1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 on projector Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan76n, Jan 24, 2004.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have yet to purchase a projector but will be once i complete my house and wanted to know what ps2 is like on them? Does it make 2 player games alot better due to split screen still being pretty big unlike a tv or do you loose resolution? Also can you play time crisis on them with the gun?
    thanks.

2. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have used my son's PS2 on my projector. I personally find it a bit distracting as the picture is not at all smooth (not enough pixels). I previously played a few PC games and at the 800x600 resolution, they were well worth the effort. It is all subjective, but hooking the PS2 up to a really large screen can be too much.

I don't think any of the gun type products will work on LCD or DLP projectors. I admit I haven't tried it, but as far as I know most of these work by measuring the time delay between the sensor and the start of the picture as it is scanned on a TV tube. As LCD and DLP projectors don't scan their images in this way, then I don't believe they will work..

Cheers
    John

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I played my PS2 on my Projector more than on the telly and it was great! I was using component out on the ps2 though so that will make a difference.

As johnm60 says guns wont work on a pj as it relies on the scan lines of the tv to work out where you are aiming - a similar problem happens with widescreen tvs also.

If you do go the pj route and require a ps2 to component calbe drop me na email - I still have mine - haven't had chance to thorow it on fleabay yet. Or you can stick a wanted request on the forums and i will reply.

4. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    It certainly helps some game genres, but does nothing for others. It can also be a bit overwhelming.

I've found that vertical splitscreen vs games benifit the most, as you can effectively get a full sized TV each (or more!), as can 4-player spltscreen.

Most people say FPS, racing and vs games get the most off bigscreens. Though recently i played Beyond Good & Evil, which is a native widescreen game, and that really got "cinematic" from a PJ and surround sound. Unfortnately i'm only using a crappy s-video cable at the mo, so the colours look a little washed out.

5. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ah cmon folks. I love playing Madden 2004 on a 6ft screen. Granted some other games jsut have too much going on to take it all in.