PS Audio Sprout as a pre amp

stuartk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a PS Audio Sprout amp as I’m reverting back to stereo having had an AV System using a Denon 4100.

The sound it gives is good but the Denon sounds not far off it without the Schitt DAC.

I also bought a Schitt Modi DAC and a Bluesound Node 2i connected to Focal Aria 926 speakers.

I feel the amp has to be turned up a lot before I get a decent volume.

My room is 20ft square.

Should I get a power amp using the RCA out of the Sprout to connect to the power amp,
is that even possible?
Any help appreciated as I’m not used to 2 channel, DAC’s etc.

Stuart.

If your room is 20sq ft, you are better off with headphones :)

The Sprout100 is apparently rated for 100W and it is an amp. PS Audio is a good brand and should be able to drive the Focal's. No need to buy another amp (to replace the PS Audio Sprout)?? You should have the DAC and Bluesound connects to the PS Audio Sprout, and the Sprout to the speakers.

He said 20ft square not 20sq ft - there is a difference.

The Sprout is 50w into 8ohms and the Focals are a nominal 8ohms so the Sprout is right at the entry level for power for those speakers. More power would help if you want the best out of them. You could connect a power amp to the analogue outs and just use the Sprout as a preamp as you suggest.

Thanks for the reply’s.
In the end I returned the Sprout and bought the IOTAVX Stack.
Way better with the Focal’s what an excellent combo they are the sound is so much more punchier with great clarity and a solid build with a great deal at £700 for both.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom