PS Vita questions...

MrMister111

Probably buying a Vita for son, got a load I questions for some gurus out there, in no particular order, thanks in advance.

1) I have a PS3 with my account and son has his as a sub account, if he signs in on Vita for his PS3 SEN account and redeems his codes for Vita games will it be registered in my account also for future reference?

2) Does the Vita play movies from a memory card, can you just convert them and play direct (eg for on holiday maybe), or even better can it stream from a WiFi USB stick? Does it have any AV out to connect to a TV?

3) Getting the new slim model, can the 1Gb just be used for game saves and maybe small games only?

4) Don't have a PS4, do have PS3, what games remote play?

5) Can MP3 music just be copied to a memory card and played direct for him?

6) If I buy some codes off eBay now say, can I just add them to my PS3 SEN account and they will be available to him also when he gets the Vita and logs into his account?

7) The 3G version, what's it for? Useful? Is it just for playing online when out and about? Can you not use the WiFi version with personal hotspot to an iPhone for example?

8) Is there anyway if you buy a PS Vita game, also get the code? Sounds daft but rather have codes for storage on memory cards than swapping (and losing!) specific Vita game cards.

More to follow.....

Last edited:

Stinja

3) Getting the new slim model, can the 1Gb just be used for game saves and maybe small games only?

7) The 3G version, what's it for? Useful? Is it just for playing online when out and about? Can you not use the WiFi version with personal hotspot to an iPhone for example?
I can only answer a couple of these:
3) It only uses the slim's built-in memory if you do not have a main memory card installed.
ie: no SD card = 1GB built-in, yes to saves and small games. mem card = ignores internal 1GB.

7) if you can make a wifi hotspot, then yes i dont think there's a need for 3G.
3G on the old fat model meant you could do network stuff, but slowly. So in theory you could play online and download, practically you'd want it more for messaging, purchasing (but not downloading) games, checking friends online.

I think all your music and movie stuff would work, but never tried it myself.
Remote Play with the PS4 is good on certain games, less so on others, i guess PS3 is similar.

Sonic67

Banned
2) Does the Vita play movies from a memory card, can you just convert them and play direct (eg for on holiday maybe),
You need to install some software onto your computer and then transfer music, films etc to the Vita. You can then play from the Vita.

5) Can MP3 music just be copied to a memory card and played direct for him?
Same as with films.
7) The 3G version, what's it for? Useful? Is it just for playing online when out and about? Can you not use the WiFi version with personal hotspot to an iPhone for example.
I never use the 3G aspect. Wifi is good enough.

mikeyp

2) ...Does it have any AV out to connect to a TV?
No AV out.

The internal memory can be used for anything I believe, however it cannot be used in conjunction with a memory card. And as you'll definitely want a memory card, the internal memory is basically useless.

4) Don't have a PS4, do have PS3, what games remote play?
PS4 remote play is great. PS3 remote play hardly supports any games (and never really worked for me either, even on supported games).

I've never had a 3G vita, but I don't think you can even do online gaming with it. It's basically for leaderboard stuff, messaging, browsing. Not really worth it tbh.

8) Is there anyway if you buy a PS Vita game, also get the code? Sounds daft but rather have codes for storage on memory cards than swapping (and losing!) specific Vita game cards.
Nope - you need the physical card in to play.

Det

Distinguished Member
The 3G Vita might work with Persona 4 Golden type stuff where you basically download a series of things that add to the game, but not necessarily any kind of online gaming. Just throwing that out there. Also saying that I don't believe it's worth it.

MrMister111

So 3G sounds pointless for what we would need, so that's out.

Sounds like convert then transfer for movies and music rather than just copy and paste to the memory card then - pain but do-able!

The inbuilt 1Gb can't be used in tandem if you have a memory card inserted?!? How daft is that. How can you run a PS Vita with just 1Gb, surely Sony must have realised that people were going to use a memory card as well as probably wanting game saves or small games on the inbuilt memory? So you have to physically remove a memory card to access inbuilt memory?

Sonic67

Banned
The PSP Vita came in for criticism as it wasn't obvious a memory card was essential. I suppose some people got one on Christmas morning and couldn't use it at all. Last year my girlfriend bought one as a present for me. No games and no memory card. Very nice of her and not a huge deal for me. I ordered a card and games of Amazon and had them a few days later.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom