PS2 not filling the screen

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by dUnKle, Aug 28, 2006.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,851
    Giving my PS2 a new lease of life but can not get it to fill the screen on my Samsung 50" DLP set

Connection via either Scart or S-Video gives black borders not only at top and bottom but also the sides of the screen

Can it be corrected ?

2. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

What output do you have set in the PS2 settings? There are 3 - Full, 4:3 and 16:9. You may have it set to 4:3?

Shaz

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Same happens to me on my projector via component. My projector has an option to over scan so i do this to get a full image so its not a problem at all. Maybe your tv has this ? If so use it :)

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I also get this on my PJ with the PS2 - I just zoom in further on that. As Kop says an overscan function should do the job if your set has one.

5. fallenangle

fallenangle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Are we talking about games or DVDs?

Through RGB SCART connections a left image field shift is very common leaving a black border down the right of the screen. On many TV's this is corrected automatically or can be manually (my Sony 32" widescreen has a specific RGB SCART adjustment menu controlling both image height and left/right positioning).

On other TVs the left shift may actually be hidden by the screen surround or due to the above mentioned over-scan.

However with some TVs a game's image field may simply not fill the screen and if the game is sloppily produced may not even be centred in that image field. Unforgiveably many of these PS2s games do not have image repositioning options to at least allow recentring. Personally I do not find a bordered image objectionable as long as the image is centred but I hate playing games or watching DVD/TV with uneven borders. I get almost anal about correcting it.

Short of going into the Service Menu (which is what I do), allowing you to correct these problems, there not much you can do, if the options aren't provided by your TV or PS2 game.

6. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have the same problem with my projector. The PS2 is set to 16x9 and component output. The picture does not feel the screen, it leaves a boarder about 4inches all round. I dont understand why it does not fill the screen, its a pain have to to zoom and then reset it for movies