PS TV - a few things you need to know - article discussion

Thanks for the article. I'm intrigued, having a Vita already, but a few things remain unclear - will I be able to use PS+ games on the PS TV (assuming compatibility)?

If 'yes', then that's a potential bonus. If 'no'...then I don't fancy having to buy everything again - I think that would put a lot of people off.

It's not immediately clear to me as yet, but hopefully details will emerge over the coming weeks.

Good write up. It answered my main question about using a PS4 controller with the console (for stuff other than Remote Play).

I have a Vita and it has my games and saves stored on a memory card and I would like to know if I can just pop out my memory card from my Vita and put it in my PS TV and just continue playing games on the PS TV (and switch back)?

If I can just use my memory card between two devices I might pick it up.

Thanks for the article. I'm intrigued, having a Vita already, but a few things remain unclear - will I be able to use PS+ games on the PS TV (assuming compatibility)?

If 'yes', then that's a potential bonus. If 'no'...then I don't fancy having to buy everything again - I think that would put a lot of people off.

It's not immediately clear to me as yet, but hopefully details will emerge over the coming weeks.

Well, the Japanese bundle included a code for 90 days of PS Plus, so I'm assuming your existing subscription will suffice and the content will be accessible from the PS TV without any need to buy again.

Good write up. It answered my main question about using a PS4 controller with the console (for stuff other than Remote Play).

I have a Vita and it has my games and saves stored on a memory card and I would like to know if I can just pop out my memory card from my Vita and put it in my PS TV and just continue playing games on the PS TV (and switch back)?

If I can just use my memory card between two devices I might pick it up.

It should work that way.

This was in the Engadget review here

"If you already own a Vita handheld, you'll need just the one card. We could eject the Vita [TV] game cart and memory card, slot them into our portable Vita and play the same games from the same game saves. Aside from wrestling the memory card out of the slot, it's a pretty straightforward process, meaning you can continue your portable gaming on a bigger screen, with an arguably more comfortable control setup."

Sounds good. Now to get more of the PSOne games and whatnot confirmed to work (and no reason they shouldn't). Glaring omissions for me were the core Final Fantasy series...

Could i use this as a Bluetooth extender? i.e if i have my PS4 running on a TV in a different room using an HDMI splitter, could the PS TV then use remote play to control the PS4 but i'd still view the image via splitter to keep 1080P? Or would there be a delay?

Could i use this as a Bluetooth extender? i.e if i have my PS4 running on a TV in a different room using an HDMI splitter, could the PS TV then use remote play to control the PS4 but i'd still view the image via splitter to keep 1080P? Or would there be a delay?

So, a splitter from the TV hooked up to the PS4? That's a really interesting idea, in theory it should be possible to view the screen attached to the PS4 whilst controlling it via PS TV.

When you use a Vita to access the PS4 via remote play, the image is still viewable on the original TV screen attached to the PS4, so it should hopefully be the same with PS TV.

As for the delay, well I'd assume it'd go some way to fixing the problem of the streamed image, but input lag might still be an issue. I'll gladly defer to someone techier on this one though.

So, a splitter from the TV hooked up to the PS4? That's a really interesting idea, in theory it should be possible to view the screen attached to the PS4 whilst controlling it via PS TV.

When you use a Vita to access the PS4 via remote play, the image is still viewable on the original TV screen attached to the PS4, so it should hopefully be the same with PS TV.

As for the delay, well I'd assume it'd go some way to fixing the problem of the streamed image, but input lag might still be an issue. I'll gladly defer to someone techier on this one though.

I hope it does work and if it does, i'll be buying one!

I'm just a tad out of Bluetooth range at the mo, i can get to the door of the study (PS4 in Lounge) and it still works but as soon as i enter the room it looses connection.

PS TV could be my answer!

I posted this as a thread in the vita section, but it does seem vita and PSTV will be getting a network media player soon.

The ultimate PlayStation TV FAQ - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

I love the idea of the PSTV, i know there's limitations to it but for your average joe being able to play your PS4 in a second room for £85 even if it is at 720p is a great idea. I won't be getting one straight away as I don't need it in a second room but I can definitely see me getting one at some point in the PS4's lifetime

Doesn't support DLNA according to the US blog entry of the same ilk sadly. Nor does it confirm any support for my beloved FF games!

Doesn't support DLNA according to the US blog entry of the same ilk sadly. Nor does it confirm any support for my beloved FF games!
Strange they differ between regions on the DLNA question:

Will PS TV support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The Network Media Player (coming soon to PS TV and PS Vita) can be used to access media servers over a network. The Network Media Player can be used to view photos and stream music and videos from a media server located on your home network. You can also copy photos, music and video files from the media server to your system.

You're right though, there's no mention of Final Fantasy on the games list page either, I would have though all classics would work, it's essentially just a vita in a box after all

Strange they differ between regions on the DLNA question:

You're right though, there's no mention of Final Fantasy on the games list page either, I would have though all classics would work, it's essentially just a vita in a box after all
Yeah the EU page isn't committing either way! Bit odd, but not really my priority, though it would be a SUPERB reason to have it in the bedroom if it would work with served music and films on the media server downstairs :D

No reason classics/regular Vita games shouldn't work, but I will let someone else find out before I consider one to be honest.

There's part of me hoping sony sort out their media server side of things soon. With microsoft getting plex yesterday i'm a little envious that my PS4 still can't do anything like that, but with the ps ecosystem now having the TV and vita it could be done well if they released the apps for it.

I may get a PSTV yet, i'm planning on living away for 12 months so one of these could be great to stuff i na suitcase to use in hotels from time to time

There's part of me hoping sony sort out their media server side of things soon. With microsoft getting plex yesterday i'm a little envious that my PS4 still can't do anything like that, but with the ps ecosystem now having the TV and vita it could be done well if they released the apps for it.

I may get a PSTV yet, i'm planning on living away for 12 months so one of these could be great to stuff i na suitcase to use in hotels from time to time

If only there was an app to cast my Vita to the TV ...

Anyhow - I'm with you there - the limitations of the Sony console systems to stream a wide array of media is quite disappointing and somewhat archaic in the modern times. I'll wait for some EU reviews :)

Well techradar have reviewed this and they are saying final fantasy 7 is in the shop and works

One of the Store's best features is the curated list that displays "optimized" PSTV titles like The Lego Movie videogame and Minecraft for kids, and Killzone Mercenary and Borderlands 2 for adults that will play in native 1080i. If you're in the mood for something more nostalgic, the PSX Classics look good too. (And yes, before you ask, Final Fantasy VII is on there.)

Full review here but it sounds like what my initial concerns were haven't changed, good idea, has potential but ultimately sony haven't managed to get any partners on board and the vita games aren't great. Still as a remote play and classics machine it seems a good buy

Sony PlayStation TV review | Gaming Reviews | TechRadar

Do you *need* a vita memory card, even for streaming from a PS4 (remote play)?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom