1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Online Gaming

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Greg Hook, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,238
    Hi

Just bought a PS2 and I am interested in the online gaming that they do. Doesn't seem to expensive at around £25 to get the adaptor.

I know the popular one at the moment is the XBox live, but what is the Ps2 online service like?

Also when playing an online game on my PC you often get jumps and lags, that sort of thing. When playing through the PS2 would you still get these kind of things or is it completely smooth, as if you were playing on your own?

Cheers
    Greg

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, to be honest as your connection depends on the good ol' Net, you can have lag in a PS2 online situation as well.

I've seen cases where other players seem to "jump" and put it down to temporary network probs.

Generally speaking it's pretty good, but it will vary from game to game and I guess is heavily linked to the bandwidth requirements of a particular title.

This doesn't seem to happen that often though, I would class it as a pretty "smooth" experience, but I don't have anything else to compare it with, such as PC gaming.

Good hardware can help in this respect as well, for example an ADSL router would probably be more reliable than say a PC with a USB ADSL modem and ICS. Some people are so paranoid that they look to change their kit if it reduces their ping times by say 5 milliseconds or maybe even less!