PS4 Pro, ( #fortheproplayers)

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles. The current PS4 can output 4K photos and videos, but cannot support 4K resolutions for games. With this upgrade, it would. Besides resolution, developers would have an opportunity to push more effects and other graphical tweaks to make their games look better, thanks to the new GPU.

The circle of people who knew about this upgraded PS4 was small until recently. I first heard about the device from one trusted source, then two. Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Stephen Totilo were also able to independently verify the existence of these hardware plans with their own developer sources, although some of the details have been vague; one source told us that the device felt “exploratory” and that it may not even be released this year.The PS4.5 may not be alone, either.

I’ve heard whispers about an upgraded Xbox One for a while now, and Microsoft has been public about the possibility. At a press briefing earlier this month, Xbox head Phil Spencer hinted to journalists that his company has been exploring the possibility of evolving hardware.More here:

Group

I have a 4k tv so I'm all good with it , if true.

2016-03-18-17-55-06-230447201.jpeg

Begun the upgrade wars has.

Last edited:
It will be cheaper , the article states 4k is only twice the resulution of 1080 :facepalm:;).
Actually, they said '4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p'
...sooooo 4K has really big chunky (twice the size) pixels? :laugh:

remember the VR headset also has a processor so maybe it works in tandem with the upgraded PS4.5 processor

I can't see them doing this, how would they market it without mad dickey confusing the consumer.

It is a potentially interesting change from the historical norm. I notice that there are strong rumours of MS releasing an XB1 upgrade as well. Not sure how it will all work though, unless they release some add on device that works in parallel with the main console. Certainly not impossible though as you could have the 2nd GPU working in a configuration similar to SLI.

I'd hope it wasn't an SLI solution. They can't get the pc drivers sorted for it never mind introducing the consoles to it!!

I'd hope it wasn't an SLI solution. They can't get the pc drivers sorted for it never mind introducing the consoles to it!!
That's a PC issue though. Much easier to do with a dedicated format like a console. The theory of it is sound.

That's a PC issue though. Much easier to do with a dedicated format like a console. The theory of it is sound.
I'm not so confident. Plus I wouldn't want to see any type of add on tbh. Would be held back by USB too.

I'd want it to be a more powerful new console. Perhaps all it is, is just a new console that will have the VR box but in instead of seperate.

Be a case of all the definitive edition remakes will be remade again :)

I'm not so confident. Plus I wouldn't want to see any type of add on tbh. Would be held back by USB too.

I'd want it to be a more powerful new console. Perhaps all it is, is just a new console that will have the VR box but in instead of seperate.

Be a case of all the definitive edition remakes will be remade again :)
Maybe, but i'm not sure that would work. If it's basically an upgraded PS4 so that you still had PS4 games running on it, but the capability to run some games that the oder consoles could not run, then you have a split user base. The PS4 has sold well and has an established user base. How many of those will sell up and buy a new console, having only fairly recently bought the PS4.

Perhaps if they could sell it as a niche device and if they didn't expect huge sales from it , it could work.

An add on would open it up to the existing user base as well and it could become a more mainstream product.

this guy upgraded his PS4 just adding his phone to a USB and it can be run in SLI just by adding 2 phones:thumbsup:

edit the phones must be equal, can't mix Android with an Iphone lol

I'm still waiting for the video where he turns water in to wine :facepalm:

Last edited:
Haha I've watched that one before. Quite amusing

The free ps+ one is good. Lots in the comments asking if it works lol

Some folk are so dim, it's amazing that they can actually use the Internet.

I'm excited by 4K but we have waited how long and sky still don't broadcast at 1080p.
Game developers are still struggling at 1080p. 4K on consoles needs to be a pc5 no half bread wait a while milk the 4 then release the 5. If it's a big upgrade on the GPU which it will need to be and a fan the size of NASA to keep it cool bearing in mind how rubbish the ps4 fans are. The cost of running a ps4 and a ps4.5 will be pointless. There will need to be seperate discs and that will confuse enough. For me console gaming doesn't need 4K yet people still play PS3....

I just like buying stuff, so I'll take one...

Sort the wifi out too please

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom