• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ps2 and broadband

jayr6666

hello there,
My first time onthis forum.i'm getting a network adaptor for ps2 tomorrow and i've got tiscali [2meg speed ,no download limit]broadband with asagem [email protected] modem.any advice on connection to modem as it has phone line in and usb out?do i need to go through the filter?do i need to go through the modem?Excuse the stupid questions but im a complete novice when it comes to ps2 online.all help gratefully recieved.cheers.jay.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I'm not the best person to advise on the tech stuff but I used to have the same ISP with 2gig, and the Sagem modem you mention.

If you're wanting to connect the PS2 directly to a modem(ie. cut out the need of having a crossover cable connecting the PS2 to your pc & needing your pc to be connected up), you'll need to get yourself a better gateway/modem, one with ethernet sockets in.

The setup I used was a Linksys WAG54G(think this model has now been updated), I had the PS2 & the Xbox360 connected directly into the ethernet sockets in the back. For the PC(or in my case, laptops), I used the wireless connection. Personally I found this a cheap and stable solution and it saved me having to buy a wireless modem and a gaming adaptor for the consoles.

Of course the cheapest option is to use a crossover cable to share the net connection with the PC, so long as you don't mind having the cables lying around.

Hope that's of at least some help, I'm sure someone will come along and advise you better;)

BTW, be prepared as the PS2 is a tempremental little bugger to get connected for the first time. Took me about 4 hours of buggering around to get the PS2 up & running online, as opposed to about 10 mins for the Xbox:rolleyes:

PS: If you fancy a blast of Burnout Revenge when you get sorted, I should be getting my PS2 delivered soon so I'll be trying to get online with that one, I haven't played it yet so I'll be rubbish. My Sony Gamerhandle is Tetlee

jayr6666

cheers for that,tetlee,you've sav'ed me a lot of net searching.I'll probably go that route as its the least bother.asfor burnout,moto-gp4 is more my style but ill get copy of burnout to thank you for the help.cheers.jay

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
jayr6666 said:
cheers for that,tetlee,you've sav'ed me a lot of net searching.I'll probably go that route as its the least bother.asfor burnout,moto-gp4 is more my style but ill get copy of burnout to thank you for the help.cheers.jay

You're welcome mate:smashin:

I haven't tried Burnout Revenge yet as i bought it just before my move, I did used to have Burnout 3 on Xbox, was great fun(although as usual, I wasn't very good at it:rolleyes: ). I'm not even sure if it'll allow me to play UK players from here with my PAL Burnout Revenge, but from what I've read, it sounds like it should.

If you decide to give BR a go, you can pick it up in Argos for a tenner so at least it isn't much of a gamble:)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5678365.htm

Cheers,

Lee.

mickus66

jayr6666 said:

MotoGP for PAL regions has no online - only LAN. I bought a copy and found out the hard way....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom