PS2 into my Denon AMP

A

AV Freak

I have my PS2 connected into my Denon 3802 via componant and I also have an optical lead connected but the Denon does not seem to recognise the optical connection. I have the outputs on the PS2 calibrated correctly and still nowt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

not a 100% sure but the optical only comes into play on the fmv where you can get dts an 5.1 but there is no ingame digital.

Originally posted by SILVERBACK
not a 100% sure but the optical only comes into play on the fmv where you can get dts an 5.1 but there is no ingame digital.

Wrong.

Optical out work for all sound output of PS2, but when a digital format is sent the amp will recognise it and change accordingly.

Also, to correct a common misconception PS2 can output dts during games as per NHL2002/2003 and SSX Tricky. Only really any point though if you connect via optical lead to appropriate amp/receiver.

AV Freak

Can you test the lead with another source?

Make sure you have assigned the optical in to the right source on your receiver - via the on screen display setup options, viewable only via s-video or composite to your TV.

The amp will then recognise the optical in - hopefully.

Pathfinder

i did say i wasnt a 100% but thanks for correcting me an pointing out the fact im WRONG lol.so your telling me if i hook up my ps2 to the amp with optical i can play gta vice city in dts(as it does say in the menu it has dts) ???? i could have sworn some one said it couldnt handle in game dts 5.1 ???

Originally posted by SILVERBACK
i did say i wasnt a 100% but thanks for correcting me an pointing out the fact im WRONG lol.

Yeah sorry about that, forgot about the first few words of your post in my haste to get the info across.

lol no prob mate i do it all the time,graham myers could you tell me if its proper 5.1 dts an not 4.0 if its 5.1 look like its another cable in the back of the amp lol.:D

From memory all the lights are on (but nobody's home:devil: ) so its 5.1

I'll check tonight and confirm tomorrow

no time to wait mate lol i been playing in ****ty pro logic for to long im off to get a optical now lol.could you tell me if its an active dts soundtrack or do the rears very rarely get used ?? before i go an buy

There is some rear activity (ooo err:devil: ) but I've dipoles in a THX setup so I tend to get a more omni directional sound so cant *definately* say.

ok i just tried the optical from my mini disc player an there she glows an nice big blue light saying dts but.unfortunately its not full blown dts as my amp does not say dts3/2 but dts2/2 so it looks like i was right the ps2 can not do dts properly.damn it was good while it lasted oh well back to prologic for me an it doesnt really sound any different to be honest well not night an day difference any way :mad: on closer inspection it is the centre channel missing damn it one speaker short of perfection :rolleyes:

i changed my mind although its not full blown dts the sound is a hell of a lot better always help if you have the amp turned up a little(what a tool lol) thanks for the advice graham an pathfinder.im now enjoying vice city in pseudo dts an its ounds lovely an bassey especially on them harleys the neighbours wont like this lol.so graham i say we split if 50/50 you was right about dts an the sound coming throw the optical an i was right about it not being fully blown dts lol:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom