1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 as dedicated dvd player tp hs1?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Apr 8, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi folks -

I'm facing a bit of a dilema - i currently have a ps2 for games and a dedicated dvd player feeding my sony hs1 for movies. The dvd player is a sony ns900 outputting component to the pj. Trouble is i need to have a dvd player in the living room for casual viewing for the rest of the familly so the ns900 may have to go back to the familly telly :( - i want to keep the ps2 for games

I have on the way a component lead for the ps2 so i guess the question i have is - will the dvd quality of the ps2 outputting component to the projector be anywhere as good as the dedicated dvd player or am i going to be dissapointed with it?

I'll know by the end of the week what the outcome is but any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Mick

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's poo.:D

3. scallywag

scallywag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll have to agree

The Playstation DVD player is poo!!!

Using it as a dedicated dvd player can't be a good thing

Sorry

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm going against general opinion here and I know that if kramer and Ritz read this post I'll get a severe slagging and they mightn't even talk to me any more :D.........but I used a PS2 via S-Video for a few months for the same reasons as you and did a direct comparison with a 1:1 pixel perfect mapped PC via vga and.........TBH I couln't see much of a difference. I'm using a Sony NV300 I got free now and I hope to purchase something like a Panasonic HS2 DVD/Hdd recorder in the near to medium term but I can honestly say that if this new player does Pal Prog etc, then great, if it doesn't I wont be overly worried about PQ seeing as I couldn't see much of a differance between the (supposably sp?) worst dvd source(PS2) and the best dvd source(PC)

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Calibos,

No slagging from this quarter (about the PS2 at least, now that pet sheep you insist on keeping is a different matter...........). I used my PS2 thru the PJ for a couple of months too and it did fine, now using it for gaming on TV, and it's regularly used to play dvds and it's fine. ~(PS2 thru the PJ is absolutely brill too )

Wouldn't use it long-term, though particularly for projector - less noise from regular player, or seriously improved picture from hcpc is more my line.

Is it poo ???? No.

Sean G.

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's poo :D

You guys in the none poo camp, are you using the updated software that comes with the remote?

I'm not and it's definately horrible, there's a horrible digital dither on the image like it hasn't got enough colours to do the job properly. Looks very much like Quake in 16-bit colour if you've ever seen that ;)

PS2 games are fine :)

-- Jon

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Now that you mention it Gothmog, I was using the sony remote. Didn't know there was updated Dvd software on it. Even with a remote the PS2 isn't an ideal solution from the fan noise point of view. The fan was louder than the PJ's!! Still I reckon its a perfectly acceptable stop-gap solution for a few months until Mick decides he cant live without the new superduper BluRay recorder etc etc!!:D

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Goth,

Weird colours ??? Dithering ???? Nope............

Sean G.

9. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bizarre :D

Sounds like a case of try it and see :)

-- Jon

10. phlashman

phlashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get an xbox. The dvd player is much better

11. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went from a Wharfedale 750 > PS2 (lent the 750 to the folks - thought I wouldn't need it) > Wharfedale 750 (realised I would! :laugh: > Toshiba 220 (750 packed in so bought this to replace it :clap: )

Anyway...tbh the PS2 did have a good picture quality for 90% of the films I watched (R1 and R2). But it has problems with layer changes IMO and stutters for maybe 2 seconds with some discs. Its terrible with animation for some reason - The Simpsons was unwatchable due to the horrid jagged lines and poor colour. And the fan was WAY too noisy :rolleyes:

It is a good DVD player though but doesn't come close to a dedicated machine. If you're hooking it up to a PJ then I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

I noticed those problems on my humble 28" TV btw - on a 6' wide image they would be much worse IMO :eek:

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Thanks for the advice folks - just dawned on me that my ps2 won't play multiregion dvd's so there's now even less of a chance of me using it as a dedicated dvd player for the pj (unless someone knows a very cheap way of hacking it - apart from region x etc). What i might do is use one of these

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=32&sku=223

to send the feed from the ns900 to the telly in the living room. Anyone have any experience using one of these gizmos and are they any good? Whats the quality like i wonder?

Cheers,
    Mick