PS 4 in USA

squitty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping you can help me. I am in the USA for the release of the PS4 and will be there for about a week after. What do you think my chances are of getting a console? What should I look out for when buying?

Thank you for any help.

Hi,

Hoping you can help me. I am in the USA for the release of the PS4 and will be there for about a week after. What do you think my chances are of getting a console? What should I look out for when buying?

Thank you for any help.

Somewhere between fat and slim ;)

In all seriousness though, try Best Buy who have a number of midnight launch events that you could try

PlayStation 4: PS4 Games, PS4 Console - Best Buy

Try calling the nearest Best Buy to where you are staying and pre-order? May be worth a shout?

What should I look out for when buying?

Don't let them bait and switch you into buying a more expensive console.
Are you aware that you will not be able to play UK region blu rays on it?

Don't let them bait and switch you into buying a more expensive console.
Are you aware that you will not be able to play UK region blu rays on it?

Indeed - movies only. Although bear in mind that 70% of Blu-Rays are not region encoded anyway.

Why buys Blu-Rays anyway?

Hi,
Thank you for the info and suggestions. I know my chances would be slim. I am staying near a Best Buy so will give them a try along with the likes of Walmart and Super Target. I only want the console for gaming as I have a separate Blu-Ray player.

Is that 70% of those sold in the UK?

Millions of people. Trick question?

70% of movie titles released on Blu-Ray.

Main studios you have to watch out for:
  • 20th Century Fox - most films region encoded
  • Lions Gate - some films region encoded
  • MGM - some films region encoded
Warner Bros, Paramount, Sony, Universal and Disney release most, if not all, of their titles region-free.

I wont continue as it will derail the thread but I cannot see the point of buying movies, watching something once is enough for me, it just sits on the shelf gathering dust after that.

I wont continue as it will derail the thread but I cannot see the point of buying movies, watching something once is enough for me, it just sits on the shelf gathering dust after that.

Largely agree with you, barring a few classics, I tend to rely on Lovefilm and Sky to meet my movie needs.

But many others disagree.

70% of movie titles released on Blu-Ray.

Main studios you have to watch out for:
  • 20th Century Fox - most films region encoded
  • Lions Gate - some films region encoded
  • MGM - some films region encoded
Warner Bros, Paramount, Sony, Universal and Disney release most, if not all, of their titles region-free.

Thanks, but the 70% figure is kind of pointless unless it relates to 70% of "UK" releases. As we are talking about a region locked machine.
That 70% worldwide figure could mean 100% of "UK" releases are locked, or 0% are locked.

I think the threads done anyway.
Goes for all media.
Why buy music? You've heard it once.
Why buy games? You've played it once.
Why get married? You've $*&! her once.

Thanks, but the 70% figure is kind of pointless unless it relates to 70% of "UK" releases. As we are talking about a region locked machine.
That 70% worldwide figure could mean 100% of "UK" releases are locked, or 0% are locked.

I think the threads done anyway.
Goes for all media.
Why buy music? You've heard it once.
Why buy games? You've played it once.
Why get married? You've $*&! her once.

not-sure-if-serious_1320385718.jpg

70% refers to the percentage of movie titles that have been released on BR that are region-free. If something is region-free it is kind of irrelevant if it was a UK release or not.

70% refers to the percentage of movie titles that have been released on BR that are region-free. If something is region-free it is kind of irrelevant if it was a UK release or not.

I think you're missing my point.

Let's agree that 70% of Blu Ray released wordwide are region free.
Does this mean that if I bought 100 films in HMV that 70 of them will play on a US PS4?

On average, probably - provided that you didn't just go and grab a handful of 20th Century Fox titles.

For every 100 Films released on Blu-Ray you can play 70 of them on any Blu-Ray player regardless of where you bought the disk.

Just stay in the US. Problem solved.

Then you can avoid buying overpriced blu-rays here instead of the overpriced blu-rays in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom