1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 not reading discs...

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by SimonO, Jun 27, 2004.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My PS2 has taken to not reading game discs at start up... It sits at the 'browser' screen and requires numerous attempts to load... I've tried the obvious lens cleaning discs with little success...

Any ideas...

(Don't say buy an Xbox!!!)

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Common problem amongst early PS2s.

Call Sony and they will fix it.

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks... Any idea how much they should charge..?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Can sometimes be almost the same price to simply buy a new one(we did this recently after the kids wore out the old one)...another simple trick to tide things over is to stand the box vertically....it sometimes works,by allowing the laser to sit fractionally closer to the discs.

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i called about 6 months ago when my first ps2 died on me and sony said that it would cost £85 for my unit to be repaired or about £70 to get a standard refurbed one. The silver ps2s had just been released then so i went and bought one of those instead..

6. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I worked for a number of years in the industry and failure rate of Playstations is legendary. Evidence of this is the number of design changes that afflicted the original Playstaion. Admittedly some of these were in a cost cutting exercise but most were to address many design errors that should have been highlighted during R&D rather than the public sector. The most obvious problem was the decision to include the power supply board inside the machine. This had such an adverse effect on the laser that the console was redesigned to allow the laser to be place as far as possible from the power supply. Sony should take a leaf out of Nintendo's book. Nintendo's consoles are second to none for realiability, even in the company's first disc-based media effort.

Its even more shocking that Sony remains the market leader.

regards FRANC

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Having said all that,Franc,it doesnt really help SimonO,although I'm sure we would all agree with what you say re power supply and internal layout.
    The internal packaging is certainly amazingly close and high density.

For all the use it's had though,my kids' machine has withstood constant,daily abuse for 3yrs prior to the read problems beginning to appear,so in terms of reliability,we certainly haven't had problems.

8. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    point taken Alexs2, but you can count yourself very lucky! The best advice has already been submitted (buy new unit, sony refurb and temporary fix). I only wanted to highlight a problem that exists which Sony has done a very good job to hide.
    N.B. Sony has a very comprehensive repair network which in itself speaks volumes. All repairs need to go through Sony (they won't make parts available) so they have complete control over that too.

regards FRANC

9. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I assume the strange grinding noise the disc drawer makes is common also.!?

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I do agree with a lot of that,and my advice was simply to buy a new one from somewhere like dabs for instance,which had very good prices a while back.

We did find that the temporary "fix"(standing it on it's side!) worked for quite a few months,which wasn't bad value for a trick my son dug up on the net.

It's just a pity that it's often cheaper and better in the long run nowadays to replace something entirely,than have it repaired.

As to your last post,SimonO,the disc drawer on the PS2 isn't the best example of quiet design,but I'm not sure it should grind.

11. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Interestingly, I can't get ours to load at all on it's side... Looks like I may have to buy a new one...

Oh, and one of our Wavebird Gamecube controllers has packed up today so it's turning into an expensive weekend...

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Isnt it always the same....I was away at a meeting a few weeks back...came home to find the kids had FUBAR'd the PC to the point where a new one was needed...still,new one's much quicker....

13. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Why dont you just replace the laser unit, you can pick one up for about £40.00

I have had my version4 for just over 3 years now and its starting to play up, its on its second gen modchip and has been used for many hours.

Im just gonna fit a new laser unit, the rest of the ps2 is in perfect working order.

Thanks

Dal