1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 for newbies

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Shady, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Chaps

After being a long time PC gamer (halflife, UT, Quake - god bless FPS's) have finally been seduced by the console as solo gaming in the confines of the spare bedroom is not as much fun as on a 32" widescreen TV with B&W surround speakers, mates and beers.

So, what's the deal?

Can the PS2 be hooked up to the optical digital audio in on my Sony DBR930 amp?

Does it come with a suitable toslink cable?

Will the sound be in 5.1 surround?

Will Gran Turismo sound like I have the starting grid at Le mans in my living room?

The AV multi out connector -what's at the other end (scart / s-video?).

Why two memory card slots? What do the memory card slots do? Does the basic machine come with one (two)?

What are the best web-sites / shops for ordering games? (Play anyone?).

Looking to buy after Christmas (just in case anyone wants to buy me one) in the 'sales'.

Any other questions or comments will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Can the PS2 be hooked up to the optical digital audio in on my Sony DBR930 amp?

Yes

Does it come with a suitable toslink cable?

NO

Will the sound be in 5.1 surround?

Not yet, but maybe soon....

Will Gran Turismo sound like I have the starting grid at Le mans in my living room?

Doubt it, but if you turn it up loud enough maybe it will :D

The AV multi out connector -what's at the other end (scart / s-video?).

The cable that comes with the PS2 has three phonos at the end (left/right audio and video). It also has a scart plug that you can connect these to. Better bet is to get a RGB cable for it. Much better picture.

Why two memory card slots? What do the memory card slots do? Does the basic machine come with one (two)?

These slots (funnily enough) are for memory cards. These are required to save your games to.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101

I doubt the sales will offer much (if any) of a reduction on hardware.:(

Why not wait for March for an X-Box or a bit later for a Gamecube? Both more powerful than PS2.

4. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Most games are Stereo and a few have dolby surround, but it will playback Dolby Digital 5.1 & Dts games when & if the Game makers can be botherded to use this great feature.

PS2 also plays DVD movies so you & your mates can order that Jenna movie on the AV forums ad banner & let us all know what it's like............:eek:

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's unlikely that PS2 games will come with 5.1 surround as there is no encoder on the machine and it will be seen as niche marketing. The XBox does have said encoder I think which means games should be in 5.1 from the off. THat's my understanding of it anyway. Apologies if it's a load of drivel.:rolleyes:

S

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    The AV socket on the PS2 is I believe exactly the same as the PS1. It has active pins for composite , s-video and RGB. All thats required is a suitably wired cable ( RGB needs some in-line 220uF capacitors to bump the level up for decent brighness otherwise crap picture).

Basically if you buy a PS scart lead you should get RGB or composite straight out of the box . If you open it up and rewire it a bit you can get s-video via scart ( done this myself).

I am thinking of picking up a PS2 later this week when devil may cry comes out: Electronics boutique are doing a PS2 with any two games for 250quid and get this they have a no quibble returns policy up to 30 days after purchase! The sales assistant I spoke to suggested I get one to play over christmas and if I don't like it take it back for a refund! I suggested EB sales staff are not on commision then to which he laughingly replied "yeah we don't care!"

highly amusing!

7. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at the moment, but it could be programed in software by a games developer (but it will use a lot of the PS2 resources as it goes through the Processor). So dont count on it yet.

Not much use for them other than for storing game saves, you need to buy them as they dont come bundled with the PS2, and you will need more in the future when they are full (or you could just delete all your effort in a game to make some space)

Anywhere that has a money back gurantee, as you will need it.

Sony has only just lowered the price, but they might lower it again in March when the Xbox and Gamecube are due.

Yes, buy an Xbox, as you dont need to buy memory cards for it, and most games are already 5.1 AC3 encoded. Plus you have a vast choice of AV leads for it. So you can link it using optical digital.

Anne
    (is ready for all the PS2 Fanboys responses)

8. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm Anne not all XBox games are 5.1, in fact very few of the launch titles are even HALO isnt, the box has no Dolby Digital logo on it- and for all you PS2 owners the preferred sound format for PS2 5.1 games is.......................

D T S

The same goes for GameCube.

No idea about what games carry it but they are on their way. About the same as Xbox then. No better or worse. Well until we get DTS games.

9. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Never been to Le mans, but when I hooked the PS2 optical up to my AX-1 and 46" RPTV, it was impressive. It kept me away from my PC for over a week, only logged on to check my e-mail

I'm pretty sure the best signal you can get with a PS2 out the box without rewiring, is simple composite, the scart connector merely allows you to connect to a more modern telly, the cable from the PS2 only has L/R audio and Yellow composite plug, which then gets modified to a scart connector through the supplied adaptor [i.e 3 x phono connectors one side and 1 x scart other side]

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Nope if its anything like the PS1 the scart lead plugs straight into the AV port of the console and utilises the RGB and composite sync pins.
    I've seen unbranded leads for 3quid that manage this no problem. I'm not referring to the lead that comes bundled with the console.

11. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There alredy some games out which utilise in game on the fly 5.1 audio. Both SSX Tricky and NHL2002 from EA Sports utilise DTS interactive to provide realtime 5.1 channel sound. From what I've read they've acheived this by using one of the two VPU in the Emotion Engine to handle the realtime encoding. Obivously this will stop the game's looking as good as those that use both VPU's to good effect for the graphics but from what I've seen SSX Tricky looks pretty good anyway.

Other game do have 5.1 sound but just for the soundtracks. Burnout has a DD 5.1 soundtrack and pro-logic for the effects. Other games such as The Bouncer and Final Fantasy also have 5.1 sound for the cut scenes. GT3 has a Pro-logic effects which sound pretty good and, yes on the start line you can hear engines reving all around you as the camare pans down around your car before the start.

stephen

12. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure how correct this is, but Factor 5 who wrote Rogue Squadron II for GC say that the cubes DSP is capable of DTS decoding and with a proposed optical lead for the high speed port on the GC DTS may become the 5.1 format for Nintendo.
    Of course we all know Nintendos past history in the form of addons actually appearing!!!

Also the next Final Fantasy on PS2 was meant to have a DTS soundtrack- not dynamic but one nontheless.

Finally anyone know where I can get a Pro-Logic II DSP seperate?

13. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just wanted to say I actually bought SSX Tricky yesterday. OMG:D The sound is absolutly amazing and the rest of the games not bad either;) The first time I was going down the mountain and suddenly heard another boarder shout out from behind me I almost fell out of my chair- pretty hard when you consider I was on my recliner. The 5.1 sound brings a whole new dimension to the video game experience. You can hear exactly where other boarders are and hear them carving from side to side behind you. Fantastic. It raises the whole experience to another level entirely.

14. axc97c

axc97c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for info, the surround sound produced on a PS2 in SSX Tricky is 4 Channel DTS, not fully fledged 5.1

Thanks

Adam