PS2 DVD -how do I get RGB?

N

nam

Is there a Scart lead that enables true RGB input when connecting PS2 to my TV?
I've read about the 'Ultimate Scart lead' but I wasn't convinced it enabled RGB for DVDs, only when playing games.
Does anyone know of a scart for PS2 to achieve best results, and would this also affect the sound?

Thanks.

The only way to get RGB playback on a PS2 while watching DVDs requires a disc called Region X which also allows you to watch any region DVDs.

This can be bought in most game stores and HMV as well as the etailers. You will also require and RGB scart cable. You insert the disc before playing a DVD and select the region and then insert your DVD and then hat presto RGB picture.

Hi,

Blaze do a TRUE RGB Scart lead which has a DVD switch for movies.

I bought mine from Macros about a year ago but i have seen them in HMV and Game stores.

I believe REGION X is just for playing multi-region Movies, i just use the REGION X to boot my backups!!

Also it was only about 12 quid and it has phono leads on the end so you can plus it into a Amp if you wish.

Goodluck

Dal :rolleyes:

I believe REGION X is just for playing multi-region Movies

That is what it is intended to do, however another feature is that it stops the green screen from happening on RGB playback on DVDs.

I am not certain but I don't think the Blaze cable does RGB playback on DVD's, its only for games. However I may not be right on that last point.

Thanks- so am I right in thinking that if I get a Blaze Ultimate Scart Lead and also a Region X disc I will get RGB through the PS2 DVD player, or would a 'normal' PS2 Scart lead be better with the Region X disc?

Just use a good RGB Cable for the PS2 and DVD Region X. You don't need the Blaze Scart lead since it converts the DVD image from RGB to composite to get rid of the green screen.

Better off using a dedicated DVD player IMO ^_^

I think that the best option is the official Sony Scart cable, is more expensive but much better than others (i.e. Blaze), at least for my PS I and my TV (LS35).

Saludos

Fernando,

With the Sony Scart cable and your LS35 TV, do you manage to get the PS2 to switch to the correct screen aspect ratio when playing a DVD?

Reason I ask is that I just got a PS2 for my son and with the SCART cable that came with it, our LS35 TV switches to wrong ratio when playing a DVD, e.g. widescreen DVDs keep switching the TV to Zoom instead of Wide.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Steve

Playstation2 goes into component video output mode when watching DVDs. Result: green screen when using an RGB cable.

DVD RegionX alters settings in the PS2 memory, so that it goes into RGB mode instead of component.

No cable is capable of doing this (unless it has a component to RGB transcoder inside=)). All the so called "DVD compatible" cables are outputting crappy composite when playing back DVD's.

It is also possible (at least it was, don't know about current revisions) to get RGB playback with movies by soldering a wire between two connections on the PS2 mainboard.

Regards.
Olaiho

Sorry Steve,

I meant PS1 not PS2. I think that it is impossible to play DVD with the sony scart cable (the heavy one, black not he AV to scart adaptator with the yellow, red and white sockets).

Normally the TV set fit the view mode to the input. Mostly to smart with 4/3 signal. So, is your PS2 configured for a WIdescreen TV? or it is for a 4/3 set??

Cheers and happy newyear

Fernando,

Happy New Year.

My PS2 is set up for widescreen mode (16:9) so as to match the 24LS35 TV set. How do you have yours set up?

Steve

The PS one doesn´t need configuration, only play 4/3 games.
:( but the tv set itself into smart mode
But I test a PS2 from a friend and setting it for a 16/9 set, my 28ls 35 (configured in autoformat mode) play the 4/3 games in smart mode (optimized in spanish) and in 16/9 the anamrphic games and films.

Regards and Happy new year too.

Bit late to this thread but the Blaze scart cable with the switch is a bit cheap and nasty. RGB suffer from colour bleeding. I just bought a MadCatz RGB from Dixons (shudder) for £9.99. It have the switch as well but the colours are much stronger, blacks are black and mininal intererence. The best cable I have was £4.99 from EB, RGB, no switch...absolutely perfect RGB :) I'm sure the Sony RGB cable is good as well.

A standard PS2 will NOT display DVDs in RGB. When using an RGB SCART cable & socket, DVDs will be displayed in all green.

Whilst you may be using an RGB enabled SCART lead, the socket on the TV may not be or it's set to composite mode.

Dunedin397

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom