1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Image Quality Problems

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by chrisnic00, Jan 29, 2005.

1. chrisnic00

chrisnic00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help me.
    The image quailty always seems off with the PS2, ive got a 28" old school
    CRT. But thats not the problem as my GC plays perfect, an example of what i mean about image quality is when i play GTA:SA the image isnt crisp it looks slighty jagged. I can kinda get rid of it using my TVs Noise reduction but it makes the image too blurred.
    Can anyone help or offer some solutions?
    Oh i have the usual scart cable PS2 aswell
    Thanks
    Nico

Ps im playing the games from my HD will this m ake a difference?

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    At minimum you must ensure that you are using an RGB Scart lead as opposed to a composite one (like the one that comes with it).

To really get a good picture then you need a Component connection - your display needs to be able to connect component devices though. It's amazing how much sharper the PS2 graphics are using a component lead!

3. chrisnic00

chrisnic00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you recommend me a good RGB scart cable please? Or where to purchase one in the UK?

Thanks for info
    nico

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Hi there all pretty much the same to be honest.

Mine is a Joytech one and it provides a great RGB picture - you can get one here! :thumbsup:

5. chrisnic00

chrisnic00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks found an old Ps1 scart cable hanging around and its works like a dream thanks for the info,
    Nico

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The ps2 tv output is generally 60 unique half frames rather than 30 frames each with two fields. This makes animation appear smoother but can result in jaggies. The PS2 is basically completely setup for interlace displays. By comparision the DC, xbox and gamecube all create whole frames at a time and display each frame as two fields for interlace output. Both methods are perfectly good for normal tvs but when you display them via a projector the ps2 looks awful because my lcd projector (AE100) can't de-interlace ps2 video output very well unlike GC, DC and Xbox.

Also the ps2 video output is generally 640x200 interpolated to 640x400 where as both the gc and dc do 640x480 and the xbox is beyond that at something like 720x480.

I love my ps2 but lets face it the hardware is pretty weak. When I connect my DC to my AE100 via vga the graphics look absolutely amazing but when I connect the ps2 via component its only just acceptable. It is better with the few progressive games but still not a patch on even interlace output from my pal gc let alone progressive gc output. The xbox should be best of all but my xbox gives out a lowish contrast image and looks far worse than the gc and dc.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    My PS2 was pretty ropey through my Epson TW-10H PJ using RGB (where as RGB on my CRT is great!), but it's superb via component and outputs pretty much the same quality as standard 480p X-Box games. Maybe some PJ's are better at displaying PS2 component output than others.

Not hooked up my DC or GC yet but i'll give them a go sometime. I need to get a component lead for my GC and a VGA box for the DC first - hmm ebay time me thinks!