbox for.

At the end of the day what sort of games does he like, will he want to run it through a normal tv, or will he take advantage of progressive scan or maybe hi-def ????

It comes down to the games, not that helpful then
    :rolleyes: sorry :blush:

9. Ice Inferno

Ice Inferno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A month? They go all the way back to at least the end of august 2001! :eek:

You just have to change the drop down menu at the bottom of the page though to see all the threads from the beginning rather than within the last 20 days.

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

So they do :rolleyes: Thanks

I'd read that the mods had cleared out old posts and assumed they'd wiped most of the console forums. And since I could only see the last 30 days and hadn't changed any settings...

I publicly apologise to everyone for my mistake:rolleyes: :nono:

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Don't know if DD5.1 sound is important to you but the X Box is the only one that can do this in-game. And excellent it is too on some games. (Halo esp.)

12. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I sold my PS2 to get an Xbox. PS2 graphics dont come anywhere near to the Xbox IMO.
    Example:- My mate has Tiger Woods on the PS2, I also have it on the Xbox, after my mate playing my Xbox version he can no longer bring himself to play his one anymore.

Hope this helps!!

13. dave_b9000

dave_b9000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have been mulling over what console to buy. I have a dreamcast and over 100 games for it but am now thinking of making the move to either xbox or ps2. I'm leaning towards the xbox in terms of hardware quality but have noticed the reducing space it's been getting in places like game.

It's also a bit chunky to sit under the tv.
    can the xbox be made multi region for dvd and can you do the same for playing ntsc games as well?

14. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

Just for information, he will have no need for hi-def or 5.1 sound. The console will run through a CRT colour TV with SCART input.

No idea what his taste in games might be, but I reckon driving ones will feature fairly heavily.

15. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can be made multi region .

it is bigger but the ps2 isn`t small .

There is no reason to mention GC as the poster said it must have DVD .

also has a hard drive so no memory cards either .

Im sorry but IMO these two console do not compare anymore on any level .

The PS2 does have more games but Xbox now has every genre of games and more than enough for a first time buyer .

As for whats comming Midnight Club 2 (already out ) Brute Force ,Halo 2 ,Onimusha 2 and nearly every multi format game will be better on Xbox .

I can understand when someone says they don`t play a console anymore like gizlaroc because this always happens but from an objective point of view for a first time buyer Id say get the Xbox .

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Personally, I would go for the PS2, unless your friend is able to do online gaming, in that case I would buy an X-Box.

The X-Box is marginally better graphics (it is not that pronounced) but it does have a rather lacking games department. Nearly all the games are still multi-format titles or PC ports.

In fact, if your mates gf has the money I would recommend a PC over the X-Box anyday!

17. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    PS2 does have a number of exclusives but the xbox is accelerating past the PS2 now in way of quality. I played Burnout2 on my mates PS2 the other day. Absolutely loved it. I bought the Xbox version and it is sooo much better. Graphics, sound and extras. Developers are really starting to exploit the Xboxes hardware now.

Halo is still superb to play. You can have upto four people playing on one xbox, which is just great fun. Then if you buy a £5 link cable you can link to boxes and have upto 8 then get a lan for 8+ ...After my PS2 mate came round for a 6 player Halo session on two projectors he rushed out and bought himself a Xbox.

PS2 youll have to buy a multi-tap to get any more than two players playing then you have to buy memory cards etc....

I'm not saying the PS2 isn't worth buying. It's just if you want the best then buy xbox. Xbox is cheaper and you get more for your money (harddrive, four controller ports, better sound, better graphics).

Sinzer - Sorry mate. Must have been writing the message at the same time as you. I disagree with your graphics comment...there is no comparison when it comes to graphics and it's becoming more and more apparent.

18. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, if your mates gf has the money I would recommend a PC over the X-Box anyday!

thatll help him .

19. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick un get ya sen to game see what has the best packs ps2/x-box buy it if youre not happy take advantage of the 28 day no quibble return

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660

Ohh I must be getting old, I cant keep up with all this internet chat, and text messages !!??? dont start me on them ;)

21. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The xbox gfx should be alot better in everygame, due to its superior specs, the reality is most multiformat games are only marginally better graphically due to lazy ports.

Also to the guy who said The Xbox version of Burnout is so much better, it should be but it isnt, you are not telling people the facts, which is by the time it was available to xbox owners, it had been out on the PS2 more then 6 months, I have had both versions, and while the xbox version is slightly better graphically and has some more extras (So it bloody should) its still a lazy port that does not take fully take advantage of the xbox's power.

The PS2's gfx in Burnout are brilliant and are extending the systems life, the xbox's gfx are just a couple of points higher, and whats all this about xploiting the xbox's ability?

Its capable of much more, but the dev's aint gonna put that time in as they know it aint gonna sell as many copies as the PS2:(

And yes you do get more bang for your buck, unfortunately most of teh developers have put a lid on the box if you see what I mean.

It is only a few select dev teams like Bungie etc that write games that fully utilize the xboxs power, everything else is just astraight port with 5.1 and high res textures.

If only an Optimized version of winning Eleven came to the xbox:(

22. PowerK

PowerK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen to that!

:D