PS Vita Slim gets UK Release Date

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by hodg100, Jan 30, 2014.

Tags:

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
    2. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +230
      180 lol

No thanks. Might be thinner but costs more and doesn't have an OLED screen.

3. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
    4. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      Will be interesting to see what the actual retail price is.

5. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,454
      As I said on the other thread.

Current Vita RRP = £199, typically sells as low as £140 with bundles at £160-170

New Vita RRP = £20 LESS, hopefully that means solus as low as 120 and bundles at £140-150

So many games coming over the next 12 months, this price plus a decent marketing campaign could do wonders for it.

6. Istanbul_Kop

Istanbul_Kop
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
      Having seen both in the flesh this is what I think:

- The slim is slimmer and lighter (duh!).
      - It isn't necessarily easier to hold. I see hand cramp being more of a problem.
      - The screen is inferior. Noticeably so. Washed out in some games I'd say.
      - It felt a bit cheaper, not massively so, but in the same way the first PSP Slim did to the original.
      - Buttons felt the same apart from start and select which are improved.

For someone like me who doesn't really take my Vita out and about, I'd rather have a more substantial product with a much better screen. I think Nintendo know people like me exist and cater to me with the likes of the larger 3DS XL for example. Slimmer and lighter isn't always better. Though the onboard memory and increased battery life in the Vita Slim is welcome.

What Sony should be concentrating on in my opinion is not a slimmer version of the Vita, but a PS4 centric version of the Vita with clickable stick and 4 shoulder buttons. Now that is something worth 'upgrading' too!

7. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +543
      Bit disapointed to be honest. Got one last wek but not opened yet as waiting to hear about today.

OK, so we get the later version for about the same price as the current one (I dont think you can look at RRP either ZT, if they say it's going to cost around £180 it almost certainly will when it hits next week. It will come down over time but can't see it yet but might be wrong).

New one thinner (dont care) lighter (that's a plus) better battery (the biggest issue) but worse screen.

Overall there is just not more going for it.

Was hoping they could do something with the luanch to really get things going but jsut can't see it really. There will be some picking it up for remote play now (as I have just done) but can't see anything about today bringing many more sales over and above the old model. I will not be bothering to go for the new one now and will just keep what I have.

I think if it could have got a lot closer to that £120 direct fx translation that was mentioned I think they would be shifting a lot more units which I think at the moment is the number 1 priority for it. Sales will be up due to remote play but think it's a missed oportunity to re-launch on its own feet and create some buzz. As it is It's a bit.......... "so we get a couple of differnt colours"

8. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      Is it just me that thinks the old vita is small enough anyway? I don't find it particular comfortable to play for any length of time and hacking it down to be smaller really won't help that. I was really hoping the vita TV would make an appearance this morning as well

9. paul1979

paul1979

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,291
      Ye I agree. It's not like the oled screen vita is causing me a bad back. I would like some on board memory and in truth more colours and a better battery but not at the cost to the screen. That said I did let go of my crt tv for a thinner tv with poorer colours so anything is possible lol

10. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +230
      Rrp means nothing. Its £50 more now. 129.99 for normal and 179.86 for the new one.

11. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,454
      Which is exactly my point.

Current model retails at well under £199, new model will retail at well under £180.

12. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      Shrinking things is what Sony have always done on pretty much every product they’ve ever made. On a portable console it makes sense – the Vita is on the border of portability as it is, so reducing the size and weight is a good move IMHO. Putting a bigger screen on there when they’ve just released the Vita TV would be a strange thing to do.

If they started adding new controls to it, it would instantly make all previous Vitas sold redundant – and we would end up with a market fracture between games that support the extra controls and those that don’t. Never going to happen.

I have one of the new Vitas (currently for sale in the classifieds) and was surprised how nice it was in the flesh. The screen is noticeably not as vibrant, but with the rubberised back and rounded edges and being lighter, it is nicer to hold. You can also charge it with a mini USB. The battery life is also apparently even better than Sony are stating.

13. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      It's not a matter of supporting extra controls as they would essentially be the same buttons just in different spots.

Instead of using the touchpad at the back you would have both triggers and then clickable analogs so it would make the rear pad redundant except on games requiring touch pad use (which you could also make the controls interchangeable so if you wanted to use the touchpad instead of the triggers or analog click then you could).

I think it would be great with clickable analogs and additional triggers for games requiring heavy use of either.

14. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      Where would you put them? The thing is too thin for two triggers on each side. Clickable analogues might be doable but I imagine they would be tricky to use well on such small sticks.

This reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car…:smashin:

15. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      lol... that's why it would have to be essentially like the 3dsXL in that they would have to make it bigger. I'd HAPPILY buy another Veets if it was bigger and designed in the R1/L1 and made clickable analogs. Would have to widen it for sure, but then it will also make it more comfortable for me naked as well as more room for a bigger battery... granted I know it would never happen, but I'm still hopeful they come to their senses!

16. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      It sounds like the Vita TV is what you need, you can use the Dualshock 3 on a nice big TV – or you could even rig together your own ‘console’ using a small LCD panel :)

17. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      I'll get one of those when they are in the states, but I want a Veets for on the go with all the buttons and some remote play if I'm somewhere with internet access :)

Or just make it so the Veets is playable with the DS4 via Bluetooth.

18. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      I still wonder why someone hasn't come up with a grip that has a second trigger on, all it would need is to move a rod on a pivot with a bit of material from a capacitive stylus on the other end that would make contact with the rear touchpad when you press it. For things like PS1 games or remote play it would work really well, well better than using the touch pad anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    19. Istanbul_Kop

Istanbul_Kop
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
      I guess the problem is that not all games (PS4 ones anyway) use the extra PS4 trigger buttons in the same way. Some use different areas of the touchpad for example.

20. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      Invent it and make millions!

21. Istanbul_Kop

Istanbul_Kop
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
      Don't really agree with any of this.

- Sony has always shrunk consoles. True. But why do they have to continue this? Just because it's what they have done in the past, doesn't mean they should continue in the future.

- Vita is a portable console...just. It certainly doesn't fit in most pockets. The slim addresses that slightly. However, Sony have been heavily promoting remote play with the PS4. That isn't really available on the move, and realistically not outside one's residential address. So there is a market and a thought to those who only use the Vita at home.

- Didn't say about giving the Vita a bigger screen. The screen is already big and beautiful (well, the OLED version is beautiful). Was merely using the DS XL as an example of how Nintendo recognises that many people use 'portable' consoles at home.

- Extra controls wouldn't make all previous Vitas redundant as those controls would still be available as they are now, on the touchpad and touchscreen...and Vita games wouldn't have to use the new controls. It would be for remote play only. Sony could easily stipulate this.

- Agree with the last paragraph, though when usiing without a grip, I prefer a more meaty console. But that's just a personal preference.

22. Soundburst

Soundburst
      In Memoriam

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,351
      I want the new one!

My old one looks ugly now. I cannot cope with having old tech lol. If the old one is better then surely game will trade it in for no price :p

23. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      Because...

...and it sells consoles.

Wouldn't it be great if they made a cheap Vita console you could play at home with a Dualshock 3?

[​IMG]

Oh, you said better screen, so I assumed you meant bigger since the OLED is already about as nice as they come. The LCD screen on the new one is a trade-off for battery life/cost.

Not really worth adding them then is it? The best time to add these would have been on the original Vita, so you have to ask why Sony didn't add them then. Additional cost for little gain?

24. Istanbul_Kop

Istanbul_Kop
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
      Honestly just seems like you're arguing for the sake or arguing. You're saying nothing new and some of it is even incorrect.

1. When I'm talking about the future...why do you think this means now? Like right now in regards to the Vita Slim. Key is 'the future'. Down the line.

2. Why are you even mentioning Vita TV. It needs an errr...TV. It's not really a comparable product. The whole idea of remote play it to take it away from the TV.

3. Did I say better screen? No. Read it again. I say 'better screen' in reference to the current vita up against the new slim.

4. You really think remote play as it is now was in Sony's mind when they were in the design stages of the Vita? Really? Or where they just thinking it's a bit of a gimmick with the PS3. That's why.

Everything that needs to be said has been said. Why even bother any more.

25. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
      Yeah 'cause hardly anyone has more than one TV in the house. I think you just don't like having your supreme opinion put into question. I don't agree and your logic is flawed Q.E.D.

Remote Play was a feature of the PSP, so yes, it's pretty clear it has been on Sony's mind for a while now, long before the Vita was on the drawing board.

Do yourself a favour and never go into marketing.

26. paul1979

paul1979

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,291
      Small is best.... My wife has noted this several times to me, and she is a female so can't be wrong! :)

27. Istanbul_Kop

Istanbul_Kop
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +262
      When you start to get personal, it basically means you've lost the plot.

Please don't continue to embarrass yourself any further.

Let it rest for all our sakes, there's just no need for any continued abuse from you.

28. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Nothing wrong with the old one IMO. No 'upgrade' for me.

29. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +557
    30. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings: