1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Linux Released

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by hornydragon, May 25, 2002.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    got mine today..:) can;t wait to play around with it..

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I start... I'll admit I'm MS fan... that should save everyone giving me a kicking... (I think!)

My question is... whats the market for this?

Youngsters with PS2's with £155 in their pockets to burn? Seems unlikely to me....

Or what about....

30somethings who have got the money and so much spare time they fancied learning LINUX for fun? (Sony themselves advise you have previous experience with LINUX)

Dont get me wrong, I realise with the sheer number of PS2's out thier they will shift a fair few of these.

But somehow I dont think MS are going to be quaking in their boots just yet.

Mark.

(Who runs and hides very quickly!)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    MS wont quake but sony have given the PS2 all the extras that an XBOX has save Power, XBOX must succeed, to much invested for it to fail. Linux is limited to a small audience, PS2 is huge, 10% of PS2 owners buy this Linux gets 10 times the exposure on the market, Linux becomes a viable alternative, MS loses home business OS monopoly, this is what I see happenig, and withApple expected to double their market share the mighty MS could falter and actually produce something good that is reliable, and we all win!
    May be I'm an optimist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_2005000/2005495.stm

5. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with that track though is that you would have to be a desperately short on cash VERY technically savvie home business user to use that setup....

And if thats the position youre in... why not buy a cheap 2nd hand PC with Win9X on it and have a million widely supported applications at your disposal?

I'm not saying for a second that I think the current MS position is a good one, and I think their current move with Licensing 6.0 is an excellent demostration of why the market does need to change... (abuse of market position etc)

BUT... I'm a technically savvie user who runs his own IT company and has been involved in PC's since DOS....

And the mere thought of the technical nightmare that is LINUX makes me sweat... recompiling kernels to remove redundent modules (as I read of a "normal" user doing recently)....

LINUX badly needs a PR job.. drop the techie.. talk easy to use... and start hyping the support... then wait 2 years... and maybe just maybe MS might have some competition....

But if LINUX continues to push itself in the techie way it does... Sony or no Sony... its dead...

Just my 2 cents! :)

Mark.