1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 for import games !

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by fondie, Sep 21, 2003.

1. fondie

fondie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, i was hoping someone could advise me

i'm after a PS2 for playing US and/or Jap games, and am not sure what the cheapest and most elegant solution mught be. I wouldn't mind if i were only able to play US or Jap games, but being able to play games from all regions would be a bonus! cheap = good, so buying 2nd hand is definately an option!

as far as i can see i have a few options :-

1. an imported US/Jap PS2 (no effort required, will only play it's designated regions games, is expensive)

2. a UK PS2 pre chipped (no effort required, will play all games, is expensive)

3. a UK PS2 and chip it myself (looks to be impossibly hard to install, but plays all games if it works, and is relatively cheap)

4. a UK PS2 and mod with flip-top lid and swapdisc or equivalent (seems pretty easy to install, should play all games? is relatively cheap, but is not a very elegant solution as you have to swap discs)

any further comments on each option pro's and con's, or on any options i've missed, which option is best, and where good/cheap places to buy things from (inc. 2nd hand) will all be most appreciated!

oh, and one further question are controllers/memory cards compatibale with all PS2s?

thanks in advance, bob

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I bought a new PAL PS2 and had it chipped (by www.londonconsole.com) with the Messiah 2 within a couple of days.

Haven't looked back since. A new PS2 will cost about £130 soon and chipping is £60. £190 is cheap considering the price of a PS2 not long ago.

There is no region locking on Controllers or Memory cards. My current offcial 8 meg card has UK/Jap and USA saves on it no probs.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The best solution is a console for each region but its pricey, so next best is a modded console. Do not even attempt to do this yourself modding a PS-2 is a nightmare job even for experts.

The fliptop thing is a great way to kill your PS-2 IMO.

check out www.londonconsole.com I got my modded PS-2 from those guys and they are in my experience very reliable.

Note, Sony have the ability to ban consoles in a similiar way that microsoft do with modded consoles and Live, they haven't done
    it yet, but the capability exists within DNAS - beware that this might be an issue with newer online games.

Regards,
    Neil.

4. fondie

fondie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for both your responses, 2 votes for londonconsole, i looked at their site and currently the cost of a premodded ps2 is 230+p&p, which is rather more than i was hoping! are there any cheaper alternatives? or any places i can buy 2nd hand chipped PS2s? or will i be forced to raid the piggy bank?

i study electrical engineering and installing the chip myself did indeed look an absolute nightmare! when is this price reduction to £130 for the console due please? thanks for the warning neil but i'm not worried really about online gaming on it.

thanks, bob

5. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Of the other sites you've listed I've only used premodded and baldbouncer - both have given good service. Be careful chosing your PS2 modder, a cheap mod from a non recommended chipper could cost you dear, as Neil says it is a complex mod chip to fit and requries an experienced fitter.

I got mine done by londonconsole, and I fully recommend them - it might be cheaper to buy your own PS2 and send it to them for chipping.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Whilst I second that chipping the PS2 is far from easy I have done quite a few and I'm only a home hobbyist (so to speak). So long as you are good with a soldering iron (small tip) and take your time it is doable.

However, saying all that I now refuse to do any more because they are such a potch. In my view £60 is cheap for chip and fitting. In fact, knowing what it takes to do it's an utter bargain (after all they are also taking the risk having to pay for any they mess up.

If you can't find second hand I would wait till next month (when the reductions are expected) and buy new pre-modded. Alternatively, get an XBox and do it yourself as they are an absolute doddle to chip :)

8. fondie

fondie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks everybody,

unfortunately i've no need for an xbox however easy they are to chip, i've got a hi-spec pc and a gamecube, but there are a couple of us/jap ps2 titles i'm after!

are there no disc swap methods on a UK ps2 that anyone would recommend? i wouldn't mind swapping discs if i could then pick up a UK ps2 off e-bay for £70, as i mentioned, i'm only wanting to play a couple of titles.

bob

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    there are a couple of methods to disk swap, but I really couldn't recommend them - they will reck your PS2 after awhile and I don't think all games work with it either.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    On this subject has anyone bought a console or console hardware from dvdboxoffice.com?

I notice they have started doing hardware and will ship it abroad, looking at a US PS2 and gamecube GBA player..... other than that how much are the import charges from tronixweb?

11. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've bought an Xbox and Steel Batallion from DVDBoxoffice. Only issue is they require you to wire xfer the funds and they use DHL shipping [which means you will get hit for tax]. Got my launch day Xbox from DVDBoxoffice. After you place the order - drop them an email to get the details about the wirexfer as sometimes they are a bit slow in tell you this info.

Regards,
    Neil.

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought my US PS-2 from ncsx www.ncsx.com who will mark it down btw, I paid no tax on it and it was shipped via UPS.

Neil.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Thanks for the info Neil, I will definately look at getting it from NCSX.

14. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry to resurect this thread, but how have you all gotten on with your quests for a US ps2?

My reason for asking this is because I'm also interested in getting a US ps2 (my pal ps2 is to old to chip appaerently :rolleyes: ).
    So either way I'm going to be buying a new ps2, what with the iminent release of ff-x2 and all ;)

15. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got my US PS-2 from www.ncsx.com make sure you get the latest version.

Neil.

16. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok, I'll check them out. I take it I'm gonna need a step down/up (I forget what way it goes :confused: ) transformer as well? If I go for the US option?

17. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    you'll need a step down transformer. Make sure it'll support whatever power rating the PS2 has.

My chipped Japanese PS2 has just gone funny on me. Its only playing Japanese games, and won't play imports anymore. Anyone know if I can get the chip repaired or looked at?

I could just buy a UK machine if necessary, but that still leaves the question of US games, which I have quite a few of..

18. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    what chip is it mate? If it's a messiah then worth making sure you havent accidentally turned it off (holding reset button too long). Happens a lot, worth looking at anyway. Just turn machine on and hold reset button until light goes blue to switch it back on I think.
    If it isn;t that..then just ignore me :)

20. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I think its a messiah, but no amount of switching is doing anything. I think its a long press to turn it off, but a normal reset to turn back on.

It used to play original imports, but not PSOne imports. I don't think the Neo did that, so must be a messiah.

Just checked and I only have one US game - rest are UK or Japanese. So I think I'll just get a UK machine.

Anyone want to buy a copy of US ZOE2? I was really looking forward to playing it, but now can't. Is it out in the UK?