1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 on Sony VW10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, Mar 20, 2001.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll soon be wiring my home cinema room ready for the arrival of my Sony Projector - I'm going to run component, S-video and composite wires between the hardware and projector locations.

However one question is - What method of connection is best suited to the PS2 into a projector. I've read postings which suggest that S-video is the best but that it needs special connections/connectors and/or wires - is this the case?? has anyone wired a PS2 into a Sony??? and had a similar experience??

Any advice greatly apprciated - I want to make sure I run as many of the right wires prior to the room being plastered and redecorated!(even if some of them end up being redundant!)

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well on my setup I have used both Component and S-Video by using the specific (read expensive) Sony Cables. Both were readily available in HMV.

In the end I settled on S-Video via my Yamaha Amp as I also run a Dreamcast and VHS Video in too (as well as the DVD).

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jenz,

Thanks for that, but i need to run a cable up a wall cavity and accross a ceiling to where the projector wil be ceiling mounted - I therefore guess that this precludes the use of original Sony S-video cables?? presume they come in standard 2m lengths?

Can't I use standard S-video cable ? in other words whats so special about the Sony connectors?? and does the Sony PS2 support component output ( If so I could then use my AVR3801 - two component inputs- as a switch)

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes in your scenario if you are using component from the Amp to the Projector use Component from PS2 to the AMP.

You should be able to pick up Sony PS2 Component Cables from HMV or EB. I got mine in HMV for £14.99.

Ideally if you are running multiple sources its cost effective to feed the Projector thru the Amp if the Amp can handle Component.

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jenz,

I'm trying to track a component lead down now - as you would expect Sony are of little help at all in this.

Does the component lead have RGB and Left / Right audio or is it an Amercican Style component lead with RGB & vertical / horizontal???

Presuming it's the former will I need to use a digital (optical I think) out to the amp/processor to get DD / DTS from the PS2???

And that being the case would I bother to connect the audio L/R leads??

Thanks

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's this one.

You still need optical out for the DD/DTS. DD/DTS is ONLY available via Optical Out. When using Optical Out you no longer need the L/R Phonos.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Floyd,

Looks good but i don't know if the Sony VPL VW 10 HT has a VGA input - anyone know??

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sure does, just check the review of it on this site for confirmation. Has a XVGA input for PC/MAC

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ace, I'll give that a go,

Anybody got any advice re the optical connection for sound

11. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jenz,

Presumably I wont have to hook up the two "spare" phono's (Black and White I think) - but the thing will still work right?

Do you know if the optical cable is a specific Sony type (like for their MiniDisc Players) or is it a generic type???

[This message has been edited by dealmaker (edited 23-03-2001).]

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dealmaker,
    Hasn't the sony got a VGA connector?
    I'm sure it has, my Sanyo PLV30 has. If so get a VGA box for your PS2 for by far the best picture! I havn't got a PS2, but a DC connected via a VGA box is mind blowing!

13. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I don't know if you can get a VGA box for the PS2 - I certainly havent seen one anywhere-
    Component, composite, RF, and s-video are all supported but not, i think VGA????????

Any ideas //

[This message has been edited by dealmaker (edited 23-03-2001).]

14. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jenz,

Got both a component and s-video lead from HMV at the weekend (walked in off the street and there they were!).

Question is can i daisy chain the s-video and component together??? - The s-video box has an additional female socket for the PS2 connector as well as s-video and composite output. My plan - if it will work is to have ps2 - to s-video connector and then component connector to that - the component output will be fed to my amp and then to the projector - a separate s-video signal will be taken from the s-video box to the TV - this way i should be able to use the ps2 with the projector or tv without having to switch connectors etc.

The only question is will it work - i know te ps2 has a setup menu which asks for component (RGB) out or not.

Any ideas??

The other alternative is to forget the component connections and use s-video with the amp being the switch projector / tv.

Also does the optical digital out overide the phono sound output -

and... is the optical digital cable a standard jobby or a bespoke Sony one ...no one seems to be able to answer this question for me.

Thanks

15. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Neil,

The sony "AV S-video" connector I have has a small connections box - the feed lead is from the Sony PS2 the box on one side it has standard composite audio L/R output, on the other a Female s-video connector and in the end a female Sony PS2 connector.

I don't know if connecting the component Sony lead into it will work or not, guess I'll have to try once the projectors set up.

What do you mean when you say the phono's are down mixed in Dolby Digital.

Will I get DD on the games or does this just work on encoded DVD's???

Thans for the advice re the optical by the way - and I'll try to get that demo over the next couple of days!!

16. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Phonos can only carry Dolby 2.0 Surround so if you use them to listen to DD5.1 you get a downmixed signal. Stick to Optical [​IMG]

17. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question is can i daisy chain the s-video and component together??? - The s-video box has an additional female socket for the PS2 connector as well as s-video and composite output. My plan - if it will work is to have ps2 - to s-video connector and then component connector to that - the component output will be fed to my amp and then to the projector - a separate s-video signal will be taken from the s-video box to the TV - this way i should be able to use the ps2 with the projector or tv without having to switch connectors etc.

Hmmm which S-Video Box is this? My PS2 S-Video cable doesn't have a box on it.

The only question is will it work - i know te ps2 has a setup menu which asks for component (RGB) out or not.

My understanding was that this configured the output socket for RGB or YUV only and did not affect the Composite or S-Video signals.

The other alternative is to forget the component connections and use s-video with the amp being the switch projector / tv.

This is how I do it.

Also does the optical digital out overide the phono sound output -

Don't think so, though the Phono's are downmixed if Dolby Digital is used.

and... is the optical digital cable a standard jobby or a bespoke Sony one ...no one seems to be able to answer this question for me.

Standard Optical Connector. Any opitcal cable will work fine. I'm using an off the shelf IXOS.

Regards Neil.
    P.s. Hurry up and play Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on it - [​IMG]