PS2 compatibility list... Some surprises!

winstano

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Mmkay... I'm keeping my PS2 for a while longer (Until they bring out Pro Evo 7 and release some form of guitar hero anyways...), but I just ventured onto the PS3 compatibility page and was a little shocked at what I saw on there...

A brief rundown...

Games that will work with "no known issues" of mine:

Buzz! The big quiz, eyetoy: Play, LEGO Star Wars, GTA: Vice City, ESPN International Track & Field

Games with "some minor issues"

SOCOM, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter

Games with "Some noticeable issues"

The Godfather, MGS3, Pro Evo 4, Pro Evo 6, WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It (So sue me, I was a big wrestling fan as a young teen :p), and GTA: San Andreas

Games that aren't even on the list

MGS2, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Guitar Hero 2, SSX3

Is it not me that finds this simply shocking? Surely there can't be *THAT* much of a compatibility issue?! The worst thing in my eyes is that GTA Vice City will run perfectly fine, but put the more recent version in and bam! Doesn't work... Yet more recent titles in general work fine (by and large)... I mean, it says FFXII has some 'noticeable issues', and this is the most recent 'huge' game, yet my (PS2) launch day copy of Track and Field runs smoothly...

There must have been some sort of standard to writing PS2 games... I'm just amazed that of the 17 games I have, only 5 will run with 'no issues'...

I'm glad I didn't sell my PS2 to fund my PS3, that's all I'm saying! I couldn't live without Pro Evo!!

I hadn't had a console since the original PS and I loved Gran Turismo on that so I bought a second hand copy of GT4 to play on my PS3 as it will be a while before the PS3 version is released.

We now know that it is not compatible, which to me is probably the biggest shock of all. For one of the PS2's flagship games not to work really surprised me

The list is so so....
I'm playing FFX on my PS3 atm and it works fine. Its only been given one square on the list but aside from the FMV's looking a little pants the game is playable.

I've heard rumours that some games that aren't even on the list work fine.

There must have been some sort of standard to writing PS2 games... I'm just amazed that of the 17 games I have, only 5 will run with 'no issues'...
There was. The trouble is, if you give a coder a standard, he'll find a way to bypass it and increase performance. There are always plenty of non-standard ways of doing things that work better on the target machine but make emulation a nightmare.

I was miffed that not a single 1 of my PS2 games is listed...but the old PS2 is 100% compatible so I'll keep that should I want to play any of the old favs.

Think the compatability is shocking myself (at the moment of course).

C'mon, no Ratchet And Clank !

Hopefully future firmware updates will add to the compatability list and address some of the issues

has anyone tried PS1 Final Fantasy 7 on a PAL PS3?

im just gonna stick mine behind my TV, stealth style, so if i ever need it, its there!

It's worth pointing out, Sony's standards are quite high.

I played a 1* game (lowest rating possible on the supported titles), Crazy Taxi, and it was acceptable, there was flickering on the score, but nothing too bad. 2* titles I couldn't find any issues with (hidden somwhere i'm sure), and 3* titles are perfect.

I have only 2 titles (biggies admitably), SSX3 and GT4 that won't play, but I would imagine Sony are working on getting the higher profiles titles working before they launch the new software BC model in the US later this summer.

I would imagine things BC-wise will be a whole lot better after the next sofware update, then things will slow down, perhaps a few titles being added here and there....

has anyone tried PS1 Final Fantasy 7 on a PAL PS3?

Yes, it works, possibly with minor or major issues but it definately loads up and plays through atleast the first 30 mins fine as far as I know..

FF7 works fine but the characters look like they're made from lego (weird texture bug?), one thing I'll mention about backwards compatibility is that alot of developers optimise their own library and use non Sony standard methods of developing for the PS2, this means they can normally squeeze more power out of the PS2 but it also means that when the PS3 is trying to emulate the PS2 is gets weird results when its expecting one thing but gets another, hence some games not working.

Why dont you lot just buy a PS2 as well as your PS3? At £50 ish its almost the price of a game and you wont have backwards compatibility issues.

Hell I have 3 PS2's, 3 Xboxes, 3 GC's and 2 PS1's just to make sure I can play my 1000+ games in the future in the event they eventually stop making the consoles. They cost peanuts relative to a PS3.

It's gonna be hard to get a PS2, PS1 (I still play those) and PS3 under the same TV along with the xbox, skyhd, tivo, etc. - it's a lot better to get the playstation stuff in one box.. after all that's one of the major selling points of the brand.

It's gonna be hard to get a PS2, PS1 (I still play those) and PS3 under the same TV along with the xbox, skyhd, tivo, etc. - it's a lot better to get the playstation stuff in one box.. after all that's one of the major selling points of the brand.

Why would you need a PS1 as well. The PS2 plays PS1 games just fine.

Does Ace Combat 4,5 and Zero work ?

I'm gutted San Andreas don't work - well, it does but it's not playable if you know what i mean! There's no way my missus is gonna let me have the two consoles by the tv so looks like i'll have to go cold turkey and wait for GTA4 in Oct :(

GT4's the big one for me... especialy since there iusnt a full GT game on the PS3 yet... Cant beleive GT4 doesnt work

Gran Turismo 4 and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance now work after the 1.7 firmware upgrade according to what I have read.

Can anyone test the PAL version of Everybody's Golf and report back. It was unplayable before so if it works fine (no delay on pressing X etc in the swing) I will pick it up again

Gran Turismo 4 and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance now work after the 1.7 firmware upgrade according to what I have read.

Where did you read that? Any links?

People are going to have to test some PS2 titles after this update to check if any compatibility has been improved.

Haven't sony uploaded the update details to their site yet?

Yeah 1.7 has added extra games to the compatibility list they have not stated which games though yet I do not think. I tried Devil may cry 3 special edition and that now works with 1.7.

Does anyone know if Guitar hero I and II have been added, Logic 3 have a adapter i emailed them they say it should work with the controller as the adapter has a PS button function which is what the GH controller lacked so you could use it., you can get the adapter from gameplay for £8, if Sony have added support i would get this adapter in a heart beat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom