1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Mod Chip installation?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jackuzi, Jan 7, 2003.

1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate any comments/advice on how difficult it is to install a chip to a PS2. I am thinking along the lines of Messiah 2 or Magic 3.

Also can anyone recommend which is the one to go for and where to buy.

Thanks,

Uzi

ps. If it's relevant I have the latest version of PS2.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'd suggest Magic 3 but to be honest there's nothing much in them. The Magic 3 is the later chip though. Providing you have very good soldering skills with the right tip (<1mm), good light etc then you should be OK. However, I would say that if you have not done much soldering on PCBs before then do not attempt it. You will have to solder 21 wires to VERY small components (some IC legs less than .5mm apart) on both sides of the motherboard which must be removed to achieve this.

It is doable with the right skills but do not underestiamte how easy it will be to mess up your unit.

Now, if you'd said an XBox with xEcuter, OpenBox etc then that's a piece of cake :D

As to buying get along to www.psxservices.co.uk

Take a look at the installation diagrams on that site (you can also order there - great company, give Greg my regards) and remember these have been blown up about 10 times so you'll see what you'll have to do.

Hope that helps.

3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice Messiah. I'm quite nervous about doing the work myself which won't help on the day!! :(

I have done a bit of soldering and could only call myself a novice really...recently made my own VGA cable and managed to solder the 11 connections okay on both plugs although not much to lose if I made a mistake there I suppose :rolleyes:

I may see if someone local will do the fitting for me. Ho-Hum....

Uzi

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Cable for a VGA lead probably had core wire a minimum of 1mm diameter. The kynar wire you will use for a PS2 chip has a core diameter of 0.1mm. Just to give you an idea of how you will need good sight (or a fixed illuminated magnifying glass) and a very steady hand.

Good luck if you do it yourself. You'll never know unless you try.