ps2 on 4k tv

frankie carbone

hi i have a Sony XH9505 i still have my ps2 console [20 years old ]is it possible to connect ps2 to 4k just with the av cables that came with ps2 or do i have to buy ps2 hdmi adapter i tried av cable saw the ps2 logo on screen but screen went wavy can i change resolution when on av.thanks

mikej

What type of PS2 AV cable do you have ? Connection via an AV cable that has composite plugs (red/white/yellow RCA) for a console of that age should be possible, so any issues may be down to supported video resolutions on the TV side.

Does the PS2 have a default output resolution or does it depend on the game ? The TV should automatically upscale any supported resolution it accepts (check the 'Video Signal Support' entry in the TV specs table) but you might want to check if there are video output resolution options on the PS2. Note that the TV doesn't support 480i, which might be an issue ?

There's lots of in-depth info on his subject from about 12 mins into this YouTube video

Tonycv51

thanks for your reply av cable is (red/white/yellow RCA) will check youtube link
Component video will be much better quality. For that you need the converter and ps2 component cables (check converter will work on ps2 lower resolutions)

Or if you have an av receiver it may convert analog component input from the ps2 to hdmi out to the tv, but not all will do, or may not cater for ps2 resolution

Last edited:

mikej

Component video will be much better quality. For that you need the converter and ps2 component cables (check converter will work on ps2 lower resolutions)

Or if you have an av receiver it may convert analog component input from the ps2 to hdmi out to the tv, but not all will do, or may not cater for ps2 resolution

I didn't mention component as his TV doesn't appear to have component inputs, but that's a good point about a converter or AVR being possible ways around that :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom