PS2 Online !!!!PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by xvanityx, Aug 14, 2005.

1. xvanityx

xvanityx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: :confused: Ok, I recently signed up for AOL Broadband Silver which is the only one I could get in my area. I know the PS2 need 512Kbps to connect to the net and AOL silver has 512Kpbs top speed. So would it work? and would it be faster if i connected my ps2 straight to the modem instead of internet connection sharing through the computer? :confused: :confused:

Thanks

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,773
    Ugghh, that's one horrible colour your typing in there :nono: ;)
    I had 512Kpbs from Tiscali for about 12 months before being able to upgrade to 2MB, I neever had problems with it really with PS2 online or Xbox Live, funny thing was that I did get lag from pc games like Battlefield1942, maybe due to the larger amount of online players on PC.
    I've used both of those conection types, didn't notice much difference myself, I got fed up with the CAT5 cable trailing from the lounge to the bedroom so opted for another modem (Linksys WAg54G), I now have that plugged direct with my PS2/Xbox and the PC is connected via a wireless card (given up on online pc games now as it's getting a bit long in the tooth :rolleyes: )
    Hope that helps!
    Lee.

3. xvanityx

xvanityx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much. so would i just be able to plug my ps2 into the pc using a crossover cable and then connect the pc to the internet?

then the ps2 obviously

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,773
    Yep, well after a bit of fiddling around with configurations of course, you'll have to set up internet connection sharing if I remember rightly. Word of warning, the PS2 can be a bit of a pig to get online and configured the first time, took me all of about 10 mins to get up&running on Xbox live, then spent the rest of the night tearing my hair out trying to do the same with my PS2 :eek:
    But then, it was all completely new to me so you may get it sotted straight off :thumbsup:
    Oh, welcome to the forums BTW :smashin:

5. xvanityx

xvanityx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey thanks :thumbsup:

it does say on the aol site though that ps2 or xbox online gaming requires aol gold (1mb) or aol platinum (2mb)

are they just lying and trying to rip us off?

aol silver is the only one i can get in my area

6. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,773
    well, not really, of course the higher speed conection you can get, the better it will be for online gaming. But like I said, I was on the 512 conection and played without problems. The only thing is I'm not a player of games such as Halo2 or the other big hitters with loads of gamers, usually I tend to play the slightly less popular online games which perhaps helps. Actually with the PS2 I started out with SSX3 which was only 2 players online but was great fun :)
    Anyway, as it seems to be your only option at the moment, I would just try it and if you are getting any problems with lag, try to get into games without too many gamers, hopefully you'll be fine and maybe an upgrade to your area will come quicker than you expect :cool:

PS: are you sure you can only use AOL? that does surprise me as I hadn't heard of anyone being restricted to one ISP :confused: Surely if you can get broadband you can choose which ISP to use? didn't think that AOL are the best of them TBH

7. xvanityx

xvanityx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I can get other broadband ISPs....well....a few...but i can get the 512Kbps AOL (the only AOL broadband service i can get) for a very big discount so i didnt want to spend more for another ISP