1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS and my Panny 6

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordie, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really experienced in this PS technology and would like to find out a few things.

I have a Panny 6 plasma and a Pioneer 575 DVD player.

As I understand the Panasonic will convert the signal to progressive scan as will the dvd player.

But how can I stop the Panasonic from converting it so I can see if the player can convert it better - or am I being stupid.

I am asuming that because I cannot tell a difference AT ALL when I switch PS on and off on the DVD player that it is the plasma that is doing the converting - is this right?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When you output interlaced from the DVD player the screen will convert to progressive.

When you output progessive from the DVD player the screen will just display it as progressive (as deinterlaced by the DVD player) but the screen will scale it to the screens native resolution.

Whether you will see much of a difference depends on how big the difference between the screen's & DVD players deinterlacers are. It may be only very subtle in some scenes & a marked difference in others. (Or of course no difference at all ;) )

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Vonhosen is spot on.

The deinterlacer in the Panny 6 is not bad - I tried it with Insurrection, and it made a good stab of it. Certainly better than I was expecting.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I shouldn't be too bothered which deinterlacer is better, the DVD player or the plasma?

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Use which one performs the best to your eyes, if you can't tell the difference, don't worry just enjoy the movie.