1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by emad, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new to the world of game consoles, so I've just picked up a silver PS2 from Argos yesterday ( with a DVD remote and half price game) for £175 - Then I visited this forum and thought I might have made the wrong decision.

I like the look of the PS2 in silver as it matched my other AV gear, I also like the fact that my brother in law has a PS2 so we can share games.

Now my question is, did I make the wrong decision? Should I have bought an XboX instead.

I will be using my game console with a Pioneer Plasma screen and I am more interested in

Ease of use
    choice of games
    quality of graphics

Shall I keep my good looking PS2 or exchange it for an xbox.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Emad

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    Ease of use - they're all much of a muchness really.

Choice of games - PS2 wins

Quality of graphics - XBox IMHO, but Gamecube has some fantastic looking titles too (Rogue Leader for instance).

I'm not sure on the options with PS2/Gamecube, but there are various connection options to make the most of your Plasma with an XBox.

3. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS2 all the way, Xbox may be more powefull but you will get GTA4, Gran Turismo, F1, WRC and Pro Evo Soccer! all exclusive or in the case of GTA4, miles ahead of Xbox release, 6months to a year!!

What has Xbox got xclusivly? Project Gotham, good but not that good! Halo 2, i prefered Red Faction 2, which is probably the best Multiplayer FPS.

Don't get me wrong, i have all three latest gen consoles, if i only could afford one i'd go or recomend the Sony each and every time!

:lesson:

4. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    please do not turn this into a 'this is better than that' thread. Which ever console you buy you will always miss out on certain games or have to wait for ports to happen. Enjoy what you have is what i say or buy another and have two consoles. :D

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    they are all good to be honest. what attracted me to the xbox was the sheer amount of things you can do with it after you get it chiped - hi res, multi region DVD, constant 5.1 ouput, play roms, act as a HTPC, stream dvd's/music/Photo's over lan ect ect. You name it - it pretty much does it all.

The ps2 has the largest selectipn of games by far, so if thats your thing then it was the right choice. The xbox has the best selection of stunning games, and there are a lot more exclusives than fanboys seem to think. Xbox always gets the best versions of the multi platform games aswell.

Regardless, i dont think youve made a bad choice at all, just remember it cost me less that that to buy my xbox And modchip and for everything it can do, it was well worth it.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,715
    yes you did

Andy

7. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZAndy

Yes I did do the wrong decision? or the right one?

gentlemen, thank from all your kind replies.

From the above I conclude that PS2 has the best selection of games and as it looks nice in its silver dressing as well as being able to share games with my brother in law wins it over for me.

Moreover, I will never use my game console (PS2 or otherwise) for DVD playback, or music or any other use but games.

I can still return it and exchange it for an xbox , if any of you had or still have both and could confirm that the quality of the xbox graphics are THAT much better than PS2.

Also, is the XboX much bigger than the PS2.

Emad

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,715
    The x-box is by far the better value for money in my opinion, it has a hard drive so no memory card needed, it's got 4 controller ports, the graphics are THAT much better than the PS2 (look at PGR2!). And then there's x-box live which is worth the price of an x-box alone, it's a fantastic experience. If you ask me anyone that buys a PS2 when the x-box is cheaper must not be of sane mind.. just my opinion mind you I've had both consoles so I am talking from experience (currently got the x-box unsuprisingly!)

Andy

9. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have both and the PS2 is collecting dust while I find there are too many great games coming for the Xbox to keep up. For the PS2, all I'm looking forward to is GT4 and I suspect that will be a dissapointment as I can't really see why GT3 gets so much hype.

Just my personal opinion but if I had to only have one, there is no contest, the Xbox is it.

10. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to agree i have all 3 and the xbox wins hands down
    but if you do get xbox give live ago it is great:smashin:

11. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    derekrcross

Finally someone with the 3 consoles.

Do you mind answering a couple of questions.

1- IS the Xbox much bigger than the PS2?
    2- Which is easire to use? ie. interface, connection and controller

Thanks

Emad

12. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Emad, although you didn't ask me i'll butt in anyway :D

1. The XBox is about the same size as a PS2 length and depth wise, but is about twice as tall.

2. If you've never used any before they'll both be an arse to get used to (the pads). If however you've had a PS1 or dreamcast, the PS2 or XBox pad will be very easy to get used to (as they are more or less the same pads, exactly the same in the PS1/PS2s case.)

The interface on both are very simple and easy, but the Xbox just about takes the point.

Connection???

If your on about connecting to your display, then the XBox can connect by RF,composite,s-video,RGB and component, and the PS2 does the same. However if you chip your XBox you can display software with Prog scan, and quite a few at 720p, and a few at 1080i, and all games on XBox are 5.1, which the PS2 cannot do

p.s After playing a bit of LIVE at a mates house it is the best online experiance ever

Rich

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Whatever floats your boat mate.

Both consoles have great games.

What swayed the xbox for me, besides prefering the games was the (almost) flawless online gaming vs ps2 (almost) non-existant online play and much better graphics, but the loading times on xbox are minimal but ps2 loading times remind me of those tape consoles in the 80's when you are waiting and waiting and waiting.

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You have got to be kidding me? :laugh:
    Oh and as for ps2 having PES it will be on xbox soon :clap:

Come on you sony fan boys come & have ago :rotfl: (only messin )
    I also have all 3 but xbox is the best IMHO.

15. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK from what I read here - and I am new to console gaming - It seems XboX is much favored.

It - according to you gentemen
    1-has better graphics
    2-has a HD so fast loading times without the need of memory cards
    3- has better connectivity
    4- even though it has a small selection of games than PS2, to me it is not much of a big deal as I am a starter and therefore will have a lot of games to go through, by which time more will be released.
    5-its online gaming is far superior to PS2

The only disadvantage I can see is its bulkiness and ugly black color, but I can live with that, in return for the all the above.

Well, I am off to Argos this afternoon to exchange PS2 for Xbox.

One final question please.
    I noticed a lot of people talking about premodded Xbox or modefying Xbox with a new chipset, can someone please let me know what is this? what are the advantages & cost of doing such a thing?

Many thanks

Emad

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    A modded XBox can play "backup" games, or games directly from the HD.

You can play multi region DVDs.

You can play emulators such as Mame, N64, PS1, etc.

You can do all sorts of other HTPC stuff such as outputting Hi Def, or using the Xbox as a music server, photos, etc.

See www.premodded.co.uk for more info, plus they seem to be a reputable supplier.

Oh and BTW I've also had all three consoles. I gave my Gamecube to my mum, and only ever use the PS2 with the Eyetoy (fantastic if you have young kids).

Although the XBox might not have the same volume of games as the PS2, the quality IMHO is better. The multi-format games are usually best on the XBox, plus there are some fantastic exclusive titles like Project Gotham Racing 2, Top Spin, etc.

XBox wins hands down for me. :smashin:

17. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Now you have made the right choice :smashin:

Get a Gamecube as well then you will be sorted :laugh:

18. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got PS2 for xmas, wish I could take it back :(. Your making the right decision

19. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered from Amazon: :clap:

"Xbox Console with Halo & Midtown Madness 3"

Xbox Official DVD Movie Playback Controller"

"Xbox Official Controller S"

For £172 inc. free delivery :rotfl:

I will return the PS2 to Argos this afternoon :clap:

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't be disappointed.

21. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i think you made the right decision - enjoy :smashin:

22. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The tide is turning. The thing is, I always thought MS were silly to let Sony release their console first but if you think about it, in 12 months, technology advances so much that you can build a better machine for the same money. So, the Xbox console will always be better than the Playstation console, no matter which generation.

We are all subconciously expecting the PS3 and Nextbox to be pretty equal, but will they? WHen the PS3 is launched at £300 or whatever, you will be able to buy an Xbox for £120 and it won't be that far behind. Then, a year later MS release a better machine than the PS3 for the same money.

Shrewd, I reckon.

23. i_like_it_cube

i_like_it_cube
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good decision on getting an Xbox. Me and my Dad both had our own PS2s and were sick of em so he got the jolly powerful Xbox and I got the jolly bestconsoleintheworldwiththebestgamesandgraphics Gamecube!

24. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's a long word. Like wheelbarrow.

25. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Emad, when you get LIVE, add a load of us to your friends list, load up PGR2 or Links and we'll see you there. It doesn't get much better than that y'know!!:smashin:

26. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Couldn't wait, so poped into woolworths and found the same deal as Amazon, so I purchsed it and canceled Amazon, WOOOOOOho

Now I have the xbox and 2 nice games to get me started. I will set it all up tomorrow - Friday - and let you know what I thinkl

Any suggestions of more games - I have Halo and MM3

I like racing, strategy and role playing.

Regards

Emad

27. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thank heavens we have some honesty here.

The poor bloke who started the thread was looking for an honest opinion, not everyone making him feel better about his choice of purchase.

The Xbox is miles and miles ahead of the Sony in every respect, other than number of games. But lets face it, unless you are unemployed, you will only ever get through around 1 a month (if you play properly and complete them).

What really counts is that the Sony and Xbox have a reasonably similar number of fantastic games, the Sony has a huge number of cruddy ones too. (and yes I am not biased, most of the Xbox games are pants too.)

Xbox is faster, has a hard disk, has better graphics, will last longer before redundancy, has awesome online performance through integrated support for broadband networking, can be used as a jukebox and can be easily modified to add large amounts of additional functionality.

You made the right choice to change, but all you PS2'ers, don't be disheartened by your choice, because it still fulfils the same basic function - gameplay. But please don't anyone argue that its a better machine, because you are factually, logically, honestly and totally incorrect.

Thanks.

28. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,715
    amen... if only the masses would get the message though. It pains me to see people in Game buying a PS2, I just have to wonder why on earth they aren't buying the x-box.
    Anyway , you'll love Halo, what are you hooking it up to by the way, with the X-box you owe it to yourself to use the dolby digital if at all possible, Halo in DD is fantastic! Anyway, you definitely made a wise decision getting the x-box instead, enjoy!

Andy

29. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest Final Fantasy I through to X, X-2, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Breath of Fire 4 and 5. Then there's GT4. Oh, you have an XBox?

You could try PGR2 & Morrowind?

30. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well by looking at this thread, i think ive made the right move too then. just got myself an xbox when my heart was on a ps2 and i was on a spontaneous buy and went for xbox. plugged it in and was quite surprised as to how good it looked. before then i would have been a 'sony boy' but im cured

:smashin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.