1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 DVD vs XBOX vs Q vs Toshiba 210

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dan5, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested to know which is better as a DVD play

A PS2 DVD player using with RGB mod and RGB output.

XBOX DVD player

The panasonic Q (the Ninetendo game cube with a DVD player)

or a convential DVD player (say a Toshiba 210 so we don't get to distracted)

I keep wondering whether I should just go by a Tosh to use with my system or whether one of these console will be almost as good provide I use the righ leads and not the crappy composite signal.

Please bear in mind that I will be using these with an old CRT projector (Vidikron TGS-XP) on a 6" wide screen.

Currently I can run my N64 through it fine and my PC dvd player (Hollywood RealMagic Card) and they seem bearable but I'm sure I can do better.

So I welcome your views.

Dan

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the PS2 and The Toshiba.Although the performance from the PS2 is good,I dont think you can beat a dedicated dvd player.Especially using the best connections.

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have any PAL dvd's the Q is out. It will play NTSC dvd's only.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I'd opt for a dedicated player everythime, although the Xbox playback is great..

5. Gaz H

Gaz H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 210 before the PS2 and was interested to see the difference in quality between them. No question the 210 gives a much better picture. I've never bothered using the PS2 for DVD's after seeing the difference.

Gary

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    X-Box DVD playback is pretty good, I believe it's meant to be a great improvement over the PS2, not a patch on my Sony 7700 though.

7. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Neilalford,museumsteve.

Wondered if either of you guys had seen the pic quality on wharfdale 750 dvd player?

I havnt got enough room in rack to acommodate xbox plus wharfdale.

So would prefer to put wharfdale in bedroom and hook xbox to denon 3802, only do this if xbox is better pic quality.

Im saving for high end player at the mo (suppose i will have to purchase bigger rack in the end anyway)

CHEERS

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has a Wharfedale, I would say from memory (I've never done a side-by-side comparison) that the X-Box is fairly similar in quality to the Wharfedale. I found that the picture detail and colour etc was very good but that there was a lot of noise in black areas of the screen.