PS 5 (digital) won't power on at all - do PS Support Replace/Repair in days or weeks?

rhodos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my (thankfully) almost year old PS5 digital simply won't power on at all. It was fine yesterday but nothing this morning. I've tried all the usual 'fixes' or different socket, different lead, no other leads in the machine, power out for 20 mins etc etc. But nope it is fully and completely dead.

Its from Amazon and I've never had any problems on any product getting a full refund from Amazon; however with a PS5 I don't really want that because I then join the 'find a PS5' brigade again and that could be a long wait.
Thus my question would anyone with experience of using Sony PS support directly care to cement on their effectiveness. I assume they ask you to send the machine back and replace it with the same model? How long does that typically take? If its 2 weeks then that's probably quicker than trying to find another PS5 myself, if its a complete ball-ache of a process that takes weeks and weeks then I may go for the refund and re-buy it myself.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi all, my (thankfully) almost year old PS5 digital simply won't power on at all. It was fine yesterday but nothing this morning. I've tried all the usual 'fixes' or different socket, different lead, no other leads in the machine, power out for 20 mins etc etc. But nope it is fully and completely dead.

Its from Amazon and I've never had any problems on any product getting a full refund from Amazon; however with a PS5 I don't really want that because I then join the 'find a PS5' brigade again and that could be a long wait.
Thus my question would anyone with experience of using Sony PS support directly care to cement on their effectiveness. I assume they ask you to send the machine back and replace it with the same model? How long does that typically take? If its 2 weeks then that's probably quicker than trying to find another PS5 myself, if its a complete ball-ache of a process that takes weeks and weeks then I may go for the refund and re-buy it myself.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Have you tried changing the fuse in the plug?

Have you tried changing the fuse in the plug?
:) As per my post I've tried a different lead, I've tried a different wall socket and I've proven each of the leads and wall sockets are fine by connecting a different device to them and they power fine. So its definitely a completely dead PS5.

My question is seeking feedback on experience with Sony in getting a replacement versus just getting a refund and buying another :)

Last edited:
Would you get a refund after nearly a year? I know you get a one year manufacturer warranty for fixes. I’d be tempted to look into the psu and purchase a new one of those, my not be cost effective as I don’t know how much a fix is out of warranty as mine is nearly over a year. It would be satisfying though. Should be easy enough to check the psu.

Would you get a refund after nearly a year? I know you get a one year manufacturer warranty for fixes. I’d be tempted to look into the psu and purchase a new one of those, my not be cost effective as I don’t know how much a fix is out of warranty as mine is nearly over a year. It would be satisfying though. Should be easy enough to check the psu.
UK law gives you a refund mate and I've had refunds way beyond a year with Amazon. That's one of their plus points. No chance I'd touch it myself, that would put your consumer rights at risk 😀.

UK law gives you a refund mate and I've had refunds way beyond a year with Amazon. That's one of their plus points. No chance I'd touch it myself, that would put your consumer rights at risk 😀.
Is that right, I always thought it was a 30 day refund policy anywhere. Good to know.

I went with a warranty return with Sony in the end.

It may take them up to 3 weeks to return/replace it but at least I am certain to have a working PS5 in 2-3 weeks and they even extend the warranty by a further 3 months beyond the day of return. All included in the original price :)

Just to close this off. I received a free replacement from Sony, an apparently new gen 2 PS5 on Saturday.
So all good and can recommend using their warranty return service :)

To Dave at al, remember that a manufacturer warranty is completely different to your consumer (legal) rights.
  • Sony provide a 12 month warranty on the PS5 in the UK, so no matter what, they will fix/replace within 12 months
  • In addition the seller (Amazon in this case, but it applies to every seller) must
a) refund/replace within 30 days no matter what
b) refund/replace within 6 months unless THEY can prove it was your issue and not a device issue
c) refund/replace up to 6 years so long as YOU can prove it was a device issue i.e. you were using it as defined and it had the issue earlier than one can reasonably expect such a device to last.

Its the last bit, the reasonable factor, that leads most cases in (c) to assume its within 12 months, i.e. you can reasonably expect a device to operate without issue for 12 months, but the consumer rights are 6 years :)

In my case, and I've used it a few times with Amazon on other devices, if the devise had been 18 months old I would have argued that I could reasonably expect a £360 device with very few moving parts to last more than 18 months. And I have always succeeded in that discussion with Amazon.

Happy to be corrected by a more acute source of info.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom