1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Chewing up my CD's

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by PhilipVass, Apr 15, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Play's disc one of a double CD album but it will not play a CD2, it will play singles and PS2 games, DVD's absolutely fine, when i put a CD2 in it will make a chugging noise and some up CD read error and seriously scratches the surface of the CD, bout to be a CD lens problem? - i have tried a CD cleaner but no luck, sadly it's around 18 months old so the guarantee with Currys is up - any ideas? :confused:

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Basically if that's the only disc that you are having problems with then the problem is with your CD not the PS2. A CD/DVD player doesn't chew up discs as no physical contact is made by the player to the surface of the disc whilst playing the disc. The laser will not damage the discs. The only thing that could damage your discs is if there is some foreign object inside the player that is scratching the discs through making contact with them while they spin. As you say all other discs work fine then this is not the case.

Your disc has been scratched elsewhere, I would suggest and therefore will not play. The machine will make a "chugging" noise when it can't read a disc.

From what you say in your post this seems to be what has happened and if so it is obviously good news as a CD is much cheaper to replace (you may even be able to repair the disc with a scratch remover) than a PS2.

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply.

It is acutely a number of discs, the reason i was worried is because they have played fine before and i made sure i picked a CD i had only played once or twice so it's not the CD i do not think.

The noise was like a buzz, then it chugged once of twice before coming up 'Disc read error' it will play single CD's, DVD's, PS2 Games but not any disc two's, sounds very strange but i have tried a good number of them.

Basically i have only been using the the Playstation 2 as a substitute for the Hi-fi which recently packed in, well i damaged the lens while cleaning and then later broke the catch so i shall be purchasing a new CD player hopefully soon.

Meanwhile i either have to play the CD's on the PC, or on the PS2 sadly.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Well if the PS2 is actually scratching the discs then I can only assume that there is some foreign body inside that is doing the damage.

You say it plays DVD's and games ok though so it seems odd that it decides to scratch certain CD's and not other CD's or DVD's. The fact that it dislikes disc 2's is even stranger!. I have had it fail to boot an import game before but that was resolved after a reboot.

If it is not damaging the discs then it could be a laser problem or the player may just not like some CD's.

5. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't under stand why, as like i said, previously i have had no problem atall. The CD's are not import's or copy's, genuine UK goods some of the CD's i have hardly used.

I don't understand what inside the machine could be causing it damage, like i said above...it's just a normal black Playstation 2 i purchased from my local Currys store 18 months back, not like it's a cheap Japanese import.

I am tempted to shove it in the local ad-paper and get an X-Box console instead.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember a friend of mine mentioning a problem with PS2's scratching up CDs if the PS2 was positioned on its side.

Course, that might just be an urban legend or it might relate to a small batch of dodgy units. Still, it might be worth trying your PS2 flat if you use it on its side.

7. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have had it 18 months and it's been fine, never been on it's side before...just sit's flat on the CD stand under the TV.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Hi Philip,

I wasn't suggesting you were using import games or an import PS2, just that the only time mine has had trouble was reading a jap game (my ps2 is modded) but this was resolved after a reboot.

With regards to the foreign body I was relating to if something had found it's way in to the machine in error. This could be anything from a piece of grit to a paper clip etc.

For the problem to suddenly appear I can only assume that this is the problem.

9. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain what you mean by a 'foreign body' i have been told Sony offer a free 'reconditioned' replacement, if the guarantee has ran out.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730

11. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their is no way any object could have entered the machine as it perched under a TV cabinet.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    well if it's not that then i'm stummped i'm afraid - unless it's part of the PS2 that has broken away inside somehow?

13. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really don't understand what has gone wrong, perhaps i should give Sony Customer Services a ring?

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    AFAIK a repair for a PS2 out of guarantee is £102, but i don't even think they fix it, they send a courier with a new/reconditioned one. But if they offer you it for free, bonza!.

15. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Try 'repairing' the disc with brasso metal polish. If there are fine scratches it will let you play a disc fine. However the ps2 is very sensitive to scratches, and on a number of my cds that are scratched (some quite heavily) the ps2 gets caught in a loop. even though the cds can play fine on regular cd players albeit with prehaps slight skipping.