1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 and 550SD connectivity help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by duckson, Mar 15, 2005.

1. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi chaps/chapesses,

Just got a slim PS2 with GT4 bundle (£99.99 from Boots with a 'special voucher'... ;) ) and notice it only comes with a composite cable.

So...need a bit of help with the following:-

Does it really matter which RGB scart cable (my TV only has Scart, no component) or optical cable to go for?

Is eBay the best/cheapest place to buy from for the above?

How should i connect the PS2 up? just an RGB scart to the TV and optical cable to the 550SD amp? or can i have it through the amp for auto switching when the PS2 is powered up?

:confused: :suicide:

2. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    go through the amp, and use s-video.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well RGB gives you a better picture than s-video so I would opt for this format. I have just paid the minimum for scart cables for the PS2 and have extremely good pictures. Some RGB leads have phono cables attached to them also for connection to an amp. However, connecting via an optical cable will give better sound though. Again I have not paid much out for an optical cable.

4. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting thread, something I was going to ask myself!
    I have the Denon 500sd and tried to connect the PS2 to it.
    I had connected the PS2 to 500sd via stereo and composite cables, and from 500sd to TV via s-video.
    Note that the 500sd did not have any s-video inputs available... not sure if 550sd would have any.

Anyway, when I turned the 500sd to Video1 mode, i could hear the PS2 game sound, but no picture. Denon HK tech support said that it could not display a composite image into s-video output, so I had to use the (included) composite cable to connect from the Denon's "Monitor Out" output to the TV's AV input. Thus I could now have pro-logic surround sound from GT4, but crap visual quality from the composite cable.

Inspired by Wicket's post, I will shortly get an optical cable to connect the PS2's optical out to the Denon's Optical In. And just use my PS2's s-video cable to connect directly to the TV. (My TV doesn't have scart input - its that old!) I'll let you know how it goes once its done.

5. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duckson,
    I've done it! Bought a digital optical cable, plugged it into the PS2's Optical Out, and inserting the other end to the Denon's Optical In (Video 2). I also have the PS2 s-video cable going directly into one of the TV's s-video inputs.

Now, when I set the TV to the correct AV channel, and the Denon to "Video 2", I get pretty good surround sound on GT4! Hurrah! :clap: