Ps 3 audio settings

akelly

Standard Member
HI ALL JUST BOUGHT A PS3 AND NEED SOME INFO ON CONNECTING IT TO MY AV RECIEVER WHICH IS A HARMAN KARDON AVR155.WHAT SETTINGS ON MY PS3 DO I NEED TO CHANGE TO GET THE BEST POSSIBLE SOUND,I HAVE ALSO CONNECTED IT TO THE AMP VIA HDMI AND OPTICAL THEN HAVE 1 HDMI RUNNING FROM MY AMP TO THE TV IS THIS A CORRECT WAY OF DOING IT ALSO RUNNING MY HD SKY THE SAME WAY ?? MANY THANKS:thumbsup:

Sidneysideboard

Novice Member
Hi akelly,

I don't have the same amp but think this should apply.

I'm not using an optical for audio between my PS3 and amp, just the hdmi. You should be able to do the same and when you go into PS3 audio settings it should pick up that hdmi is in use. I think it automatically picks a load of formats but you might have to choose all the audio formats that your amp can accept, which should be most of them except the linear pcm modes which is for HD audio. I don't think the AVR155 supports this. The PS3 should then pick the best available output depending on what you are using it for CD/game/DVD/blu-ray.

Hope this helps.

akelly

Standard Member
hi thanks for the reply when i just use the hdmi cable i get no sound its only when i connect the optical cable that i get sound if that makes any sense:thumbsup:

Sidneysideboard

Novice Member
Have you got a PS3 slim? I have and it has some different audio abilitites compared to the standard model so that could be a difference.

Have you looked at the audio settings while just the hdmi cable is plugged in to see if you can set the output to hdmi?

Other than that my list of ideas ends!

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Go into sound settings and choose HDMI to output sound. If you choose 'automatic' it will decide what sound formats it will play for you, if you choose 'manual' just check all the boxes and click through to the end.

Then go to 'video settings' scroll down to 'BD/dvd audio hdmi' and select 'bitstream' if you have slim or 'LPCM' if you have an old phat one.

Should be good to go

Saf

Edit: You can unplug yuor optical lead as you dont need it. HDMI will transmit all sound formats including HD audio as well as HD video

Last edited:

Sidneysideboard

Novice Member
Go into sound settings and choose HDMI to output sound. If you choose 'automatic' it will decide what sound formats it will play for you, if you choose 'manual' just check all the boxes and click through to the end.

Then go to 'video settings' scroll down to 'BD/dvd audio hdmi' and select 'bitstream' if you have slim or 'LPCM' if you have an old phat one.

Should be good to go

Saf

Edit: You can unplug yuor optical lead as you dont need it. HDMI will transmit all sound formats including HD audio as well as HD video
What I was trying to say only better!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom