PS Vita - a new lease of life

jouster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So recently there have been a spate of mentions of the PS Vita on the “show us your purchases” thread and this alone got me to get mine out of a drawer where it has been for at least 6-7 years.

Like many, I picked mine up at launch at the promise of its amazing functionality and at the start I quite enjoyed playing on it. Of course the free PS+ games gave it a bit of a jolt but in truth the expensive price of memory cards put most people off.

So into the drawer it went

Then a few weeks ago someone here mentioned Custom Firmware and facilitating micro SD cafds and I’ll be honest, it piqued my interest - I’m glad it was mentioned where it was or I could easily have missed it.

So within 24 hours I’d ordered an SD2Vita, this one, although it’s currently unavailable from the same seller. I already had a spare 256GB Micro SD card, as you do, so I had everything I needed to at least get started

Thanks to some of the early posts, I was pointed towards the following site

vita.hacks.guide

It gives a LOAD of info which is a bit much to take in at first if honest.

My Vita was still on 3.60 firmware so the CFW process was very simple

there are also a lot of YouTubers that cover a lot of stuff in details

Tech James & Tech Savvy Buyer are two well worth checking out.

There is a lot that can be done once the CFW is installed and two I’m really interested in are Homebrew and Emulation. In particular I’ve been very interested in MAME and Amiga Emulation. I’m even playing JetSetWilly II again which was a big favourite back in the day.

Most of the stuff you can do on the Vita you can also do using a PlayStation TV. I helped a mate mod his and he was in Amiga emulation heaven after a few hours

To keep things above board, can I please ask that no one discusses anything illegal in here.

So basically no asking about any games or ROMs in anyway as those mentions will be tidied up and warnings will be given.

This is really interesting for me and I’m sure those of us that have disappeared down the rabbit hole can offer some assistance to anyone knew to this.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Your sd2vita link is not working - comes up as "about:blank#blocked'

Looking forward to checking out the homebrew community again, been absolutely ages since I done this on my psp which unfortunately is not used unless going on holidays.. seen a decent looking duck hunt homebrew game and one that is like cod zombies lol

Going to have to dig the psp out to find out a name of a homebrew game I had in there to see what happened to it... it was a FPS with bow and arrow and if I recall correctly Dino's

The adrenaline app looks really good.

Got a ton of vita games from my ps+ sub as I added them to library in case I ever got a Vita.. I assume/hope that when setup I can download those straight into the micro SD card in the sd2vita adapter as the official card I got is only 4gb lol..

Your sd2vita link is not working - comes up as "about:blank#blocked'

Looking forward to checking out the homebrew community again, been absolutely ages since I done this on my psp which unfortunately is not used unless going on holidays.. seen a decent looking duck hunt homebrew game and one that is like cod zombies lol

Going to have to dig the psp out to find out a name of a homebrew game I had in there to see what happened to it... it was a FPS with bow and arrow and if I recall correctly Dino's

The adrenaline app looks really good.

Got a ton of vita games from my ps+ sub as I added them to library in case I ever got a Vita.. I assume/hope that when setup I can download those straight into the micro SD card in the sd2vita adapter as the official card I got is only 4gb lol..

yes, from the different Videos I’ve watched you can set the Sd2Vita card as your primary storage card and the Vita card will then become redundant unless you need to reformat/reset

It worked well for me

oh and I fixed the link, thanks for the heads up

Yer that's pretty much what I thought.. soon figure it all out when I start playing about with it.

Surprised how many vita games I got on the store to download (I would of only stuck ones that interested me into library) - just bloody wish it only showed PS vita games in the download list though and not all the PS4 & PS3 games as well!!

I got one of the white looking ones coming off ebay... Fingers crossed it works ok.

The issue with the SD2VITA not being recognised in my PS Vita is down to running Firmware 3.73.

When I have time I'll search if there is a workaround and if not will seek out some video's on how to roll back the firmware.

It is working fine on internal memory though.

The issue with the SD2VITA not being recognised in my PS Vita is down to running Firmware 3.73.

When I have time I'll search if there is a workaround and if not will seek out some video's on how to roll back the firmware.

It is working fine on internal memory though.

Are you on standard firmware then? I thought SD2Vita only worked on CFW anyway.

Are you on standard firmware then? I though SD2Vita only worked on CFW anyway.

Yes you'll need to be running a compatible CFW in order for SD2Vita to be reocgnised before chaging settings to make it properly usable

Are you on standard firmware then? I thought SD2Vita only worked on CFW anyway.

All new to me....... and I see it would work on 3.73, but failed to take note that the card would not.

I have the PS Vita slim with built in memory.

Will be checking out a few video's soon to get my head around it :)

I’d highly recommend going down to 3.60 or 3.65.

either works fine for most things and you can spoof the system for access to PlayStation store and run addons for games that need newer OS to work

I’d highly recommend going down to 3.60 or 3.65.

either works fine for most things and you can spoof the system for access to PlayStation store and run addons for games that need newer OS to work
Cheers

I've pretty much done everything to the letter and it works.... I just should not have updated the firmware, which works, but will not accept the new card.

Will go back on firmware soon.

Yes you'll need to be running a compatible CFW in order for SD2Vita to be reocgnised before chaging settings to make it properly usable

I put my console onto henkaku enso last week. My console was on 3.70 and I couldn't do much with it until I updated it to 3.73. I think had to go down to 3.65 before 3.60 so that I could put the cfw on it. My SD2Vita should be arriving today so I need to read up on how to get that working next.

Cheers

I've pretty much done everything to the letter and it works.... I just should not have updated the firmware, which works, but will not accept the new card.

Will go back on firmware soon.
Moduro is what you want. Or something like that

What's the benefit of enso other than not having to run the exploit every time you reboot ps vita?

Still waiting for my adapter to arrive before doing anything with my vita

What's the benefit of enso other than not having to run the exploit every time you reboot ps vita?

Still waiting for my adapter to arrive before doing anything with my vita
I’m pretty sure that’s it. If you have no issue running the app everytime you restart then enso has little other benefit (that I’m aware of)

for me I’m sure I’d forget, try to run something, get an error message, start it and then carry on. For that reason I’d always use Enso

Why would you NOT use it ?

Why would you NOT use it ?

And that is a good question... Will have a Google and read to see what i can find out.. I guess there is some compatibility issues somewhere along the line..

I know I need to roll back anyway to be able to use adrenaline.

And that is a good question... Will have a Google and read to see what i can find out.. I guess there is some compatibility issues somewhere along the line..

I know I need to roll back anyway to be able to use adrenaline.
Everything I’ve done with mine works with Enso on 3.60.

Just noticed while running though a few video's.

More watching tomorrow.

Your device must already run HENkaku/h-encore on firmwares 3.60-3.70 in order to use this software. ATTENTION: You should NOT attempt downgrading using modoru on FW 3.71-3.73

U think the notes just haven't been updated

On vita.hacks and code donut it says

"Firmwares 3.65 – 3.73 can also use this software with the h-encore² exploit"

Note this is h-encore2 not h-encore

I'll find out as soon as my adapter turns up lol

U think the notes just haven't been updated

On vita.hacks and code donut it says

"Firmwares 3.65 – 3.73 can also use this software with the h-encore² exploit"

Note this is h-encore2 not h-encore

I'll find out as soon as my adapter turns up lol

Possible and one to check before perhaps causing any issue's.

I've just done a fresh install and have h-encore² installed and was just looking into rolling back to FW 3.65

More watching tomorrow as I attempt to make the memory card work :D

Pretty sure Jouster's second vita he picked up was rolled backed from 3.73

Also, same with miss mandy - she had to update to 3.73 then roll back (post 11)

Sure it will be fine as long as u follow the guides fully 👍

yes mine did indeed come with 3.73 already installed....followed usual video channels and all went smoothly...was back on 3.6 henkaku enso in no time

Loving Limbo on the Vita. it’s the perfect game for the platform.
Want to get my little lad playing it as he has a clever little brain and I think he’ll love it

2EAAC64F-9E46-4231-9AD8-8AC7489B8267.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom