1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 component lead problems.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by JIT, Jun 22, 2002.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just bought a component lead to connect up my PS2 to my Toshiba TV but when i turn on the PS2 the screen remains blue even although there is sound. With games it starts like this but then the picture appears when the loading is complete and the game is fine but with DVDs there is only sound and no picture. Any suggestions anyone?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I assume that you changed the setting in the PS2 video options menu from PAL to Component?

My PS2 was connected to my Toshiba TV a while ago via component and it worked fine with games. Never checked it with DVDs as I have a DVD player and always thought the PS2 image quality was a bit dodgy.

I thought there were problems sending images to the TV with DVDs using anything other than a composite connection. Could be wrong, but I'm sure someone here will know the score.

Cheers,
    JonathanN

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, i've changed the PS2's output to component. I also have a DVD player which has component out and this has been working fine connected to my TV via component leads. Could it be something to do with the DVDs being NTSC?

4. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two different options for the component lead, RGB and YPbPr - It took me ages to sort this out (well... someone on here told me) and once changed from the default RGB, it worked fine.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Unless your PS2 is modified I don't think it will play NTSC (I'm assuming Region1 discs here) anyway. I thought that you normally got a 'wrong region message' or something in this case, so the fact you are at least getting sound points to a connection or video setting.

Your TV is almost certainly NTSC compliant so I'm stumped as to the problem. The only other thing I can think of - If you Tosh is similar to mine - is that it's also worth checking in the TV setup that the video input set to 'auto' instead of 'PAL' or SECAM. It will then detect NTSC signals automatically.

Good luck.

JonathanN

6. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember that DVD,s only output composite from the PS2, only games will use either RGB, S-Video or Component. You can get tweaks but as the quality of PS2 is inferior to stand alone players its probably not worth it IMHO.

Matt..........

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    do you get to see the setup screen ?????

or do you only get an image once the game has booted ??

I have a messiah in my ps2 and i dont even see the setup screen when using component, never tried a dvd in it.

is yours modded ??

I thought it may be something to do with the mod chips , so would be interested to hear if yours has been chipped and if so what chip.

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Film DVDs will only be displayed with an interlaced image on a PS2 so RGB would be the best for that. As for videogames it should work with the component cable without any problems, regardless of what mod chip you have... Unless of course you had to cut a track on the mobo to disable the BIOS... I fitted a Messiah chip myself and I still get the BIOS screen with no problems.

I would suggest looking back in the options to make sure that you have selected the right video output for your cable (YPbPr) and have enabled "auto" on your Tosh TV to detect the colour scheme used. If you don't have the auto option then force an NTSC colour scheme if you're playing an import, and PAL for european games.

You shouldn't have to do this though as most TVs automatically detect such details as colour and refresh rates without fuss... To help us all out you should give us your Toshiba TV's model number so we know its features.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Mine does it any component input, the messiah isnt a bios replacement like the neo mods , so i guess that counts that one out.

I have tried it on a dlp projector , a barco crt and going into a scaler, so i think the prolem is the ps2.

doesnt bother me at all as I dont need to see the setup screen, but others have reported it too.

the component out is interlaced unless the progressive option is coded into the game, and then you have to choose to output progressive.

I was just interesed o hear whether JIT's machine was modded.

10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes my machine has a NEO4 modchip fitted so this must be causing me component problems. I guess i'll just have to go back to using Scart a this was fine without any problems, thanks for everyone's help.